Tell me what you know about Patterson Belknap

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dixiecupdrinking

Re: Tell me what you know about Patterson Belknap

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:52 am

Is it really/still a "lifestyle" firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Posting anonymously since I'm not sure how widely this is known but apparently they will no longer be taking summer associates FYI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Posting anonymously since I'm not sure how widely this is known but apparently they will no longer be taking summer associates FYI

P. sure this is a troll, I haven't heard anything of the sort.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:56 pm

e: double post

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Posting anonymously since I'm not sure how widely this is known but apparently they will no longer be taking summer associates FYI

P. sure this is a troll, I haven't heard anything of the sort.

Don't think so. See http://www.pbwt.com/careers/recruitingcontacts/ - looks like they are not hiring for next summer, and instead will look to hire people from the Class of 2016 in fall 2015, after they've finished their summers.

Anecdotally, I can also tell you that they aren't coming to Columbia EIP this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:49 pm

Very interesting. Any idea why they made the shift?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Very interesting. Any idea why they made the shift?

Baseless speculation here, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the winding down of mortgage-backed securities litigation in the face of the NY statute of limitations? They made a huge business of that type of work over the past few years, and I could see them getting conservative about hiring in the face of shifting litigation opportunities.

They also have a bit of a reputation for post-clerkship hiring, so they might be moving to rely more heavily on that model?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:06 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Is it really/still a "lifestyle" firm?

I'd be interested in the answer to this (whatever the term means), as well as whether anyone who works there has had a good experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Baseless speculation here, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the winding down of mortgage-backed securities litigation in the face of the NY statute of limitations? They made a huge business of that type of work over the past few years, and I could see them getting conservative about hiring in the face of shifting litigation opportunities.

They also have a bit of a reputation for post-clerkship hiring, so they might be moving to rely more heavily on that model?

I think a lot of it is that when you hire clerks they start pretty far ahead and training costs are lower.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think a lot of it is that when you hire clerks they start pretty far ahead and training costs are lower.

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any more specific questions, I can answer

long story short it's a great place to work and I would say v. underrated by law students

How are the hours? Are you happy with the quality of the work you do? What percentage of the work is doc review for a junior associate? How much pro bono can you do? I know they have a great pro bono reputation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

long story short it's a great place to work and I would say v. underrated by law students

How are the hours? Are you happy with the quality of the work you do? What percentage of the work is doc review for a junior associate? How much pro bono can you do? I know they have a great pro bono reputation.

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Bump!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Bumping this thread for visibility.

I'm currently in the post-clerkship job hunt and hadn't really considered Patterson until I started doing some research. I've read all the TLS threads I can find about the firm and the feedback has generally been incredibly positive (fingers are crossed for an interview). My concern is that Patterson doesn't have the same name recognition as, say, Paul Weiss, DPW, Cleary, Debevoise, Gibson Dunn, etc., which might be valuable if I decide to leave NYC. Can any current attorneys speak to Patterson's reputation both within and outside of NYC (in a way that doesn't simply rehash the Vault rankings)? And would working at Patterson limit your career prospects/trajectory in any appreciable way when compared to NYC megafirms - particularly those that have well-regarded litigation departments?

Additionally, I know Patterson has a diversified litigation practice, but has done a ton of RMBS work over the past few years. Can anyone speak to what the firm's future looks like if/when that work starts to dry up? And should this be a serious factor to consider in the event that the option to work for Patterson is on the table? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:58 pm

Also interested in the post above and how selective they are now that they're just recruiting clerks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:24 am

Bump

Return to “Legal Employment”