Callbacks- Tips from those with High Offer/CB Ratio

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Boalt1L

Callbacks- Tips from those with High Offer/CB Ratio

Postby Boalt1L » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Hey, Boalt 2l about to embark on flyback week callbacks. Looking to you east coasters who obtained a high amount of offers on CBs, especially those where the odds were stacked against you (limited spots/ not so great grades). What were your keys to success. Any advice greatly appreciated :D .

Anonymous User

Re: Callbacks- Tips from those with High Offer/CB Ratio

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Don't overprepare - you'll sound rehearsed. Come up with a few key things about the firm that you like - bring those up in every interview and, more importantly, make a strong connection between those characteristics and yourself. Don't wait for them to ask you questions about yourself. Preempt their questions. Drive everything back home to your resume. If you like their free market system, discuss an aspect of your resume where you had to be entrepreneurial to succeed, etc.

If you have a bad grade or two or you did poorly your first semester (like myself), don't bring it up if they don't ask. More importantly, if they DO ask, don't make apologies. Provide a brief explanation (you had trouble initially adjusting to studying in law school, etc.) and move the conversation on ("...but I hit my stride second semester and, as you can see from my resume, began to come into my own when I joined X, Y, and Z student activities.").

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't overprepare - you'll sound rehearsed. Come up with a few key things about the firm that you like - bring those up in every interview and, more importantly, make a strong connection between those characteristics and yourself. Don't wait for them to ask you questions about yourself. Preempt their questions. Drive everything back home to your resume. If you like their free market system, discuss an aspect of your resume where you had to be entrepreneurial to succeed, etc.

If you have a bad grade or two or you did poorly your first semester (like myself), don't bring it up if they don't ask. More importantly, if they DO ask, don't make apologies. Provide a brief explanation (you had trouble initially adjusting to studying in law school, etc.) and move the conversation on ("...but I hit my stride second semester and, as you can see from my resume, began to come into my own when I joined X, Y, and Z student activities.").

Just to illustrate the futility of this thread, I 'overprepared' and feel that being able to discuss substantive law in my target practice area was very helpful. I knew which attorneys were into pro bono and what areas they worked in and so knew who might be open to a discussion of public interest work in a given area. I didn't drive everything back to my resume and instead let them control the flow of conversation and showed that I could intelligently discuss whatever they brought up.

Aside from very broad points, there is no recipe for success in a given interview. Hell, some partners might like the straightforwardness of someone who comes out and addresses a bad grade thereby dispelling the cloud over their candidacy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't overprepare - you'll sound rehearsed. Come up with a few key things about the firm that you like - bring those up in every interview and, more importantly, make a strong connection between those characteristics and yourself. Don't wait for them to ask you questions about yourself. Preempt their questions. Drive everything back home to your resume. If you like their free market system, discuss an aspect of your resume where you had to be entrepreneurial to succeed, etc.

Just to illustrate the futility of this thread, I 'overprepared' and feel that being able to discuss substantive law in my target practice area was very helpful. I knew which attorneys were into pro bono and what areas they worked in and so knew who might be open to a discussion of public interest work in a given area. I didn't drive everything back to my resume and instead let them control the flow of conversation and showed that I could intelligently discuss whatever they brought up.

Aside from very broad points, there is no recipe for success in a given interview. Hell, some partners might like the straightforwardness of someone who comes out and addresses a bad grade thereby dispelling the cloud over their candidacy.

I disagree a bit. I think both of these might be really solid strategies. And, of course, good grads and knowing people at the firm who can vouch for you is more important than anything else. Still, I don't think that means that hearing what has worked for different people is not useful. Then again, I have not been widely successful.

Here is my one tip. Have four or five generic questions that you have totally memorized by rote so that if they ask you if you have any questions and you totally black you can fall back on these.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:30 pm

Be enthusiastic. You could have a lot to offer but still seem really bored and uninterested, in which case you simply won't get an offer. Make the most of the initial few minutes that you spend in the interview. This includes when you first walk in the door: smile and give off the impression that you're a nice person that they will want to spend the next half hour with. I've spoken with multiple attorneys who say that they know within the first five minutes who they will recommend and who they won't.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:42 pm

enthusiasm really helps. focus on partners, they're the ones who will need to go to bat for you to get the job. the associates are really there for you to get a feel of the firm. they might provide input but it's really the partner's opinions that will matter.

in my experience, grades will still be the most important thing. If you have top grades then the callback will be a formality. the partners will probably even talk to you like as if you're going to get the job. I've had partners say to me, you'll have such great options, this is why you should come here for your goals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:enthusiasm really helps. focus on partners, they're the ones who will need to go to bat for you to get the job. the associates are really there for you to get a feel of the firm. they might provide input but it's really the partner's opinions that will matter.

in my experience, grades will still be the most important thing. If you have top grades then the callback will be a formality. the partners will probably even talk to you like as if you're going to get the job. I've had partners say to me, you'll have such great options, this is why you should come here for your goals.

I had a senior associate do this with me yesterday. If I don't get an offer, I'm gonna be pretty annoyed. It's my first choice and she got my hopes up.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:16 pm

dood wrote:be urself. people can spot through a bullshitter in seconds. dont underestimate the power of being genuine.

Unless you're a jerk, a drunk, or lazy. Then be anyone but yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:enthusiasm really helps. focus on partners, they're the ones who will need to go to bat for you to get the job. the associates are really there for you to get a feel of the firm. they might provide input but it's really the partner's opinions that will matter.

I had that happen too. No offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:52 pm

I had that happen too. No offer. Selling the firm is an easy way to kill time inoffensively. Unless you get the sense that the guy wants to have your babies, don't read too much into it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Had the same thing happen to me. Dinged.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:04 pm

I went 9/9 on my callbacks that I attended and then received offers to (I cancelled a bunch of others) - firms included PW, GDC, STB

I didnt do research at all beyond bios of the interviewers and I stayed away from everything that the firm did in detail - they know about it - you dont. what's the point in talking about it? I tried to spend time asking really general questions and just tried to be interested and friendly. I leaned forward and payed attention to body language a lot. I was just myself and generally as friendly as possible. Any questions, I don't really know what to say but would be happy to help

good luck

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:05 pm

This may be specific to my own background/resume/experience, but I think questions that show you're interested in not just getting an SA position but are actually thinking about succeeding in a career with the firm are helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I went 9/9 on my callbacks that I attended and then received offers to (I cancelled a bunch of others) - firms included PW, GDC, STB

I didnt do research at all beyond bios of the interviewers and I stayed away from everything that the firm did in detail - they know about it - you dont. what's the point in talking about it? I tried to spend time asking really general questions and just tried to be interested and friendly. I leaned forward and payed attention to body language a lot. I was just myself and generally as friendly as possible. Any questions, I don't really know what to say but would be happy to help

good luck

When an interviewer asked you to characterize something or someone, how did you respond? I feel like I'm just going superlative crazy sometimes and being so general that it might hurt me...

Also, did you have ties to the cities where you got offers out of your CBs?

Boalt1L

Postby Boalt1L » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:33 pm

Appreciate all the advice so far!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:05 pm

A question that is worth asking because it gives you good info on how the firm sees itself and gives them the impression that you want to stay at a firm for the long haul is "Is there anything common to people who tend to succeed here over the long term." I always get a good reaction to that question.

dood

Postby dood » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:22 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”