asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:38 am

Rising 2L Boalt student here, entering "break" week, "flyback" week, whatever.

Interviewed at #1 choice firm on Tuesday. One of the interviewing partners introduced me to the next lawyer on the callback schedule line-up by saying, he's going to get a start-date soon, I was pretty happy to hear that, but I didn't know what to make of it.

I haven't received an offer yet, and I'm staring at flyback week and trips to the east coast, and a pretty crazy schedule.

Is it appropriate to shoot an email to one of the partners expressing my strong interest in the firm, telling him about my upcoming flight to the east coast, and asking politely for a speedy decision? I would really rather just stay here and catch up on my readings.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 2L Boalt student here, entering "break" week, "flyback" week, whatever.

Interviewed at #1 choice firm on Tuesday. One of the interviewing partners introduced me to the next lawyer on the callback schedule line-up by saying, he's going to get a start-date soon, I was pretty happy to hear that, but I didn't know what to make of it.

I haven't received an offer yet, and I'm staring at flyback week and trips to the east coast, and a pretty crazy schedule.

Is it appropriate to shoot an email to one of the partners expressing my strong interest in the firm, telling him about my upcoming flight to the east coast, and asking politely for a speedy decision? I would really rather just stay here and catch up on my readings.


Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Enjoy the East Coast!

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby KMaine » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:58 am

I don't really understand why this is shooting yourself in the foot if you do it the right way. They can either let you know soon or not. If they move up the date, it seems like they are getting an SA, if not they say know and you wait. I think people on this board really walk on eggshells a little too much on this issue. I guess there is a very small downside risk that they could think you are pushy or a squeaky wheel, so perhaps the safest route is to say nothing, but if you tell them honestly about your situation, I really think you will be o.k.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Interviewed with a law firm and the associates/partners were overtly enthusiastic and sounded promising, just like your interviewers.

As a result, I turned down an offer in order to wait for this job offer. But given the pace, I highly doubt they are going to make an offer. Hurts. Doesn't it?

My future strategy: definitely let my desired firm know that I have a job offer and that it would be beneficial if they can let me know their decision at their earliest convenience. If you do so professionally and diplomatically, I think it would benefit both parties.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed with a law firm and the associates/partners were overtly enthusiastic and sounded promising, just like your interviewers.

As a result, I turned down an offer in order to wait for this job offer. But given the pace, I highly doubt they are going to make an offer. Hurts. Doesn't it?

My future strategy: definitely let my desired firm know that I have a job offer and that it would be beneficial if they can let me know their decision at their earliest convenience. If you do so professionally and diplomatically, I think it would benefit both parties.


wait so did you get an offer or not? I'm guessing not? :( that's messed up. My experience has been that if they were positive and promising, it'll be good news.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:20 pm

so I'm not about to turn down an OFFER based on enthusiastic associates - that's for sure, I'm sorry that you're in this predicament.

I ended up not communicating with the firm at all - and I'm headed out east for some interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:25 pm

I interviewed with two firms. One firm (Alex LLP) gave me an offer, but I was hoping to receive an offer from firm (Jane LLP)

The partners/associates at Jane LLP were enthusiastic/very welcoming so I assumed that I would be receiving an offer from them.

As a result, I turned down Alex LLP. It has been quite some time already and Jane LLP has yet to extend the offer. Doubt I am getting one at this point. I emailed the partners at Jane LLP for a status check and did not receive anything.

Truly wished that I had kept Jane LLP updated on my Alex LLP offer. Perhaps they had intended to reject me all along and would have used the silent treatment on me. But at the very least, I would know to take Alex LLP's offer in light of Jane LLP's silent treatment.

What a stressful week!

BTW, good luck and smart move with your east coast interviews!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:30 pm

thanks, hopefully something good pans out on the east coast, even if the old firm (my #1 choice) calls when I'm on the east coast, at least I'll be like, argh, damnit, what an inconvenience... versus bothering them now to rush-order my decision AHEAD OF other candidates who are being good

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:41 pm

The difference between your situation and my situation is that I already have an offer in hand, whereas you are still waiting for an offer.

Definitely a smart move to head out to the East!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: asking a firm for a quicker decision - into "flyback" week

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:32 am

Don't give them a reason to say "you want an answer? No. That's an answer"

You have 28 days to reply so there is no real rush even if you do get an offer from your top choice. Unless you're coming up on this deadline, I don't know why you'd turn down a bird in the hand for the one in the bush. Only if you were coming up on that 28 day deadline should you call the firm and ask for an expedited decision. Enjoy NY/DC/Wherevs...




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.