Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Baker Botts v Jones Day v Vinson Elkins

Baker Botts
19
31%
Jones Day
15
25%
Vinson & Elkins
27
44%
 
Total votes: 61

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:59 pm

My sources tell me that Baker Botts Dallas had an 80% 2L offer rate in the summer of 2010 (8 out of 10). My sources have further confirmed that 1 of the no-offers seemed to express far more interest in working for another firm, while the other no-offer did not seem to have biglaw ambitions.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Alternatively, V&E Dallas gave out offers to 91% of 2L SAs (10/11).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:11 pm

Jones Day Dallas gave 85% of its 2L summer class offers (11/13).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:23 pm

What are peoples thoughts on exit options at any of these 4 firms in Texas? It would seem as though BB, FJ, and VE would offer far better exit options than JD.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are peoples thoughts on exit options at any of these 4 firms in Texas? It would seem as though BB, FJ, and VE would offer far better exit options than JD.

Earlier poster said JD might be better exit options if you're considering leaving TX, while the big 3 are better to stay in. It's probably true to an extent, but I'm thinking (/hoping... since I'm thinking of choosing JD over one of the 3) that JD does pretty damn well in Dallas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are peoples thoughts on exit options at any of these 4 firms in Texas? It would seem as though BB, FJ, and VE would offer far better exit options than JD.

Earlier poster said JD might be better exit options if you're considering leaving TX, while the big 3 are better to stay in. It's probably true to an extent, but I'm thinking (/hoping... since I'm thinking of choosing JD over one of the 3) that JD does pretty damn well in Dallas.


Are you leaning towards litigation or corporate? Then again, I'm not sure that it would make a big difference.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are peoples thoughts on exit options at any of these 4 firms in Texas? It would seem as though BB, FJ, and VE would offer far better exit options than JD.

Earlier poster said JD might be better exit options if you're considering leaving TX, while the big 3 are better to stay in. It's probably true to an extent, but I'm thinking (/hoping... since I'm thinking of choosing JD over one of the 3) that JD does pretty damn well in Dallas.


Are you leaning towards litigation or corporate? Then again, I'm not sure that it would make a big difference.

Litigation. I hear the transactional group is kind of a sweatshop down there, but I couldn't say for sure.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Litigation. I hear the transactional group is kind of a sweatshop down there, but I couldn't say for sure.


I will note that while I am interested in corporate, they seemed to pair me almost exclusively w/ litigation associates. The few corporate associates that I met all appeared a little down and out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:02 pm

For corporate work in Texas, BB and VE clearly dominate JD in the Chambers Rankings. BB and VE are both Band 1 in just about every corporate category. JD is likely to occasionally break Band 2.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:For corporate work in Texas, BB and VE clearly dominate JD in the Chambers Rankings. BB and VE are both Band 1 in just about every corporate category. JD is likely to occasionally break Band 2.

And litigation? I know JD is at least decent in IP, but what about outside of that?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:55 am

Chambers Rankings (for Texas) - Baker Botts

Banking & Finance (Band 2)
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (Band 2)
Corporate/M&A (Band 1)
Real Estate (Band 1)
Tax (Band 1)
Intellectual Property (Band 1)
Technology (Band 1)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:56 am

Chambers Rankings (for Texas) - Fulbright Jaworski

Banking & Finance (Band 3)
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (Band 1)
Corporate/M&A (Band 4)
Real Estate (Band 3)
Tax (Band 2)
Intellectual Property (Band 2)
Technology (Band 2)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:57 am

Chambers Rankings (for Texas) - Jones Day

Banking & Finance (Band 3)
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (Band 4)
Corporate/M&A (Band 2)
Real Estate (Band 3)
Tax (Band 4)
Intellectual Property (Band 2)
Technology (Band 2)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:57 am

Chambers Rankings (for Texas) - Vinson & Elkins

Banking & Finance (Band 1)
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (Band 1)
Corporate/M&A (Band 1)
Real Estate (Band 1)
Tax (Band 1)
Intellectual Property (Band 2)
Technology (Band 2)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Despite Baker Botts finishing dead last in the poll above, I have nonetheless decided to summer with Baker Botts. I'll be spending the second half with another firm in town.

Thank you for everyone's insight. I have since declined all outstanding offers.

This thread is now dead!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Does anyone know whether you work on the weekends as an SA at these firms (in Dallas) and what the typical work week schedule is like (i.e. what time work starts/ends)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know whether you work on the weekends as an SA at these firms (in Dallas) and what the typical work week schedule is like (i.e. what time work starts/ends)?


Not at JD... they go 8 or 8:30 to 5 or 6 on average. More if you have lots of projects, but less if there's SA events. Standard schedule, but not bad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Never worked a weekend during 1L or 2L summer at BB. People yell at you to go home at 5:00 every day.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6049
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:08 pm

Worked at JD Dallas. Went 9-5 (or earlier) 95% of the time. The only time I worked very late was because I made a mistake on a project I was planning on turning in the next day, which was also my last day, so I stayed late because my last day was full of people saying bye and me getting my end of summer evaluation. Even then, a lot of attorneys were coming by my office asking me why I was still working. Even when I explained, they told me I should just leave but I didn't want to do that.

Sometimes if we had an event during the week at like 7 I'd stay and work at the office because it was inconvenient for me to go home them come back to where our events were normally held (probably a little identifying information somewhere in there but who cares).

Never worked a weekend.

Things will obviously change once I go FT.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273572
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Baker Botts v Fulbright v Jones Day v V&E for Dallas

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Worked at JD Dallas. Went 9-5 (or earlier) 95% of the time. The only time I worked very late was because I made a mistake on a project I was planning on turning in the next day, which was also my last day, so I stayed late because my last day was full of people saying bye and me getting my end of summer evaluation. Even then, a lot of attorneys were coming by my office asking me why I was still working. Even when I explained, they told me I should just leave but I didn't want to do that.

Sometimes if we had an event during the week at like 7 I'd stay and work at the office because it was inconvenient for me to go home them come back to where our events were normally held (probably a little identifying information somewhere in there but who cares).

Never worked a weekend.

Things will obviously change once I go FT.


As a follow up to the bolded, does anyone know what the typical work schedule is like for a full-time associate at one of these firms in Dallas/Texas specifically?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.