Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
reasonable_man

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:48 am

acr0504 wrote:Litigator- sits in at 7 hour deposition. says "objection" four times. 4 hours writing appellate brief.
Corp Attorney- reads fine print contracts for 12 hours.

I'm much more spirited at my depositions. I also object at least 7 times an hour... Why? Cause fuck those guys.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:50 am

reasonable_man wrote:
acr0504 wrote:Litigator- sits in at 7 hour deposition. says "objection" four times. 4 hours writing appellate brief.

I'm much more spirited at my depositions. I also object at least 7 times an hour... Why? Cause fuck those guys.

I was at a deposition. The defending guy kept objecting on hearsay grounds. WTF. I wanted to kill him. Also "leading question!" Remedial evidence class, now bitch.

bigben

Postby bigben » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:This is why bankruptcy > all. Send off the majority of the schleck work to the corporate or lit people. Focus time writing motion for reimbursement of fees. Win.

Bankruptcy seems cool since it combines corp and lit, but, IDK, dood. I feel like I would be very depressed working bankruptcy cases. So many lives ruined, you know?

Lol. They're talking about BKs of large corporations.

In personal BK you're every day hustlin' on the streets along with the DUI guy, trying to snag some small fees.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:53 am

bigben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:This is why bankruptcy > all. Send off the majority of the schleck work to the corporate or lit people. Focus time writing motion for reimbursement of fees. Win.

Bankruptcy seems cool since it combines corp and lit, but, IDK, dood. I feel like I would be very depressed working bankruptcy cases. So many lives ruined, you know?

In personal BK you're every day hustlin' on the streets along with the DUI guy, trying to snag some small fees.

Yeah. My exit options as a bankruptcy guy = killself. After I handle my own Ch. 7, anyway.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:54 am

bigben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not on TLS... On TLS... Small-law hustlers trying to make ends meet by doing run of the mill legal work does not exist. This unpleasant side of the profession is swept securely under the rug where it belongs. Everyone here will be working on billion dollar mergers and billion dollar antitrust cases.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:56 am

reasonable_man wrote:
bigben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not on TLS... On TLS... Small-law hustlers trying to make ends meet by doing run of the mill legal work does not exist. This unpleasant side of the profession is swept securely under the rug where it belongs. Everyone here will be working on billion dollar mergers and billion dollar antitrust cases.

Indeed. And running hedge funds on the side.

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:57 am

it's all a preference question. some love legal writing and research and some love closing deals. it just depends on what you want. both have pluses and minuses (see above).

bigben

Postby bigben » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:58 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
bigben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah. My exit options as a bankruptcy guy = killself. After I handle my own Ch. 7, anyway.

I don't know, bankruptcy seems like a good area. Especially during certain times, of course. You'd be trying to exit to a mid-size firm or something most likely. Or BK judgeship, ha ha. I've heard of BK guys going in-house but I think that was because the corp was going through it.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:00 am

Meh. Hoping to not be worrying about exit options. Lol @ that possibility in 10 years, but oh well.

I'm not sure I've heard of BK attorneys going in-house to handle a corporate bankruptcy. I'm sure it has happened in mid-market situations, but eh. BK judgeship all the way!

bigben

Postby bigben » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:03 am

reasonable_man wrote:
bigben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

*gets a phone call through the yellow pages*

"What's that, you've got some debt you say? Oh my. Wal-mart credit card out of control. I see. Well in my expert lawyer opinion you should definitely file bankruptcy..."

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:56 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

I was at a deposition. The defending guy kept objecting on hearsay grounds. WTF. I wanted to kill him. Also "leading question!" Remedial evidence class, now bitch.

The defending attorney was objecting on the grounds of "leading?"

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:05 am

reasonable_man wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

The defending attorney was objecting on the grounds of "leading?"

Twice, yeah. Even more inexcuseable than the "hearsay" objections. Sigh.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:19 am

I mean most attorneys will object to leading questions at a deposition by way of an "objection to form" - though ulitimately, i believe that you really are entitled to ask a leading question at a deposition and I often do.

