Turning Down a Firm Before Receiving Travel Reimbursement

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turning Down a Firm Before Receiving Travel Reimbursement

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 pm

I had a few callbacks in the same city last week. I have already decided not to pursue a couple of the firms, but I haven't been reimbursed for my travel expenses yet. Is there any downside to "rejecting" a firm before I receive my travel reimbursement.

Kohinoor

Re: Turning Down a Firm Before Receiving Travel Reimbursement

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a few callbacks in the same city last week. I have already decided not to pursue a couple of the firms, but I haven't been reimbursed for my travel expenses yet. Is there any downside to "rejecting" a firm before I receive my travel reimbursement.

Bounty hunters.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:58 pm

I'm curious about this too. More specifically, I have 5 CBs in NYC next week, and I'm scheduled to stay in a hotel for 4 nights. Say I wanted to cancel 2 CBs; given the policy of paying for one night in a hotel per CB, how would that affect my reimbursement? Would I be in the clear since the hotel has been prepaid?

jchoggan

Postby jchoggan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious about this too. More specifically, I have 5 CBs in NYC next week, and I'm scheduled to stay in a hotel for 4 nights. Say I wanted to cancel 2 CBs; given the policy of paying for one night in a hotel per CB, how would that affect my reimbursement? Would I be in the clear since the hotel has been prepaid?

That would be really bad form. If you've already booked your hotel and travel for the CBs, do not cancel any of them. Give them the courtesy of going on the CB before you accept any offers, even if you think might have made your mind up.

To answer your question, if you did cancel, you would have to pay for the extra two nights at a hotel. You would also probably piss them off a little...

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Did I understand? You are going to stay in the hotel paid for by a firm but not go on the call back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:50 pm

littlebit wrote:Did I understand? You are going to stay in the hotel paid for by a firm but not go on the call back?

I think he/she means to stay in the hotel for the extra 2 nights and have the firms whose CBs he IS attending pay extra. I think the answer is no, those firms won't pay. Why should they? It would be cheaper for them to change your plane ticket than to pay for 2 extra nights in a hotel.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm curious about this too. More specifically, I have 5 CBs in NYC next week, and I'm scheduled to stay in a hotel for 4 nights. Say I wanted to cancel 2 CBs; given the policy of paying for one night in a hotel per CB, how would that affect my reimbursement? Would I be in the clear since the hotel has been prepaid?

All I can say is "Congratulations." Despite being developmentally disabled, you managed 5 CBs. Of course firms won't pay for your hotel if you cancel your CB w/ them. Jesus.

Postby 270910 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:05 am

If you have a long trip like that, there's really nothing you can do to get out of the CBs politely. Just... go on them and enjoy the hotel and free food?

McBean

Postby McBean » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:27 am

To answer OP's original question; no. They are not going to refuse reimbursement just because you did not accept their offer. On the extremely off-chance that they do, go see career services.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:36 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:02 am

NYAssociate wrote:
If you have a long trip like that, there's really nothing you can do to get out of the CBs politely. Just... go on them and enjoy the hotel and free food?

Try rereading the original post. The verb tense of the first sentence should be your first immediate clue.

I am the original poster. I think that disco's comment was directed toward the third poster, but not me.

By the way, thanks for the response.

Return to “Legal Employment”