etiquette for declining offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MrKappus

Re: etiquette for declining offers

Postby MrKappus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:00 pm

ITT: I find out my sarcasm meter is broken. I couldn't tell if the advice was genuine (in which case I was about to blast it), and now I can't tell if Cardinal actually followed it.

Stupid broken sarcasm meter.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:28 pm

Dear V50 Recruiter,
Oh hai there. I gotz V10. Not working for you. LOLOLOL ROTFL GTFO.

K thx bai.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Dear V50 Recruiter,

K thx bai.

GENIUS.

HYPERBOLE.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:34 pm

MrKappus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Dear V50 Recruiter,

K thx bai.

GENIUS.

HYPERBOLE.

ALLCAPS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:10 pm

just started doing this...so awkward indeed (especially when you're going to a competitor)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:50 pm

I've found the people to be REALLY nice about it. Depending on the firm, they just know yield will hover between 25 and 50% for a popular firm, maybe lower for others. So while I'm sure they're sad to see candidates go, it's also quite expected on their part. Some have said things to the effect of "if your plans change after next summer let us know, we'd love another chance to get you." I'm sure it's part empty recruiting speak, but it's heart warming recruiting speak, so there you go.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Proper etiquette is to call and politely explain that you have decided to go with another firm, but thought their firm was so great that your good (and oddly unemployed) friend would make an excellent addition to their firm.

:)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've found the people to be REALLY nice about it. Depending on the firm, they just know yield will hover between 25 and 50% for a popular firm, maybe lower for others. So while I'm sure they're sad to see candidates go, it's also quite expected on their part. Some have said things to the effect of "if your plans change after next summer let us know, we'd love another chance to get you." I'm sure it's part empty recruiting speak, but it's heart warming recruiting speak, so there you go.

This hasn't been my experience. Earlier today, I called one recruiting office, thanked her for the call back and asked that I be taken out of consideration since I'd accepted with another firm. She was polite but chilly then went out of her way to say, "well, you should be receiving a letter from us in the next day or so; I'm actually surprised it hasn't arrived yet." I started laughing then just said "mmkay, bye." Don't know if I'm doing it justice, but it was awkward. I'm doing emails from here on out.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:29 pm

tkorms wrote:Is there an industry custom for this sort of thing? Is a nice email to your main contact at the firm ok or is a phone call required?

Totally depends on the V disparity (Vault rating of spurned offer - Vault rating of accepted offer = V disparity, e.g. turning down a V100 for a V30 = a V disparity of 70):

Vd - 1-3: politely worded email to associates and phone calls to partners.
Vd - 4-7: brusque email to HR telling them to inform necessary parties of your choice.
Vd - 8-15: wait for HR to contact you about lack of communication. Hang up on them.
Vd - 16+: You may, at your discretion, walk into their lobby and open fire. No mercy is required and no quarter need be given. Secretaries and paralegals are in play.

Return to “Legal Employment”