3L -> 1 yr. biglaw -> clerk (does name of law firm matter) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L -> 1 yr. biglaw -> clerk (does name of law firm matter)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm planning on working in big law for 1 year after graduating from law school, and then do a district court clerkship (Boaltie here). Obviously, I have to kick tail in my 2L and 3L years, but other than that; my question is this:

Does it matter which law firm I go to after law school for that 1 year? I'm a rising 2L, and the law firm will obviously be wherever I end up this summer (unless I get no-offered). Couldn't judges care less where I go? (Considering accepting offer at V50, and cancelling callbacks at a string of elite firms). My basic question is this; do judges solely care about law grades/journal/rank, or do they also care about which law firms their applicants are applyin from?

You may think, why would I not just wait out the recruiting cycle and wait for the elite firms to decide on my application.
The reason my question is relevant is this: all the elite firms I'm shooting for are in LA/DC, but I'm out here in Berkeley - so I could just go to this job offer in SF, this would work out really well for me for next summer + the year after law school. (I wouldn't have to move to LA or DC for the summer, and then after law school, I could just chill in my cheap situation here in Berkeley)

I cannot finnacially afford to just go do a clerkship right after law school (that 1 year worth of big law money is a big deal)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L -> 1 yr. biglaw -> clerk (does name of law firm matter)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm planning on working in big law for 1 year after graduating from law school, and then do a district court clerkship (Boaltie here). Obviously, I have to kick tail in my 2L and 3L years, but other than that; my question is this:

Does it matter which law firm I go to after law school for that 1 year? I'm a rising 2L, and the law firm will obviously be wherever I end up this summer (unless I get no-offered). Couldn't judges care less where I go? (Considering accepting offer at V50, and cancelling callbacks at a string of elite firms).
It could help if the judge worked at or has relatives/friends who work at your firm. I suppose the more prestigious the clerkship, the more likely the judge worked/has connections at an "elite" firm. In the end, I doubt it matters much, though this is a prestige-driven profession . . . .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:20 pm

if your firm has a clerkship signing bonus, you are lighting $50k on fire (in addition to a year of seniority at the firm for salary purposes) by not doing a clerkship first, no matter how much debt you have.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if your firm has a clerkship signing bonus, you are lighting $50k on fire by not doing a clerkship first, no matter how much debt you have.
$50K + $XK (pay from clerkship) <<<< $160+K

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:27 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:if your firm has a clerkship signing bonus, you are lighting $50k on fire by not doing a clerkship first, no matter how much debt you have.
you should read the OP more closely

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:30 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
Though, you could always take that clerkship and try to go to another firm (and end up getting the 50k anyways).

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if your firm has a clerkship signing bonus, you are lighting $50k on fire (in addition to a year of seniority at the firm for salary purposes) by not doing a clerkship first, no matter how much debt you have.
yea ask all the peeps who got firm offers rescinded while in court this year whether that's a good idea or not.

if you're at an elite lit boutique that basically requires a clerkship then by all means...but at a run of the mill biglaw firm i'm not sure it matters anymore. so few people have jobs that it seems awfully cocky to walk away from one.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:33 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:
True.

However:

Clerk straight out: ( [year one] $50k (clerkship bonus) + ~$60k (going rate for federal CoA on the 7th circuit - not sure if that varies)) + ( [year two] ~$180k (2nd year salary) = $290k
Clerk after a year: ( [year one] $160k (1st year associate pay)) + ( [year two] ~ $66k (pretty sure that's what a clerk with a year gets paid)) = $226k [+$50k clerkship bonus at some firms]

Many firms don't pay the clerkship bonus if you work for a year, leave, then come back.

The disparty is even greater at some firms, because they won't bring you back as a '3rd year associate' - you'll come back as a second year.

Financially, it's better to go straight through. That doesn't even account for the fact that professionally, leaving a firm after 1 year basically means you're leaving as soon as you're finally starting to build relationships and get your hands in to substantive work.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm planning on working in big law for 1 year after graduating from law school, and then do a district court clerkship (Boaltie here). Obviously, I have to kick tail in my 2L and 3L years, but other than that; my question is this:

Does it matter which law firm I go to after law school for that 1 year? I'm a rising 2L, and the law firm will obviously be wherever I end up this summer (unless I get no-offered). Couldn't judges care less where I go? (Considering accepting offer at V50, and cancelling callbacks at a string of elite firms). My basic question is this; do judges solely care about law grades/journal/rank, or do they also care about which law firms their applicants are applyin from?

You may think, why would I not just wait out the recruiting cycle and wait for the elite firms to decide on my application.
The reason my question is relevant is this: all the elite firms I'm shooting for are in LA/DC, but I'm out here in Berkeley - so I could just go to this job offer in SF, this would work out really well for me for next summer + the year after law school. (I wouldn't have to move to LA or DC for the summer, and then after law school, I could just chill in my cheap situation here in Berkeley)

I cannot finnacially afford to just go do a clerkship right after law school (that 1 year worth of big law money is a big deal)
Short answer - quality of firm matters for clerkships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”