HLS EIP 2010 Offer Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2010 Offer Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote: What I am disputing is the notion you expressed earlier, repeatedly, that being PI-heavy on your resume will "kill" your chances and that you have no chance going in of making a case for yourself. That's what you said before and it's ridiculously untrue. You can sell yourself effectively to a firm even if you have a PI-heavy resume, which was my point, and a point you haven't really contradicted.

In fact another poster above said pretty much the same thing, he had a very PI-heavy resume and managed to sell himself to Davis Polk. That directly contradicts what you're saying. There is no "death knell" that you're warning about. It's something that will come up with some firms, sure, but if you've actually prepared yourself to respond and to have enthusiasm for the firm, you're still going to have a shot at an offer there.
Agreed. I have a friend who got a DPW offer despite a heavy PI resume pre-law school (counseling and working with kids with disabilities) and continued involvement in PI during law school. He said that every interviewer at every firm asked why he wanted biglaw, but he had ready answers for 1) why he chose law school and 2) why he's now choosing biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else with good grades strike out?
Yes.

How good were both of your grades, and what markets?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:20 am

1 DS, 6 Hs, 3 Ps. DC market only.

Anonymous Abuser

New

Post by Anonymous Abuser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:1 DS, 6 Hs, 3 Ps. DC market only.
I've identified your problem. Whoever convinced you that focusing entirely on one market was a good idea lied to you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 am

Wow, that's really unfortunate. That's almost certainly in the top 20% of the class. Did you have full-time work experience? I heard that hurt this year. I struck out in Chicago with 1 DS, 4 Hs, 5 Ps, and no full-time work experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 am

I had the same grade break down, targeted NYC and DC. Ended up w/ multiple NYC offers and an offer in DC w/ a V15. No WE. Do you think you did anything wrong in interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 am

I'm sorry, but even in DC you shouldn't be striking out with those grades (and definitely not in Chicago). It is true that OCS should have been more explicit with people to diversify if they only wanted to do DC, but still. How many CB's did you get?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had the same grade break down, targeted NYC and DC. Ended up w/ multiple NYC offers and an offer in DC w/ a V15. No WE. Do you think you did anything wrong in interviews?
Same.

Actually had 1 or more LPs and landed several V15s.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Who are you? I have the same exact grades, same market, same problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pablo Ramirez

Bronze

Post by Pablo Ramirez » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:44 pm

People with 1 or more LPs are landing V15s, but others with DSs and a plethora of Hs are striking out?

I guess grades don't mean much anymore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:People with 1 or more LPs are landing V15s, but others with DSs and a plethora of Hs are striking out?

They can't really distinguish us, so they look at other things.

I'm involved in a lot of activities around campus, and also think I interview fairly well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Pablo Ramirez wrote:People with 1 or more LPs are landing V15s, but others with DSs and a plethora of Hs are striking out?

Other things, like not being weird or awkward, always mattered. Not a single interviewer during all my callbacks even had my transcript in front of them. It was all about fit and interest. At most firms, grades are just an initial screen to get you past EIP. Beyond that they don't matter, and if you're awkward or have a shitty resume your callbacks aren't going to turn into offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry, but even in DC you shouldn't be striking out with those grades (and definitely not in Chicago). It is true that OCS should have been more explicit with people to diversify if they only wanted to do DC, but still. How many CB's did you get?
0 in Chicago with 4H+1DS (with 15 Chicago screeners). I know someone else with 4Hs who only got one in Chicago, and that at a non-Vault firm. My best theory is still the lack of work experience thing. I did have some callbacks in another market and got offers at all of them, so I don't think I was too awkward in interviews...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”