Big Law --- The Hours Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law --- The Hours

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 pm

How much of a difference in hours is there between the firms at the very top of the rankings and those a bit lower down? Is it enough to consider a lower ranked firm for the prospect of not losing my sanity, or should I just bite the bullet and invest in my future in the best firm?

For example, is there that much of a difference in the number of hours worked btw. Simpson Thacher and a Fried Frank or Ropes & Gray (all in NY)?

Bosque

Gold

Re: Big Law --- The Hours

Post by Bosque » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How much of a difference in hours is there between the firms at the very top of the rankings and those a bit lower down? Is it enough to consider a lower ranked firm for the prospect of not losing my sanity, or should I just bite the bullet and invest in my future in the best firm?

For example, is there that much of a difference in the number of hours worked btw. Simpson Thacher and a Fried Frank or Ropes & Gray (all in NY)?
http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

HTH

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How much of a difference in hours is there between the firms at the very top of the rankings and those a bit lower down? Is it enough to consider a lower ranked firm for the prospect of not losing my sanity, or should I just bite the bullet and invest in my future in the best firm?

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

HTH
does it list average hours somewhere? All I've seen on that page before related to hrs is whether or not there is a minimum billing requirement.

War Cardinal

New

Post by War Cardinal » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:05 pm

If you're worried about hours, don't go into biglaw.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks! That's what I assumed.

I just always hear about the firm culture and quality of life at Ropes. I was wondering how much of that is someone sitting in a room at Vault and how much it should actually be considered.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:53 pm

If you have to ask about the hours in biglaw, then biglaw isn't for you.

On a firm by firm basis, hours can be tough to distinguish b/w firms. Firms will publish their min for bonuses. See Chambers. I would focus on finding the firm that seems to be the best fit b/c you'll be pulling 2,000+ wherever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! That's what I assumed.

I just always hear about the firm culture and quality of life at Ropes. I was wondering how much of that is someone sitting in a room at Vault and how much it should actually be considered.
I haven't worked at another firm, but I did work at Ropes this past summer and I thought that overall, QoL seemed to be pretty high given that it's a big firm. If you like the people and the work at Simpson better then go for it, but I think there are distinctly different firm cultures, despite what some would say.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:52 am

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:29 am

NYAssociate, what would you say your hours in the office are, on an average workday?

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 am

Brawndo86

New

Post by Brawndo86 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:29 am

From what I've read, many firms have a listed minimum for billable hours, say 2000, but in reality there is a higher unspoken "minimum" if you ever expect to make partner. Also, I've read blogs by lawyers who say it is impossible to bill every hour they are at work; at best, it's more like they bill 2/3s of their time spent at work. So for a 2000 billable minimum, you have to work a minimum of 3000 hours a year.

I visited a huge law firm as part of an outreach program I was in during 1L year, and let me tell you, the young associates who were assigned to us for the day looked terrible: bloodshot eyes, bags under eyes, clammy appearance. They had nothing interesting to say that was not job related. One of them told me that on average he works 7am-7pm five days a week, with a half day on Saturday. However, when there's a big case and document review is piling up, sometimes he would work 80-90 hrs a week.

This is really scary. Personally, time > money after a certain point.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”