DPW, Sullcrom or STB

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DPW, Sullcrom or STB

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:28 pm

NY office
Probably Corporate but might want litigation. Capital Markets and M&A if corporate. Generalist if litigation.

No strong preference for any. Enjoyed the people and vibe at each. Sullcrom definitely has the nicest looking offices imo, but probably a stupid reason to choose one over the others. DPW has more beautiful people but I'm married so that doesn't matter.

Sullcrom and STB both have a litigation partner I really like and who I think likes me a lot but if I do corp work it won't really help my career to have that connection.

Looking for public opinion to help sway my decision.

btw still waiting for Wachtell. If I get an offer is that a game changer? I'm not sure I want to work that much more for the marginal bump in prestige/exit option (if any at all)

Anonymous User

Re: DPW, Sullcrom or STB

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm in this same position. I've narrowed it to Sullcrom and DPW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:42 pm

1) Since there's a possibility you might want to do lit, you should consider the relative caliber of each group. IMO, DPW and Sullcrom's lit groups are a cut above STB's.
2) STB's primary M&A strength is in private equity. If that doesn't really interest you, or if you're just interested in everything outside of that, DPW and Sullcrom are generally considered superior.

So I guess I mean to say you should probably cross STB off the list.

Between DPW and S&C, it's the same shit. The former is polite. The latter is mean. But you'll hate your life after two years at either firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:But you'll hate your life after two years at either firm.

OP here. True, but it's true for any top NY firm.

I'm bad at picking up subtle signals, so does that mean I should go to the mean firm rather than the passive aggressive one?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:51 pm

I am in a similar situation though more heavily leaning towards corporate.
They're pretty similar workwise and it's not like these places are 'lifestyle' firms, though I guess SullCrom has a 'bit' more prestige. I am most focused on the WAY work get doled out to corp associates (rotation system at DPB/STB versus 18 months free agent at SullCrom), location in the city, whether I am interested in the practice areas that are growing and they are best at, and a big part of it is GUT.

Re: niceness versus meanness, 'I'm not sure the label says EVERYTHING. For example, the place I used to work was well known for being 'nice' and a big 'family' but that also meant people were fake nice when work they were giving you sucked telling you it's a great opportunity (and you had to pretend you appreciated it) and IMO didn't give honest enough feedback b/c they were scared to be mean. NOt sure if this is the reality at DPW but just to say the reputation, even if true, may have its downsides.

Return to “Legal Employment”