Offer on the table...any use in tryin to leverage?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Offer on the table...any use in tryin to leverage?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:32 pm

I have an offer on the table from a firm that is one of my top choices. However, I have heard that my top choice (that I interviewed with 2 weeks ago) has started to send out offers. Is there any use whatsoever in calling the recruiting coordinator and saying I wanted to talk to my top choice before accepting the offer.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Offer on the table...any use in tryin to leverage?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer on the table from a firm that is one of my top choices. However, I have heard that my top choice (that I interviewed with 2 weeks ago) has started to send out offers. Is there any use whatsoever in calling the recruiting coordinator and saying I wanted to talk to my top choice before accepting the offer.

Thanks.

I think this can swing both ways. It will certainly speed up the process, but it's unclear whether that would lead to a positive result. If you're already in the yes or no pile but just haven't been notified, it makes no difference.

However I imagine that if you're in some kind of hold pile, they will probably make a decision based on how they're leaning. So if they don't particularly want to take you but are keeping you around in case they get crappy yield, you'll probably be rejected. Conversely, if they liked you but haven't quite gotten around to pulling the trigger, that could tip them over the edge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:21 pm

I was told at one of my callbacks to inform them if I got another offer and was in a time crunch. I don't think it'll hurt you, as long as you're polite/undemanding/humble about it. I can really only imagine it helping as they'd see that other firms want you, and they'd know they need to act fast to keep you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:22 pm

if they see themselves as peer firms it might help

Return to “Legal Employment”