Looks and personality----job prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Looks and personality----job prospects

Postby 005618502 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:13 pm

This may be the wrong section for this, if so feel free to move.

How much does being good looking and very personable help in getting a job.

Lets say you are at a T14, about median in your class, relatively good looking, and communicate/get along with others very well.

Will this put you at an advantage over someone who is maybe top 20-30% and held neither of the mentioned characteristics.

If you think this is a very dumb question please ignore it.

Anonymous User

Re: Looks and personality----job prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:17 pm

It's all about firm fit (and luck of the draw in interviewers). Some firms/interviewers don't care if you're an aspie as long as you're top quarter and on law review. Some firms/interviewers do. You'll def be better off than your peers at median though. But being a hot girl >>>>>> being a hot guy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:19 pm

The above describes me, almost perfectly, but I'm a little higher than median. I only had 10 screeners, but turned 6 in to CBs. A lot of my friends had 20-30 screeners and managed 5-6 CBs. I would attribute my success to good looks and being personable. It has been suggested that interviewers (all people actually) make up their mind about you within 2 minutes of meeting you and sometimes even before you speak.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm ugly as hell and am batting under .100 on my screeners -- t14, top 1/3, etc. FML.

Although I'm sure there are other factors, I have no doubt that my hideousness plays a serious role.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:21 pm

ITE, you need to stand out from the other people interviewing with that person to get a cb- that's it. Most of the time, it will be grades that make you stand out. Right now, work experience also helps. If you are exceptionally good-looking or personable, that can help you as well. Like the guy above said, it's over in the first two minutes.

Of course, there's no negative correlation between grades and looks/personality. So that top 20% person could also be the most personable guy the interviewer meets that day. Very rare is the person who has such a bad personality that they can have a 4.0 and still not get any cbs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Now imagine having good looks + being in 5 % of your class?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ITE, you need to stand out from the other people interviewing with that person to get a cb- that's it. Most of the time, it will be grades that make you stand out. Right now, work experience also helps. If you are exceptionally good-looking or personable, that can help you as well. Like the guy above said, it's over in the first two minutes.

Of course, there's no negative correlation between grades and looks/personality. So that top 20% person could also be the most personable guy the interviewer meets that day. Very rare is the person who has such a bad personality that they can have a 4.0 and still not get any cbs.

You have to go stoned. (not kidding)

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:32 pm

I don't know how anyone could give a "professional" answer to this. It is a widely accepted axiom that good looking people are more successful at nearly everything--that's just the way it goes.

Put it this way, if you're a female hiring partner and you can hire the guy in first pic or the second pic (considering they have equal qualifications) who are you going hire?

--ImageRemoved--

Or what if you were a male hiring partner and these two candidates had equal qualification and you had to choose?

--ImageRemoved--

greatfool

Postby greatfool » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 pm

I think looks and ability to communicate/get along with people count for very little in the summer associate hiring process compared to how much they will actually help in getting an offer, and actual job situations.

From what I've seen a lot of big firms have a formula for associates that looks something like [as smart as possible] + [demonstrated ability to work tirelessly/sacrifice for work] and then [decent normal personality, no major psychological disorders].

This is the formula thats gonna maximize their returns, focusing on really smart hardworking people, and just making sure the personality factor meets certain basic standards. Being an associate in a big firm is NOT a personality driven job, you're not a salesman, not a manager, you're a basic level worker. So looks/personality is a "nice to have" more than an absolute requirement.

That being said, things are different at small firms, different regions, ect and maybe firms think about needing future partners so some extent but I haven't seen any evidence of it.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Newsweek had a pretty big article about this a few months ago. http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/19/the-beauty-advantage.html The article concludes that it plays a significant role these days. It's a sad reality, and often times we all are subconsciously included in that way of thinking. Personally, I think a good personality trumps all(good looking or not)... and if you are good looking w/ a good personality you win at life.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:43 pm

nematoad wrote:Newsweek had a pretty big article about this a few months ago. http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/19/the-beauty-advantage.html The article concludes that it plays a significant role these days. It's a sad reality, and often times we all are subconsciously included in that way of thinking. Personally, I think a good personality trumps all(good looking or not)... and if you are good looking w/ a good personality you win at life.

Not to come off as shallow (heck I'm pretty average looking myself) but is this something that needed/deserved research???? I mean how could you not think this played a role in almost every facet of human interaction? There have been similar studies on height and how that affects the careers of men. And contrary to the popular stereotype women are just as biased in regards to looks as men. I believe there was a study that concluded the average woman decides within the first 60 seconds of meeting a guy whether or not she will sleep with him. If you think about it that's pretty remarkable.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:46 pm

nematoad wrote: if you are good looking w/ a good personality you win at life.

