covington vs gibson vs cleary (all DC)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

covington vs gibson vs cleary (all DC)?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:53 pm

general lit, with a potential antitrust focus?

dbt

Re: covington vs gibson vs cleary (all DC)?

Postby dbt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:55 pm

Covington or Gibson, depending on your political leanings maybe. Covington does plenty of antitrust stuff...I know Cleary DC focuses on that heavily but I wouldn't hole yourself in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Gibson DC isn't ranked for general lit in chambers. Not sure why, but just learned that today and thought that may be relevant. Maybe someone else can provide more information than that.

chup

Postby chup » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:13 am

dbt wrote:Covington or Gibson, depending on your political leanings maybe. Covington does plenty of antitrust stuff...I know Cleary DC focuses on that heavily but I wouldn't hole yourself in.

If you want antitrust, Cleary is your firm by about a mile.

dbt

Postby dbt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:07 am

chup wrote:
dbt wrote:Covington or Gibson, depending on your political leanings maybe. Covington does plenty of antitrust stuff...I know Cleary DC focuses on that heavily but I wouldn't hole yourself in.

If you want antitrust, Cleary is your firm by about a mile.

Yes, but the OP said a potential interest in antitrust. Unless you're certain on that particular area, I'd be careful to pass up a firm like Cov or Gibson for Cleary.

bobjones23

Postby bobjones23 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 am

bump

Any more thoughts on Covington DC v Gibson DC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson DC isn't ranked for general lit in chambers. Not sure why, but just learned that today and thought that may be relevant. Maybe someone else can provide more information than that.

Yes it is. Same band as Covington. http://www.chambersandpartners.com/usa/ ... 7#org_3688

Cleary, however, is not.

For general lit it's either Gibson or Covington. If you're sure about antitrust the answer is probably Cleary. I'd say it probably depends more on the people and the office environment. I personally hated my callback with Covington and loved Gibson's people.

Go wherever you fit in best and you'll likely enjoy the next 3-5 year much more than if you make the decision based off of momentary rankings that can change drastically if one or two partner decides to change firms / retire / transition into government should a new administration come in to town.

Return to “Legal Employment”