T14 to Government, anyone?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

T14 to Government, anyone?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Thought that maybe there are a few of us actively choosing government over BigLaw and might want a thread of our own...

Lower T14 with w/e and advanced degrees, looking at Interior, Smithsonian, Capital Planning District, as well as a bunch of NGOs and 501(c)(3)s... (and clearly outing myself to my friends in the know...) Any 3Ls with experience in these areas?

Where else are people looking? Any interviews scheduled yet?

Anonymous User

Re: T14 to Government, anyone?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:48 am

Extremely difficult to get anything like that right now even with T14. A friend of my mine, who graduated w/honors at a T14 could not even get past a screening interview with a very low-prestige Fed Agency.

Most of your non-profit legal advocacy orgs and thinktanks only want HYS grads or someone coming off a prestigious clerkship.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:22 am

Is it really that difficult to get a job at low prestige Fed. Gov. agencies out of school? What if you have a lot of background in public service/interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:41 am

Absolutely. Problem is Fed.Gov. doesn't hire entry level very often and when they do, they only hire in small numbers. Even in a good economy it's very competitive. Right now, it's a lot tougher than you can possibly imagine.

Background in public interest or Gov internships don't matter because TONS of other applicants have that too.

Teoeo wrote:Is it really that difficult to get a job at low prestige Fed. Gov. agencies out of school? What if you have a lot of background in public service/interest.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:44 am

I think that it really varies. I have a friend with good grades at a top 10 who had good but not amazing (ie not top 10 percent) grades and did DOJ slip her 2L summer. It looks like she will be working there upon graduation as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:48 am

There are people who manage to squeak in somehow or just luck out in the crapshoot.

Doesn't take away from the fact that its very competitive and overall odds of landing a position right out of law school are very, very long.

Bottom line is, apply if you want to but don't count on getting a job.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:53 am

BruceWayne wrote:I think that it really varies. I have a friend with good grades at a top 10 who had good but not amazing (ie not top 10 percent) grades and did DOJ slip her 2L summer. It looks like she will be working there upon graduation as well.

Why does she think she'll have a post grad job there? I thought fed hiring rules prevented them from promising you anything in advance. Does DoJ respect the whole 2L summer thing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Talk to your career office. Plenty of students do DOJ (and elsewhere) internships and externships and do not get post-grad offers. With FedGov, you're usually dealing with an entirely different application process for post-grad jobs. It's not like being a 2L Biglaw Summer Associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:26 pm

Attrition rate for federal government attorneys is 6-7%, and that is slated to increase as babyboomers begin to start to retire in droves. Also, BLS projects an 8-13% hiring increase in federal attorneys over the next decade. That works out to around 2100-2500 job openings per year -- not a huge number, but not insignificant either.

And unlike (non-IP) BigLaw, work experience and additional grad degrees play a role in government hiring -- someone with a PhD in genetics or forestry and a JD from a top school is going to have an easier time getting in the door at NIH or Ag than someone with no experience and no advanced degree. So it may be difficult for generic applicants, but it's nowhere as impossible as people seem to be making it out to be, if you have the credentials.

Return to “Legal Employment”