This. To be completely honest I am ridiculously good looking and exceptionally personable and I think that has contributed to all my success in a major way. I mean looking like George Clooney is great and everything but then on top of all that I have amazing abs AND amazing social skills. It's almost not even fair that all of you fugly aspies have to compete in the job market with me.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:46 pm

I had no idea the T14 was filled with beauty as well as brilliance. Good to know.... Good to know...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm decidedly below median at CLS. I have a very personable personality...that is objectively speaking from many people. I got 7 CBs, did 5, and got 4 offers (1 rejection). I guess I am about a 7 in looks or so. Unsure.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:52 pm

Maybe if you are ugly and you get an ugly interviewer they will want to help you because they remember being an unattractive 20-something and all the sadness that is associated with it.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm decidedly below median at CLS. I have a very personable personality...that is objectively speaking from many people. I got 7 CBs, did 5, and got 4 offers (1 rejection). I guess I am about a 7 in looks or so. Unsure.

You sound more like a 5 or a 6, objectively speaking. Also, your overconfidence in the looks department is a little off-putting.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:56 pm

So this has gone alot further then i thought it would. But i like to hear that it matters for something. One thing that sucks is i bust my ass 5 days a week in the gym, and no one will tell because suits cover it up! haha

Lets find a way around this....

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:57 pm

naterj wrote:It's almost not even fair that all of you fugly aspies have to compete in the job market with me.

naterj wrote:Also, your overconfidence in the looks department is a little off-putting.

lol

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:58 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
nematoad wrote:Newsweek had a pretty big article about this a few months ago. http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/19/the-beauty-advantage.html The article concludes that it plays a significant role these days. It's a sad reality, and often times we all are subconsciously included in that way of thinking. Personally, I think a good personality trumps all(good looking or not)... and if you are good looking w/ a good personality you win at life.

Not to come off as shallow (heck I'm pretty average looking myself) but is this something that needed/deserved research???? I mean how could you not think this played a role in almost every facet of human interaction? There have been similar studies on height and how that affects the careers of men. And contrary to the popular stereotype women are just as biased in regards to looks as men. I believe there was a study that concluded the average woman decides within the first 60 seconds of meeting a guy whether or not she will sleep with him. If you think about it that's pretty remarkable.

I don't think you come off shallow. You were probably just more realistic growing up. A lot of people don't like the idea that a person could be preferred/rejected for something that they have no control over. But in society there is an incentive to mating with or hiring good looking people. I think the movie Antz was the first time I really started to understand that concept (Woody Allen knows how to pull at the heart strings of 10 year olds... and then apparently marry them).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:59 pm

naterj wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm decidedly below median at CLS. I have a very personable personality...that is objectively speaking from many people. I got 7 CBs, did 5, and got 4 offers (1 rejection). I guess I am about a 7 in looks or so. Unsure.

You sound more like a 5 or a 6, objectively speaking. Also, your overconfidence in the looks department is a little off-putting.

7 isn't that high in looks.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
naterj wrote:

For real, unless your in the 8-9 range im not really talking about your kind of good looks :p

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 pm

jt1341 wrote:So this has gone alot further then i thought it would. But i like to hear that it matters for something. One thing that sucks is i bust my ass 5 days a week in the gym, and no one will tell because suits cover it up! haha

If they cannot tell under your suits then you are

1. Not quite muscular enough---when you are really built a suit actually enhances your muscular frame.
2. Your suit is too big.

For you to look muscular through a suit your max bench will probably need to be around 300, and you'll need to be able to standing military press 135lbs for at least 10 reps.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 pm

now are you a 7 or a hard 7? it's imperative because a hard 7+ and good personality is win.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:03 pm

jt1341 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
naterj wrote:

For real, unless your in the 8-9 range im not really talking about your kind of good looks :p

Would you put 5 as the median of all human beings?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:04 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
jt1341 wrote:So this has gone alot further then i thought it would. But i like to hear that it matters for something. One thing that sucks is i bust my ass 5 days a week in the gym, and no one will tell because suits cover it up! haha

If they cannot tell under your suits then you are

1. Not quite muscular enough---when you are really built a suit actually enhances your muscular frame.
2. Your suit is too big.

For you to look muscular through a suit your max bench will probably need to be around 300, and you'll need to be able to standing military press 135lbs for at least 10 reps.

Man my max is at 315 (3 plates for rooks), i dont do military press, but i can clean 235 6-8 times.

Return to “Legal Employment”