Breaking into patent prosecution

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Breaking into patent prosecution

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:53 pm

Anyone have some tips on breaking into the patent prosecution field?

I have a good technical background (MS Electrical Engineering, work experience) and my legal background is ok (top 33% at a first tier school). I've been told that I interview well, but it's a very competitive market. I haven't received any callbacks from OCI so far.

I think that I need to start applying to smaller patent prosecution specialized firms. Would they have the same time line as larger firms? I'm wondering if I should be applying now or later. Many of these firms tend to range from 5 - 35 lawyers.

thwalls

Re: Breaking into patent prosecution

Postby thwalls » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have some tips on breaking into the patent prosecution field?

I have a good technical background (MS Electrical Engineering, work experience) and my legal background is ok (top 33% at a first tier school). I've been told that I interview well, but it's a very competitive market. I haven't received any callbacks from OCI so far.

I think that I need to start applying to smaller patent prosecution specialized firms. Would they have the same time line as larger firms? I'm wondering if I should be applying now or later. Many of these firms tend to range from 5 - 35 lawyers.

The electrical engineering background is nice. Have you passed the patent bar yet? Having your registration will be a huge help. I would say to start looking at the smaller firms on martindale.com and see how you can do with the firms that have 20 attorneys or less.

I currently work at a smaller firm, and hopefully I can stay here for the next twenty years if I can.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 pm

thwalls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have some tips on breaking into the patent prosecution field?

The electrical engineering background is nice. Have you passed the patent bar yet? Having your registration will be a huge help. I would say to start looking at the smaller firms on martindale.com and see how you can do with the firms that have 20 attorneys or less.

I currently work at a smaller firm, and hopefully I can stay here for the next twenty years if I can.

Good luck!

No, I haven't passed the patent bar yet.

Since you work at a smaller firm, do you know when your firm traditionally considers people for summer associate positions?

thwalls

Postby thwalls » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:22 am

Since you work at a smaller firm, do you know when your firm traditionally considers people for summer associate positions?

Usually, our firm does not higher summer associates since we're predominantly composed of either a) attorneys who started as patent agents while going to night school or b) patent agents who are currently in night school (like yours truly).

But just because we're a firm that hasn't recently, I do not think that means that we never would. I think that makes sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:02 pm

thwalls wrote:

Usually, our firm does not higher summer associates since we're predominantly composed of either a) attorneys who started as patent agents while going to night school or b) patent agents who are currently in night school (like yours truly).

But just because we're a firm that hasn't recently, I do not think that means that we never would. I think that makes sense.

Thanks. Sometimes I think that I should have gone part-time at night school myself instead of going full-time.

Return to “Legal Employment”