Is scheduling a Friday callback really that bad?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is scheduling a Friday callback really that bad?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:01 pm

I'm thinking of moving a callback to Friday because I've missed way too much class so far. Bad idea?

Anonymous User

Re: Is scheduling a Friday callback really that bad?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm thinking of moving a callback to Friday because I've missed way too much class so far. Bad idea?

Been told on more than one occasion by V10 partners this is a bad idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm thinking of moving a callback to Friday because I've missed way too much class so far. Bad idea?

Been told on more than one occasion by V10 partners this is a bad idea.

Bad idea to move a callback, or bad idea to schedule a callback for Friday to start? I have a Friday callback (it was either that, or wait two more weeks) -- just want to make sure there isn't something terrible about Friday callbacks in general.

Indubitably

Postby Indubitably » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Missing class during 2L is really not that big of a deal. Just get notes from someone; you'll be fine. Priorities!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Remind me again, why are Friday callbacks a bad idea?

I had a callback the Friday before Labor Day. Everyone was cheerful and happy. I got an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Remind me again, why are Friday callbacks a bad idea?

I had a callback the Friday before Labor Day. Everyone was cheerful and happy. I got an offer.

Ditto for V10.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Ditto for V10.

Yup. I'm the guy quoted above. Mine was a V10 as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ditto for V10.

Don't v10s have close to 100% callback-offer rates? Interviews probably don't even matter that much since they look pretty much just at grades.

I'm doing callbacks with v50s.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ditto for V10.

Don't v10s have close to 100% callback-offer rates? Interviews probably don't even matter that much since they look pretty much just at grades.

I'm doing callbacks with v50s.

Not at all. And plus, my grades are at or slightly below median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Not at all. And plus, my grades are at or slightly below median.

Damn. Congrats.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:43 pm

Indubitably wrote:Missing class during 2L is really not that big of a deal. Just get notes from someone; you'll be fine. Priorities!

I'm taking pretty much all hard classes though. Think M&A and shiiiiz.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Indubitably wrote:Missing class during 2L is really not that big of a deal. Just get notes from someone; you'll be fine. Priorities!

I'm taking pretty much all hard classes though. Think M&A and shiiiiz.

Grades serve a noble purpose: landing you a job. They are but a means to an end. Go to the damn callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:07 am

Because a lot of people take off Fridays and do not want to be spending the time they could have had playing golf with interviewing a law student.

IDK about moving the date. It depends on how close you are to it. By doing so, you are changing everyone's schedule who was going to interview you, and it inconveniences all of them. If the CB is less than a week away, I would not reschedule it.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Because a lot of people take off Fridays and do not want to be spending the time they could have had playing golf with interviewing a law student.

Yeah, attorneys rarely work Fridays.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:15 am

spondee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Partners take off summer/early fall afternoons. Those are the most important interviewers.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Partners take off summer/early fall afternoons. Those are the most important interviewers.

So what? First, you're wildly generalizing to assume that they'll all be out-of-office. Second, and more importantly, it's really not our concern as interviewees. Don't over-think stuff like this.

If you call to schedule a CB and the recruiter suggests a Friday, then Fridays are fine. If you suggest a Friday and the recruiter schedules you for one, then Fridays are fine. They won't let us schedule one that's a bad time for them; any one of us is not that important.

As for the OP, I wouldn't reschedule it. Skip class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:31 am

for what it's worth, i had 2 CBs on a friday and later received offers from both firms. i didn't get the impression that friday was an inconvenient day

concurrent fork

Postby concurrent fork » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Partners take off summer/early fall afternoons. Those are the most important interviewers.

Why are these anonymous?

Also, everyone knows that partners hate talking to people on Fridays. You have obviously just killed your chance for an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:40 am

Callbacks on Friday are great. I'm batting 1.000 on Friday callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:05 am

spondee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Partners take off summer/early fall afternoons. Those are the most important interviewers.

So what? First, you're wildly generalizing to assume that they'll all be out-of-office. Second, and more importantly, it's really not our concern as interviewees. Don't over-think stuff like this.

If you call to schedule a CB and the recruiter suggests a Friday, then Fridays are fine. If you suggest a Friday and the recruiter schedules you for one, then Fridays are fine. They won't let us schedule one that's a bad time for them; any one of us is not that important.

Just quoting what MULTIPLE V10 partners have told me, that's all, bro. Take the advice or not--totally your decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:

Just quoting what MULTIPLE V10 partners have told me, that's all, bro. Take the advice or not--totally your decision.

Can we agree that Friday mornings are fine but Friday afternoons are iffy at best?

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think you guys are having delusions about what your hours will be when you make partner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
spondee wrote:

Can we agree that Friday mornings are fine but Friday afternoons are iffy at best?

I have had a lot of success with Friday afternoons. However, I would say that quoting "multiple v10" partners on TLS is iffy at best. That sort of "quote" smells like disco.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:46 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:47 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”