Help: Irell or Covington for Life Science IP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Irell or Covington

Irell
60%
Covington
40%

Total votes: 10

Anonymous User

Help: Irell or Covington for Life Science IP

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Hey all,

Options include: Irell (L.A.) and Covington and Burling (D.C.)

Like everyone on this site, I am interested in life science work in general, and IP litigation in particular. Irell is great in patent litigation, of course, but it seems like they are largely focused on silicon-based (or metal-based) rather than carbon-based technologies. Covington, in contrast, is a powerhouse in life science work, and very strong in patent litigation, especially in D.C.

I'm leaning toward Covington because if I decide I do not want to do patent litigation they have tons of other things that interest me: FDA regulatory work, patent prosecution/consulting work, hell, they even rock in sports law.

Irell's practice areas don't really appeal to me outside of IP.

My only fear in going to a place like Covington is that I may not get as substantive work as earlier as I could get it elsewhere. I just canceled a bunch of callbacks at smaller IP shops, and I'm starting to have buyer's remorse over choosing a firm.

dbt

Re: Help: Irell or Covington for Life Science IP

Postby dbt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:04 pm

Don't you have a preference between DC and LA? Those are really different cities.

I'd go with Covington.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:09 pm

dbt wrote:Don't you have a preference between DC and LA? Those are really different cities.

I'd go with Covington.

I think I would like either city, though I have never lived in either. I'll have more friends in D.C., especially next summer, so that's a plus for Covington. But L.A. has perfect summer weather, in my opinion, and I love to surf.

dbt

Postby dbt » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dbt wrote:Don't you have a preference between DC and LA? Those are really different cities.

I'd go with Covington.

I think I would like either city, though I have never lived in either. I'll have more friends in D.C., especially next summer, so that's a plus for Covington. But L.A. has perfect summer weather, in my opinion, and I love to surf.

If you're really not too sure, I would think Covington DC has more of a national presence (so easier to lateral to Irell or some other CA firm later if you decide that's what you wanted, not DC).

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'd go with Covington.

If you've never lived in LA and haven't spent a substantial amount of time there, my vote is to go with DC. Living in LA can be, especially for the uninitiated, a relatively colossal hassle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Irell:
-LA is more laid back than DC
-easier to work from home
-higher partner-to-associate ratio (more substantive opportunities as a young attorney)
-didn't freeze salaries
-generally has higher-than-market bonuses
-I don't know much about exit options, but they can't be that much worse.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Irell:
-higher partner-to-associate ratio (more substantive opportunities as a young attorney)
-didn't freeze salaries

LA is not "laid back." Venice, maybe, but not LA. It's just uptight in a different way than DC. In DC people namedrop political figures, in LA it's all idiots trying to break into the entertainment industry. I once had someone at a party brag to me--brag--about hanging out with Shia LeBouf.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:19 pm

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Irell:
-didn't freeze salaries

LA is not "laid back." Venice, maybe, but not LA. It's just uptight in a different way than DC. In DC people namedrop political figures, in LA it's all idiots trying to break into the entertainment industry. I once had someone at a party brag to me--brag--about hanging out with Shia LeBouf.

I'm sure that's true. I'm thinking more of the legal industry. I did cb's at two LA firms (Irell being one) and multiple DC firms (including C&B). With few exceptions, people in LA worked fewer hours (or so they claimed). Dress was generally less formal. People were more likely to work from home, at least part time. Maybe I don't have a representative sample.

I'm not sure if I will be at Irell, but I would definitely take it over C&B, but I'm more familiar with LA than OP is.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:07 pm

Covington's life sciences practice, as I understand it, is 1) a DC based regulatory practice and 2) the refuge (or whatever more PC term you prefer) from Heller Erman's west coast IP practice. Whether that's really good, good, neutral, or negative I am less sure of - but it's worth investigation.

Return to “Legal Employment”