Looks and personality----job prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nematoad

Re: Looks and personality----job prospects

Postby nematoad » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:04 pm

jt1341 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
naterj wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm decidedly below median at CLS. I have a very personable personality...that is objectively speaking from many people. I got 7 CBs, did 5, and got 4 offers (1 rejection). I guess I am about a 7 in looks or so. Unsure.

You sound more like a 5 or a 6, objectively speaking. Also, your overconfidence in the looks department is a little off-putting.

7 isn't that high in looks.

For real, unless your in the 8-9 range im not really talking about your kind of good looks :p

Wait up, wait up. I;ve been told in lawl school the justin longs and drew barrymores are the brads and angies. can anyone attest to this? If you are a 9 or 10 your ass needs to be on the runway not wasting your looks in a library.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:08 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
jt1341 wrote:So this has gone alot further then i thought it would. But i like to hear that it matters for something. One thing that sucks is i bust my ass 5 days a week in the gym, and no one will tell because suits cover it up! haha

Lets find a way around this....

If they cannot tell under your suits then you are

1. Not quite muscular enough---when you are really built a suit actually enhances your muscular frame.
2. Your suit is too big.

For you to look muscular through a suit your max bench will probably need to be around 300, and you'll need to be able to standing military press 135lbs for at least 10 reps.

Really? 300 lbs or 300 reps? I can do both. I can also do like 150 lbs for like 50 reps military press. I can squat a lot too. Do you think I would look good in a suit? I can do a bunch of push ups and pull ups and stuff too. Sometimes I run around a track and completely lose count of what lap I'm on. I have pics if you want them.
PM me this is going to drive me crazy!

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:10 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
jt1341 wrote:So this has gone alot further then i thought it would. But i like to hear that it matters for something. One thing that sucks is i bust my ass 5 days a week in the gym, and no one will tell because suits cover it up! haha

1. Not quite muscular enough---when you are really built a suit actually enhances your muscular frame.
2. Your suit is too big.

For you to look muscular through a suit your max bench will probably need to be around 300, and you'll need to be able to standing military press 135lbs for at least 10 reps.

Translation: you need to be super jacked. Don't waste your time lifting or going to the gym for the purpose of OCI. Unless you're fat.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:11 pm

jt1341 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

2. Your suit is too big.

Man my max is at 315 (3 plates for rooks), i dont do military press, but i can clean 235 6-8 times.

What do you wear under the suit? and you should be able to clean more than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:11 pm

nematoad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm decidedly below median at CLS. I have a very personable personality...that is objectively speaking from many people. I got 7 CBs, did 5, and got 4 offers (1 rejection). I guess I am about a 7 in looks or so. Unsure.

now are you a 7 or a hard 7? it's imperative because a hard 7+ and good personality is win.

imperative, huh?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 pm

naterj wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

2. Your suit is too big.

Really? 300 lbs or 300 reps? I can do both. I can also do like 150 lbs for like 50 reps military press. I can squat a lot too. Do you think I would look good in a suit? I can do a bunch of push ups and pull ups and stuff too. Sometimes I run around a track and completely lose count of what lap I'm on. I have pics if you want them.
PM me this is going to drive me crazy!

haha i love it!

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nematoad wrote:

now are you a 7 or a hard 7? it's imperative because a hard 7+ and good personality is win.

imperative, huh?

lol hyperboles are fun.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:23 pm

RVP11 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

2. Your suit is too big.

Translation: you need to be super jacked. Don't waste your time lifting or going to the gym for the purpose of OCI. Unless you're fat.

Get jacked for the call back

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:38 pm

At extremes looks plays a role. Personality matters more, IMO. (full disclosure - probably a 4 but charming --- hugely outperforming what my resume would suggest).

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:49 pm

jt1341 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

2. Your suit is too big.

Man my max is at 315 (3 plates for rooks), i dont do military press, but i can clean 235 6-8 times.

Start doing military presses asap, nothing changes your physique in regular clothing more than wider shoulders. That's probably the key to looking muscular while wearing a suit (think about how they take measurements for you when you are getting fitted). Still, if you can really do 315 for a couple of reps you should still look relatively muscular in a suit. Are you cheating through your reps (not touching sternum on the descent and going super fast through the whole press, or bouncing the weight and jumping up off the bench)?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:55 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

2. Your suit is too big.

Start doing military presses asap, nothing changes your physique in regular clothing more than wider shoulders. That's probably the key to looking muscular while wearing a suit (think about how they take measurements for you when you are getting fitted). Still, if you can really do 315 for a couple of reps you should still look relatively muscular in a suit. Are you cheating through your reps (not touching sternum on the descent and going super fast through the whole press, or bouncing the weight and jumping up off the bench)?

Haha, man o man. I was joking around. Yes i do bench correctly. I was a personal trainer for a couple years (though ive seen some that look like they have never worked out). But yea i guess you can tell a more muscular build in a suit. The jacket kind of hides it. But again i was jokin :)

UnTouChablE

Postby UnTouChablE » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:56 pm

jt1341 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

2. Your suit is too big.

Mafuking Arnold Schwarznegger! I walk away from people like you at the gym; better put those plates up wen you done.

For all the Cuties out there; Holla at me! I aint hiring... right now, but we can build bridges for later in life. If you ugly ignore this, except if you cook then maybe we can work something out.

In regards to the conversation, the answer is so obvious it is not even funny; its also a surmountable obstacle in any situation, social or formal, so it really does not matter. We all have to compensate for our weakness no matter what they turn out to be, looks included.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:01 pm

Haha, man o man. I was joking around. Yes i do bench correctly. I was a personal trainer for a couple years (though ive seen some that look like they have never worked out). But yea i guess you can tell a more muscular build in a suit. The jacket kind of hides it. But again i was jokin :)

LOL yeah being able to bench 315 and still not looking muscular did sound off to me. I've never met anyone who could lift that kind of weight who didn't look like they were serious about lifting. When you're lifting that kind of weight, even a natural ectomorph starts looking muscular.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 pm

jt1341 wrote:This may be the wrong section for this, if so feel free to move.

How much does being good looking and very personable help in getting a job.

Lets say you are at a T14, about median in your class, relatively good looking, and communicate/get along with others very well.

Will this put you at an advantage over someone who is maybe top 20-30% and held neither of the mentioned characteristics.

If you think this is a very dumb question please ignore it.

In this economy, firms can afford to hire people who are good looking, personable, AND top 20-30%.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:10 pm

rayiner wrote:

Lets say you are at a T14, about median in your class, relatively good looking, and communicate/get along with others very well.

Will this put you at an advantage over someone who is maybe top 20-30% and held neither of the mentioned characteristics.

In this economy, firms can afford to hire people who are good looking, personable, AND top 20-30%.

How are things at NU? I'm curious if your WE requirement is helping you to place better than your overall rep would suggest (I'm guessing it does/is).

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:15 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
rayiner wrote:

How are things at NU? I'm curious if your WE requirement is helping you to place better than your overall rep would suggest (I'm guessing it does/is).

People with legit WE + decent grades are cleaning up. A decent number of people are muffing the execution though. Don't be one of those people.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:18 pm

rayiner wrote:In this economy, firms can afford to hire people who are good looking, personable, AND top 20-30%.

i feel bad for people who are quite unattractive and in law school. it must suck to know for sure that the whole ugly-smart pretty-dumb dichotomy is an invention of the media.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:18 am

edit: Eh, nevermind. Suffice to say, looks likely matter.

Return to “Legal Employment”