Flying to interviews??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Flying to interviews??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:15 am

I haven't been on a plane since I was six, but I have to for clerkship interviews. Can someone explain to me how these priceline/expedia, etc deals work with packages that come with a car rental. Do I have to take a cab from the airport to the car rental place to get the car OR will they have the car waiting there at the airport when I get off? If I have to go get the car, how does this work if I don't end up landing in the city until something like 11PM (i.e. how do I get the car --won't the place be closed)?

Also, how do I bring a pressed suit and tie, and keep those pressed for the interviews?

Lastly, do I just carry-on my laptop (i.e. is that allowed)?

I know these are probably pretty stupid questions, but I am completely clueless about flying since I haven't had to fly anywhere, except once when I was six years old.

Thanks.

voice of reason

Re: Flying to interviews??

Postby voice of reason » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:53 am

If you rent a car from an at-airport location, then you can either walk to the car rental office or (more often) there will be a free shuttle to pick you up at the terminal and take you to the rental car office. It will still be open late in most major cities, but you'd be wise to check the hours at the rental company's website.

You can carry your laptop on the plane in your carryon bag. You'll have to take it out of the bag and run it through the security x-ray in a bin by itself. EDIT: you also have to take off your shoes and run them through the x-ray, so a day when you're flying is not the day to wear shoes that are hard to get on or off, nor is it the day to wear the socks with the big hole.

Stay in a hotel with an iron.
Last edited by voice of reason on Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BendAndSnap

Postby BendAndSnap » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:54 am

voice of reason wrote: Stay in a hotel with an iron.

And dont worry, I cant think of a time when a hotel room I've stayed at hasn't had an iron.

You could carry them with you on hangers if you have a suit-bag? then they wont get as wrinkled as they would if you were to fold them and pack them

War Cardinal

Postby War Cardinal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't been on a plane since I was six, but I have to for clerkship interviews. Can someone explain to me how these priceline/expedia, etc deals work with packages that come with a car rental. Do I have to take a cab from the airport to the car rental place to get the car OR will they have the car waiting there at the airport when I get off? If I have to go get the car, how does this work if I don't end up landing in the city until something like 11PM (i.e. how do I get the car --won't the place be closed)?

Also, how do I bring a pressed suit and tie, and keep those pressed for the interviews?

Lastly, do I just carry-on my laptop (i.e. is that allowed)?

I know these are probably pretty stupid questions, but I am completely clueless about flying since I haven't had to fly anywhere, except once when I was six years old.

Thanks.

(1) Typically you arrive at the airport and take a courtesy shuttle (small bus) to the car rental office. These buses are owned and operated by the car rental agency and prominently display the agency's colours and name. The airport will have signs directing you to the shuttle pick-up/drop-off locations, typically situated near "ground transportation." I imagine the offices are open at least until 12pm or 1am (maybe even 24hrs), though it may depend on the airport. I know Budget rent-a-car at NY JFK is open 24hrs.

(2) You can take your suit in a garment bag and ask a flight attendant to store it in the airplane's closet. If you're flying JetBlue, however, you're out of luck--you'll have to lay it atop the stowed baggage in one of the many overhead compartments.

(2) Yes, carry your laptop aboard the aircraft. NB: make sure to place the computer in a separate plastic bin when you go through the security checkpoint.

Good luck with your interview!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Here's a related question-- if you have a same-day fly-in/fly-out, should you wear your suit on the plane, or bring it in a garment bag and change in the airport bathroom? No access to an iron, and neither option seems ideal--what do people usually do?

War Cardinal

Postby War Cardinal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's a related question-- if you have a same-day fly-in/fly-out, should you wear your suit on the plane, or bring it in a garment bag and change in the airport bathroom? No access to an iron, and neither option seems ideal--what do people usually do?

I would wear the suit and hang the jacket somewhere in the plane or lay it flat either across my lap or in the overhead compartment.

Changing in a bathroom is a pain, and you don't want to have to carry a garment bag/luggage around filled with your other change of clothes, shoes, etc.

Good luck with your interview!

Return to “Legal Employment”