switch to part-time if you strike out at OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: switch to part-time if you strike out at OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:55 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Why is everyone acting as if the opportunity cost of an additional year of law school is nothing?

what opportunity cost? It's not like OP has a job he'd be working at once he graduates law school.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Why is everyone acting as if the opportunity cost of an additional year of law school is nothing?

what opportunity cost? It's not like OP has a job he'd be working at once he graduates law school.

The fact that he could find a job aside, I was referring to intangibles such as the value of NOT being in law school anymore, the freedom to not be tied down to a location, having a year to do something added onto your life.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:30 pm

This is an interesting question. I know at my school that many, many people got ITE-pwnt. These were people who, in a normal, pre bubble year, would have had a great shot at OCI (basically, most people in the top quarter, many in the top third and a few in the top half.) To date, things are quite different, though by all accounts not quite as bad as last year. Here is my issue with doing this, though. If there isn't a huge spike in hiring, even a substantial GPA boost (harder as a 2L, as pointed out) might be for naught. Grades are not the holy grail; it is very possible to strike out even if your grades are in hiring range. I have mixed feelings about the idea, but I am not wholly against the concept. I like being in law school, and would probably enjoy an extra year, as crazy as it sounds, but that would not be economically prudent. I have enough debt as it is, and have already committed to an unpaid internship in my field. I would say OP should only switch to PT if s/he can do it without racking up much extra debt. It's just a huge risk, and at the end of the day, OP might not ever find out what it was that made him or her strike out at OCI. People like to claim it's just about school, grades, and personality (and maybe WE), but I suspect there are other intangible factors at play.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:20 pm

I would think the advantage to switching to PT for someone who strikes out at OCI wouldn't be that they get to go through OCI again or that they have time to get their grades up. Rather, they could get a legal job or internship (preferably paid if possible) during the day and then go to class at night. Especially if it's a lower ranked school and you could have an opportunity to get a job on graduation if you do well and impress your employer. Once OCI is over, getting real, legal experience is more important than anything else you do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:35 pm

keg411 wrote:I would think the advantage to switching to PT for someone who strikes out at OCI wouldn't be that they get to go through OCI again or that they have time to get their grades up. Rather, they could get a legal job or internship (preferably paid if possible) during the day and then go to class at night. Especially if it's a lower ranked school and you could have an opportunity to get a job on graduation if you do well and impress your employer. Once OCI is over, getting real, legal experience is more important than anything else you do.

That's assuming op can get a legal job or internship during the school year (that's a big if with all the competition ITE). I'd just try to nail 2l grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:38 pm

MrAnon wrote:There is no reasonable shot. You already failed at OCI once. But if you were dumb enough to bid too highly the first time around and that alone is what cost you your shot, or if you were bad interviewer, then by all means, waste another year in law school. The real question a person should be asking is, should I drop out now?

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:40 pm

Don't all schools with part time programs have different tuition rates for the two programs? Part time students don't pay as much per year to my knowledge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:30 pm

I don't think the appreciation of grades should be counted on (although yes, similar class ranking will likely be a higher GPA given relaxed upper-class curves... but if your school ranks students this is largely irrelevant). I would assume similar class ranking after 2E, and base my decision on whether that class ranking will/should be enough to get a job through OCI.

If biglaw is your primary motivation for law school, then I do agree that you should be looking to either go PT/do joint degree/take leave of absence or consider dropping out.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:57 pm

keg411 wrote:I would think the advantage to switching to PT for someone who strikes out at OCI wouldn't be that they get to go through OCI again or that they have time to get their grades up. Rather, they could get a legal job or internship (preferably paid if possible) during the day and then go to class at night. Especially if it's a lower ranked school and you could have an opportunity to get a job on graduation if you do well and impress your employer. Once OCI is over, getting real, legal experience is more important than anything else you do.

Bingo.

Return to “Legal Employment”