As far as hearsay, thats an absurd objection to make under the revised rules for deposisions.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:19 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:Corp:Drafting documents, negotiating terms on buyouts, investments, fund formation docs, M+A stuff, etc, closing parties, advising clients on implications of their actions, etc. Sounds like it would be a ton of fun actually.due diligence

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:23 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Meh. Hoping to not be worrying about exit options. Lol @ that possibility in 10 years, but oh well.

I'm not sure I've heard of BK attorneys going in-house to handle a corporate bankruptcy. I'm sure it has happened in mid-market situations, but eh. BK judgeship all the way!

Why not just go in-house as a generalist? The best part of bankruptcy is that you can credibly say you've done a little bit of everything.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:27 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Meh. Hoping to not be worrying about exit options. Lol @ that possibility in 10 years, but oh well.

Why not just go in-house as a generalist? The best part of bankruptcy is that you can credibly say you've done a little bit of everything.

Eh, in the really high-end bankruptcy groups (i.e., Weil, Kirkland) not really. The bankruptcy group basically farms out the non-bankruptcy issues to the other practices in the firm. For example, though a bankruptcy attorney will generally be around for important depositions in a huge fraudulent coveyance action, they won't be the one taking the dep - a litigation associate will be doing it. When the papers are being drawn up for the capital aquisition etc. in the reorganized company, corporate (or finance, depending) people will draw those up. When you're handling a 363 acquisition, your private equity lawyers will do most of the paperwork.

The BK guy is basically there to do the things unique to bankruptcy - drawing up the plan of reorganization, dealing with the committees, dealing with valuation hearings, blah blah. It's really high-end, difficult work, but it's highly specialized. My understanding is that it doesn't translate very well to any other practice.

Edit: OTOH, at least at the firm I'm going to, bankruptcy people have a higher % chance of making partner, so hopefully exit options won't even be a consideration. I'm shooting for the 1/8.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:31 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Eh, in the really high-end bankruptcy groups (i.e., Weil, Kirkland) not really. The bankruptcy group basically farms out the non-bankruptcy issues to the other practices in the firm. For example, though a bankruptcy attorney will generally be around for important depositions in a huge fraudulent coveyance action, they won't be the one taking the dep - a litigation associate will be doing it. When the papers are being drawn up for the capital aquisition etc. in the reorganized company, corporate (or finance, depending) people will draw those up. When you're handling a 363 acquisition, your private equity lawyers will do most of the paperwork.

The BK guy is basically there to do the things unique to bankruptcy - drawing up the plan of reorganization, dealing with the committees, dealing with valuation hearings, blah blah. It's really high-end, difficult work, but it's highly specialized. My understanding is that it doesn't translate very well to any other practice.

Edit: OTOH, at least at the firm I'm going to, bankruptcy people have a higher % chance of making partner, so hopefully exit options won't even be a consideration. I'm shooting for the 1/8.

This is extremely credited. When I worked at Kirkland as a lit paralegal, I frequently ended up handing the litigation aspects of many bankruptcy cases. Occasionally a senior bankruptcy person would come to the trial, but it was rare for them to do much or bring junior bankruptcy people.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:Eh, in the really high-end bankruptcy groups (i.e., Weil, Kirkland) not really. The bankruptcy group basically farms out the non-bankruptcy issues to the other practices in the firm. For example, though a bankruptcy attorney will generally be around for important depositions in a huge fraudulent coveyance action, they won't be the one taking the dep - a litigation associate will be doing it. When the papers are being drawn up for the capital aquisition etc. in the reorganized company, corporate (or finance, depending) people will draw those up. When you're handling a 363 acquisition, your private equity lawyers will do most of the paperwork.

This is extremely credited. When I worked at Kirkland as a lit paralegal, I frequently ended up handing the litigation aspects of many bankruptcy cases. Occasionally a senior bankruptcy person would come to the trial, but it was rare for them to do much or bring junior bankruptcy people.

Would you mind PMing me?

acr0504

Postby acr0504 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:02 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:

FAV depo objection- "asked and answered" but say it with flava ASKED AND ANSWERED FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST!!!

(oh, and also AMBIGUOUS.)

Return to “Legal Employment”