rejection and employer never notifies

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Have you ever been through an interview (met with 2 people or more), was rejected, yet the employer never notifies you? While I have heard of stories in the non-legal world whereby employers use silence as a way to tell potential employees that they have been rejected, I was wondering if this practice also occurs in the legal world?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have you ever been through an interview (met with 2 people or more), was rejected, yet the employer never notifies you? While I have heard of stories in the non-legal world whereby employers use silence as a way to tell potential employees that they have been rejected, I was wondering if this practice also occurs in the legal world?

Yes. More often, I've gotten rejections so far past the date of application that I don't remember applying.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Right. But there are different stages: pre-interview rejection and post-interview rejection.

Just like you, I have applied to job and never made it to the interview stage. My concern is at the post-interview stage/rejection.

You put in the effort in researching the company, put on a crisp shirt and suit, go to the interview, and write handwritten thank-you cards. The least thing a (decent) company can do for you is tell you the status and not use the silent treatment.

In the legal world, have you ever been rejected via the silent treatment in the post-interview stage?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Right. But there are different stages: pre-interview rejection and post-interview rejection.

Just like you, I have applied to job and never made it to the interview stage. My concern is at the post-interview stage/rejection.

You put in the effort in researching the company, put on a crisp shirt and suit, go to the interview, and write handwritten thank-you cards. The least thing a (decent) company can do for you is tell you the status and not use the silent treatment.

In the legal world, have you ever been rejected via the silent treatment in the post-interview stage?


The people at Davis Polk didn't respond to my thank you e-mails and the recruitment coordinator/manager never responded to my status inquiry.

Pretty shitty experience with them. Though, I must say, the reimbursement check came pretty quickly.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:42 pm

But have you been rejected by them already? How long has it been since your last contact?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Judging by the silence, it seems like law firms will usually notify you if you have been rejected?

I haven't heard from a firm in 2 weeks. Wondering what I should at this point?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:32 pm

I got a rejection from a legal job in JULY OF MY 1L SUMMER. I was, clearly, already working somewhere else. It was lulzy. It was the feds, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:04 pm

But law firms (non-public legal entities) will notify the candidate, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Silence doesn't mean a rejection is coming though. I interviewed with a firm over a month and a half ago. The interview only lasted 10 minutes because they were off schedule and were trying to get back on. Had absolute radio silence then today, a whole month and a half plus later, bam they call me with an offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:28 pm

That's encouraging to hear! Did you ever inquiry about your status via email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's encouraging to hear! Did you ever inquiry about your status via email?



Nope. Never even sent the "nice to meet you email" or anything. I didn't talk to them, and they didn't talk to me.

The other thing I've noticed is that trial team, moot court, and journal really havent seemed to matter at all for me. Every firm I've gotten an offer from was reviewing my old resume without all that updated stuff through every stage of the process. I just stopped even giving them the updated resumes (one thing I realized too is that if you give an updated resume to a screener, they don't ever give it to the recruiting people when they get back to the office; all my callbacks had the same old resume). I dunno...I'm a URM with 20-30% grades at a t30 so maybe that's all that matters to them?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Silence doesn't mean a rejection is coming though. I interviewed with a firm over a month and a half ago. The interview only lasted 10 minutes because they were off schedule and were trying to get back on. Had absolute radio silence then today, a whole month and a half plus later, bam they call me with an offer.


They called you with an offer without doing a callback first?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Silence doesn't mean a rejection is coming though. I interviewed with a firm over a month and a half ago. The interview only lasted 10 minutes because they were off schedule and were trying to get back on. Had absolute radio silence then today, a whole month and a half plus later, bam they call me with an offer.


They called you with an offer without doing a callback first?


Yep. Same thing happened with my 1L summer jobs as well. Don't see how any firm could possibly make an informed decision on whether youre worth their time and money from only a 10-20 minute screener interview, but I ain't complaining.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That's encouraging to hear! Did you ever inquiry about your status via email?



Nope. Never even sent the "nice to meet you email" or anything. I didn't talk to them, and they didn't talk to me.

The other thing I've noticed is that trial team, moot court, and journal really havent seemed to matter at all for me. Every firm I've gotten an offer from was reviewing my old resume without all that updated stuff through every stage of the process. I just stopped even giving them the updated resumes (one thing I realized too is that if you give an updated resume to a screener, they don't ever give it to the recruiting people when they get back to the office; all my callbacks had the same old resume). I dunno...I'm a URM with 20-30% grades at a t30 so maybe that's all that matters to them?


Journal only matters if you don't have it. Moot court/mock trial mean nothing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:42 pm

...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273382
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: rejection and employer never notifies

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have you ever been through an interview (met with 2 people or more), was rejected, yet the employer never notifies you? While I have heard of stories in the non-legal world whereby employers use silence as a way to tell potential employees that they have been rejected, I was wondering if this practice also occurs in the legal world?


This seems to be the way Winston and Strawn NY has chosen to handle things this year. At least, that's been both my experience and the experience of several people at my school.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.