Which Chicago firm would you choose and why?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which Chicago firm would you choose and why?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Winston, McDermott, Schiff Hardin, Baker McKenzie, Katten Muchin. Which one and why? Which would you rule out?

dscummy21

Re: Which Chicago firm would you choose and why?

Postby dscummy21 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Winston, McDermott, Schiff Hardin, Baker McKenzie, Katten Muchin. Which one and why? Which would you rule out?

Winston, McDermott or Baker. No to Katten or Schiff Hardin.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:38 pm

I'd choose Katten. I heard they are one of the few Chicago firms in good shape.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd choose Katten. I heard they are one of the few Chicago firms in good shape.

I would choose Katten, too. The firm is in great shape financially.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd choose Katten. I heard they are one of the few Chicago firms in good shape.

how do you know?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

how do you know?

Cuz they told me in my interview . . . I'm kidding. Okay, it is more hearsay than anything else, but for what it's worth, I just accepted an offer with Katten.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:52 pm

My interviewers (also) boasted about how well they were doing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:00 pm

any other thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Winston, McDermott, Schiff Hardin, Baker McKenzie, Katten Muchin. Which one and why? Which would you rule out?

OP, do you have offers from all those firms? Because that looks exactly like my callback season to a tee and the fact that I've heard zip from all of them frightens me - especially if you have offers on the table.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP, do you have offers from all those firms? Because that looks exactly like my callback season to a tee and the fact that I've heard zip from all of them frightens me - especially if you have offers on the table.

i have offers from 3 of them at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Would you mind sharing which ones? I'm guessing that you've got Katten, Winston and Schiff - it seems like they've mobilized their offer mills.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:37 pm

What's everyone's take on Schiff?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

how do you know?

Cuz they told me in my interview . . . I'm kidding. Okay, it is more hearsay than anything else, but for what it's worth, I just accepted an offer with Katten.

When was your cb and how long in b/w the offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's everyone's take on Schiff?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Would you mind sharing which ones? I'm guessing that you've got Katten, Winston and Schiff - it seems like they've mobilized their offer mills.

correct

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:33 pm

OP, do you have offers from all those firms? Because that looks exactly like my callback season to a tee and the fact that I've heard zip from all of them frightens me - especially if you have offers on the table.[/quote]

i have offers from 3 of them at this point.[/quote]

Would you mind sharing which ones? I'm guessing that you've got Katten, Winston and Schiff - it seems like they've mobilized their offer mills.[/quote]

correct[/quote]

If you don't mind telling, when did you get your winston and katten offers, and who were the interviewing partners?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

how do you know?

Congrats. Katten's a great firm. I have a friend who works there and he loves it. Sounds like a humane firm with interesting work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:58 am

I'd take Sidley, Kirkland, or Mayer over any of them probably.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:24 am

Why don't you try to narrow it down by what you want to practice (litigation? white collar? securities lit? transactional? M&A? PE? finance? tax?)? Which 2-3 are strongest in that? Which firm counts the most pro bono hours toward your billables? Which firm pays more? Thereafter, which one did you like best? Which firm had the people in your practice area that you found most likeable? If you get between two, you can always request to meet more people--they might not comply, but I think many would be happy to assist you in choosing them. Which firm had offices with enough light for you to photosynthesize? These are things we can't tell you. But it's what I would consider.

PiersonVee

Postby PiersonVee » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd take Sidley, Kirkland, or Mayer over any of them probably.

Is this a joke?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:24 am

PiersonVee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd take Sidley, Kirkland, or Mayer over any of them probably.

Is this a joke?

No they are good firms that are hiring more people. I know people that got offers at these three that struck out at the five listed. So it is still relevant information. In fact, I am one of those people.

lilybbloom

Postby lilybbloom » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PiersonVee wrote:

Is this a joke?

No they are good firms that are hiring more people. I know people that got offers at these three that struck out at the five listed. So it is still relevant information. In fact, I am one of those people.

you are an idiot in addition to being a douche. don't you think OP would have mentioned them if he/she had gotten offers/CBs there? but i forget that people like you constantly feel the need to proclaim to the world how great they are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP, do you have offers from all those firms? Because that looks exactly like my callback season to a tee and the fact that I've heard zip from all of them frightens me - especially if you have offers on the table.

i have offers from 3 of them at this point.[/quote]

Would you mind sharing which ones? I'm guessing that you've got Katten, Winston and Schiff - it seems like they've mobilized their offer mills.[/quote]

correct[/quote]

If you don't mind telling, when did you get your winston and katten offers, and who were the interviewing partners?[/quote]

I got both offers on Thursday of this week. Winston was TB, Katten was AS.

PiersonVee

Postby PiersonVee » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
PiersonVee wrote:

Is this a joke?

Ha, fair enough. At first glance, your comment seemed analogous to someone that hops on a Mich vs. Penn thread and posts that Harvard or Yale would be much better choices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:32 am

PiersonVee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PiersonVee wrote:

Is this a joke?

Ha, fair enough. At first glance, your comment seemed analogous to someone that hops on a Mich vs. Penn thread and posts that Harvard or Yale would be much better choices.

It is exactly analogous.

Return to “Legal Employment”