For Those Of You That Mass Mailed... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

For Those Of You That Mass Mailed...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:58 pm

When you mass mail,

1) Do you attach the cover letter as an attachment or in the body of the email?
2) Do you attach a transcript?
3) Have you gotten any callbacks from mailing? If so, from V100 or small/medium firms?

McBean

New

Re: For Those Of You That Mass Mailed...

Post by McBean » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:05 pm

I went old-school and did snail mail. Resume, Cover Letter, Transcript. Got a few calls from mid-size firms, maybe like 6. Got one V60 call-back in NY. (If you get an interview off a mass-mailing, you have essentially skipped the screening interview if it is a city outside of your market, unless they do a phone interview.) I sent close to 100 all together.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:07 pm

^ That's interesting. You must've been a particularly competitive candidate, b/c I only got initial interviews from my mass mailings (V20, two V50's, and one V100), not CBs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:22 pm

Thank you for sharing. When did you send them out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:48 pm

I sent out 10 mass mails and got 5 CBs. 1 V10, 1 NLJ 250, and the rest strong regional/smaller national firms.

I think my luck might have been the product of targeting a market that didn't recruit at my T14, but did recruit at other T20 schools.

Edit: Another contributing factor was probably that I sent them out in early August.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I sent out 10 mass mails and got 5 CBs. 1 V10, 1 NLJ 250, and the rest strong regional/smaller national firms.

I think my luck might have been the product of targeting a market that didn't recruit at my T14, but did recruit at other T20 schools.

Edit: Another contributing factor was probably that I sent them out in early August.
Mid-August mass mail to maybe 75 offices, most of whom were coming to OCI. Didn't personalize my cover letters, which essentially said that I would love to interview with them even if I didn't get an interview slot through the OCI lottery. I figured firms would appreciate it even without personalized cover letters, because it lets them pre-screen instead of being at the mercy of the lottery. I got 4 additional screeners and one direct callback through them.

Included cover letter, resume and transcript in each email (all joined into one pdf), as well as a writing sample in a separate pdf. The body of the email was just 2-3 lines indicating my school, GPA, and graduation date (the three things they probably want to know right away), as well as my interest in their summer program.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:21 pm

I sent out 2 mass emails with transcript, resume, cover letter, writing sample attached. Got 1 callback, never heard a word from the other firm. The firm I got a callback with was Quinn NY.

coolio

New

Post by coolio » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:37 pm

dbt wrote:I sent out 2 mass emails with transcript, resume, cover letter, writing sample attached. Got 1 callback, never heard a word from the other firm. The firm I got a callback with was Quinn NY.
This sounds like quite the mass email!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:57 pm

1.) As an attachment
2.) Only if they specifically requested it
3.) Gotten 1 interview and multiple dings - the odds of this method aren't good, because it's not economical for them to give you a screener interview if they don't come to your school's OCI unless they're substantially certain they're interested, which, if you're direct mailing, they're probably not.

Good luck. Expect significant rejection, but you can't win if you don't play.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:33 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:17 am

Mass mailed to about 8 firms I think.

Wrote a brief note along the lines of I am interested in your summer associate program... please find attached... for your consideration.

Attached Cover letter, Resume, Unofficial Transcript, and References

Got a screening interview that turned into a callback with 1 V5
Got a straight callback for DPW
Got a screener for STB (still haven't heard back)
Screener at Skadden (ding)

Also emailed a firm after only getting selected as an alternate at a job fair... after, they fit me in to their schedule for the fair --> callback --> offer. V15.

I think it's important to show some initiative in the cover letter... like that you are going to be in their city and would welcome an opportunity to visit, or would be willing to set up a time to talk on the phone, something more than just sitting back and waiting.

I am T10%, LR at a T30... our OCI just doesn't get many NYC firms so I had to mail and go to job fairs.. if you send something and are competitive, firms will give you a look.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”