is talking about clerkship hopes a good/bad thing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

is talking about clerkship hopes a good/bad thing?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:30 am

Is it good/bad to talk about clerkship aspirations during callbacks? I personally aspire for a COA clerkship, have the grades for it (top 1-2% @ t10).

My concern is that firms don't like "flight risks" - apparently I've learned the hard way that a lot of firms say "we love clerks" but get doubtful about whether I'm just going to use up their summer program, go clerk, and then go somewhere totally different. Apparently what they REALLY like is when clerks apply to their firms directly, because there's no risk of loss there.

Eg. Covington basically told me that if I clerk, I need to do that RIGHT after law school, or else an offer won't stand. Had an offer at their DC office, (already declined it).

Got 3 of my top 5 callbacks coming up this week. Would appreciate anyone's perspective on this.

MrKappus

Re: is talking about clerkship hopes a good/bad thing?

Postby MrKappus » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:39 am

If my interviewer clerked for COA (or any fed judge), I'd ask about his/her experience and see if he/she takes the conversation in a direction that signals the firm's feelings on clerkships. If it's one of your first couple interviews, you can use that convo in the later ones maybe (or not at all if the reaction's less-than-favorable). Just my $0.02.

Anonymous User

Re: is talking about clerkship hopes a good/bad thing?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:15 am

Covington is unique/stupid in this regard. Wachtell discourages clerkships, but that's because they're a corporate powerhouse where clerkships are of little value. If you're interested in litigation, almost every firm will be supportive. Especially considering it means if they like you they can give you an offer but not worry about paying you a salary for several years when the economy has hopefully recovered. That being said, I'm not sure how useful it is to talk about in a job interview unless someone asks you straight up what you'd like to do/maybe work into a "what are your career goals" question. It won't hurt you in an interview, but I don't see how it helps.

Return to “Legal Employment”