HLS EIP 2010 Offer Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2010 Offer Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Keep drinking the koolaid, you think 66% of people quit after 3 years because its such a great job lol people are so naive and stupid, sadly this pie-in-the-sky attitude is typical of the people here. You and your "friends" are in denial.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This isn't true. I'm very, very excited about working at a large firm. I hope to spend my entire career at one. So do many of my friends at HLS.

Doc review is far from all you do at a big firm, and it can be really exciting when you're looking at the other party's documents. It also only lasts so long. You pay your dues, do a good job on the substantive work, and you get to leave it behind. As far as researching on Lexis goes, that's pretty fundamental legal work for litigators, at firms of many different sizes. If you're not spending a lot of time on the databases, then you're probably not dealing with interesting legal issues.
Hahaha... this only makes me laugh. I can't believe a person intelligent enough to goto HLS can be so naive and hear only what they want to hear. Alright well you enjoy your indentured servitude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:01 pm

I want BIGLAW as much as the next lemming but I don't delude myself into thinking its something its not. How can you have kids, raise a family, etc. working in BIGLAW. Unless you want your life to be work, work, work, work, work, I can't see any rational person doing it for a long period of time. When I go to interviews and look at these partners I always think:

"I DO NOT WANT TO BE THIS PERSON 10 YEARS FROM NOW".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:03 pm

I'm in big law til I pay off enough of my debt to do something else. As it should be.

Hell, if I had no debt I'd start my own firm right when I grad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in big law til I pay off enough of my debt to do something else. As it should be.

Start your own firm right after graduating with almost zero practical legal experience? I'm sure business would be just flowing through your door.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm in big law til I pay off enough of my debt to do something else. As it should be.

Start your own firm right after graduating with almost zero practical legal experience? I'm sure business would be just flowing through your door.

It wouldn't be. At all. And I'd have no illusions of that and I know I wouldn't be making much money for awhile.

But it'd be a lot more fun than big law or almost any other legal job out there. That's for damn sure.

--LinkRemoved--

I spoke with the guy in the article by email and he was making big law money by 09.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Anyway let's not hijack the thread - we're supposed to be discussing offers.

Has anyone heard from/know of anyone that heard from Mintz Levin?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Mintz Levin made no offers last year, and I doubt they make any this year, they just go to maintain the "relationship".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mintz Levin made no offers last year, and I doubt they make any this year, they just go to maintain the "relationship".
Um.. what? They had 5 in Boston and 2 in New York this summer. Where are you getting your stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:14 pm

I was looking at the EIP 2009 Chart:

https://www.law.harvard.edu/current/car ... index.html

Maybe its off...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Is the chart inaccurate? Because if it is I can sleep better at night....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:19 pm

My money is on NALP directory's numbers.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:21 pm

The EIP 2009 chart is just for HLS.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the discussion, but it's very possible for Mintz to have no offered HLS students but had people from other schools.

It's also possible people secured those jobs outside of EIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:30 pm

That's what angers me the most, what's the benefit of HLS if people from significantly "lesser" schools (Fordham and the like) get job offers over us?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's what angers me the most, what's the benefit of HLS if people from significantly "lesser" schools (Fordham and the like) get job offers over us?

Yes, every HLS student is more qualified for every job than every Fordham student and every student at every "lesser" school.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's what angers me the most, what's the benefit of HLS if people from significantly "lesser" schools (Fordham and the like) get job offers over us?

The name on your degree doesn't give you a likable or non-awkward personality

I think that's the biggest problem with HLS in this economy. Personality and fit is bigger than ever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:57 pm

Objection wrote:

I think that's the biggest problem with HLS in this economy. Personality and fit is bigger than ever.

Funny, the people with offers always think they have some award-winning personality.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Objection wrote:

Funny, the people with offers always think they have some award-winning personality.

First, to the mods: If you're going to enforce the anonymous feature's rules, enforce it universally.

Second: I never said I had an award winning personality. But if you don't think HLS has a higher proportion of ridiculously awkward people than "lesser" schools, you're kidding yourself. Or it could be like poker: If you can't identify the fish, you are the fish.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm sorry, but seriously? Read your post again, and maybe you'll have your answer as to why people from "lesser" schools get jobs and you don't even though you are at Harvard. One thing those people may have, at least in comparison to you, is a "lesser" sense of entitlement.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Objection wrote:First, to the mods: If you're going to enforce the anonymous feature's rules, enforce it universally.

If you want to flag something, flag it or PM a mod, but do not bring up your opinions on the anon feature in a thread. This is a warning, and for everyone. See also http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130748.

While we've been more lenient in the CB/offer threads to allow for more honest discussion there without revealing who's been posting in the thread, people should keep in mind that they do risk getting outed/banned if they use the anon feature just for bitching about vague generalities or each other. That is not what the anon feature is for.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:13 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Objection wrote:First, to the mods: If you're going to enforce the anonymous feature's rules, enforce it universally.

If you want to flag something, flag it or PM a mod, but do not bring up your opinions on the anon feature in a thread. This is a warning, and for everyone. See also http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130748.

While we've been more lenient in the CB/offer threads to allow for more honest discussion there without revealing who's been posting in the thread, people should keep in mind that they do risk getting outed/banned if they use the anon feature just for bitching about vague generalities or each other. That is not what the anon feature is for.

How'd you do at OCI?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Objection wrote:How'd you do at OCI?

A few CBs, still waiting to hear on all of them. I know people who did better and people who did worse.

daisyduck

Postby daisyduck » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:24 pm

How do you know it didn't go to a Yalie? Aren't you at a "lesser" school than they are? ..... :twisted:

hlsjd12

Postby hlsjd12 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

A few CBs, still waiting to hear on all of them. I know people who did better and people who did worse.

I think Objection was being sarcastic.

Objection

Postby Objection » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I think Objection was being sarcastic.

Actually, was just making conversation. So cynical.

Return to “Legal Employment”