Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Thoughts?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:29 pm

Kicking butt versus kissing butt ?

User avatar
acr0504
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:55 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby acr0504 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:34 pm

Litigator- sits in at 7 hour deposition. says "objection" four times. 4 hours writing appellate brief.
Corp Attorney- reads fine print contracts for 12 hours.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 pm

acr0504 wrote:Litigator- sits in at 7 hour deposition. says "objection" four times. 4 hours writing appellate brief.
Corp Attorney- reads fine print contracts for 12 hours.



Credited?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:51 pm

lit = fun

corp = most boring job imaginable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lit = fun

corp = most boring job imaginable.



Explain.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:02 pm

Why anon?

User avatar
profs<3mycomments
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby profs<3mycomments » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:05 pm

acr0504 wrote:Litigator- sits in at 7 hour deposition. says "objection" four times. 4 hours writing "relevant," "not relevant," "not relevant," "not relevant," "relevant," "not relevant."
Corp Attorney- reads fine print contracts for 12 hours.


ftfy

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby bigben » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:06 pm

Varies too much to make any generalizations about the day-to-day.

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous Loser » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:12 pm

Above post about overgeneralization is tcr.

For example:

Litigator: Stares at computer screen for 9 hours looking on Westlaw for a case that doesn't exist.

Corp. Attorney: Puts on largely ineffective Powerpoint presentation at seminar regarding changes to area of law relevant to interests of clients and potential clients; sits in on 4 1/2 hour board meeting, speaking only once to point out that business judgement rule likely protects whatever decision is under consideration.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:Above post about overgeneralization is tcr.

For example:

Litigator: Stares at computer screen for 9 hours looking on Westlaw for a case that doesn't exist.

Corp. Attorney: Puts on largely ineffective Powerpoint presentation at seminar regarding changes to area of law relevant to interests of clients and potential clients; sits in on 4 1/2 hour board meeting, speaking only once to point out that business judgement rule likely protects whatever decision is under consideration.



lol

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby bigben » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lit = fun

corp = most boring job imaginable.

lit - 1L writing class in your office for the rest of your life

corp - baller doin' deals, cigars over golf, closing parties
Last edited by bigben on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:15 pm

bigben wrote:Varies too much to make any generalizations about the day-to-day.



oh, well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:15 pm

bigben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:lit = fun

corp = most boring job imaginable.

lit - 1L writing class for the rest of your life in your office

corp - baller doin' deals, cigars over golf, closing parties



But, what if I know SHIT about corps?

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:16 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:Above post about overgeneralization is tcr.

For example:

Litigator: Stares at computer screen for 9 hours looking on Westlaw for a case that doesn't exist.

Corp. Attorney: Puts on largely ineffective Powerpoint presentation at seminar regarding changes to area of law relevant to interests of clients and potential clients; sits in on 4 1/2 hour board meeting, speaking only once to point out that business judgement rule likely protects whatever decision is under consideration.


Yeah, but only the litigator got to bill *all* that time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:18 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:Above post about overgeneralization is tcr.

For example:

Litigator: Stares at computer screen for 9 hours looking on Westlaw for a case that doesn't exist.

Corp. Attorney: Puts on largely ineffective Powerpoint presentation at seminar regarding changes to area of law relevant to interests of clients and potential clients; sits in on 4 1/2 hour board meeting, speaking only once to point out that business judgement rule likely protects whatever decision is under consideration.


Yeah, but only the litigator got to bill *all* that time.



verdad?

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby bigben » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bigben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:lit = fun

corp = most boring job imaginable.

lit - 1L writing class for the rest of your life in your office

corp - baller doin' deals, cigars over golf, closing parties

But, what if I know SHIT about corps?

A law grad that doesn't know shit about practicing law? NO WAY

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 pm

bigben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bigben wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:lit = fun

corp = most boring job imaginable.

lit - 1L writing class for the rest of your life in your office

corp - baller doin' deals, cigars over golf, closing parties

But, what if I know SHIT about corps?

A law grad that doesn't know shit about practicing law? NO WAY



I mean about the industry or something.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby bigben » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I mean about the industry or something.

Oh yeah, the corps industry. Good point.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby sundance95 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:Above post about overgeneralization is tcr.

For example:

Litigator: Stares at computer screen for 9 hours looking on Westlaw for a case that doesn't exist.

Corp. Attorney: Puts on largely ineffective Powerpoint presentation at seminar regarding changes to area of law relevant to interests of clients and potential clients; sits in on 4 1/2 hour board meeting, speaking only once to point out that business judgement rule likely protects whatever decision is under consideration.


Yeah, but only the litigator got to bill *all* that time.



verdad?


"Review and analyze Costco Wholesale Corp. v. Super. Ct., 47 Cal. 4th 725, 219 P. 3d 736, 742 (Cal., 2009) re issues re procedure of challenges to claims of attorney-client privilege. Draft memorandum re same. Review and analyze Zurich Am. Ins. Co. v. Super. Ct., 155 Cal.App.4th 1485, 1498 (2007) re issues re same. Draft memorandum re same."

Rinse & repeat. Throw in some conferences. HTH.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby BunkMoreland » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 am

Corp: Drafting documents, negotiating terms on buyouts, investments, fund formation docs, M+A stuff, etc, closing parties, advising clients on implications of their actions, etc. Sounds like it would be a ton of fun actually.

NYAssociate
Posts: 713
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:32 am

.
Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:44 am

This is why bankruptcy > all. Send off the majority of the schleck work to the corporate or lit people. Focus time writing motion for reimbursement of fees. Win.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273588
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:45 am

ToTransferOrNot wrote:This is why bankruptcy > all. Send off the majority of the schleck work to the corporate or lit people. Focus time writing motion for reimbursement of fees. Win.



Bankruptcy seems cool since it combines corp and lit, but, IDK, dood. I feel like I would be very depressed working bankruptcy cases. So many lives ruined, you know?

ToTransferOrNot
Posts: 1928
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Re: Typical Litigator's Day v. Corp Attorney's Day

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:This is why bankruptcy > all. Send off the majority of the schleck work to the corporate or lit people. Focus time writing motion for reimbursement of fees. Win.



Bankruptcy seems cool since it combines corp and lit, but, IDK, dood. I feel like I would be very depressed working bankruptcy cases. So many lives ruined, you know?


BigCo Chapter 11 frequently results in saving jobs and so on that otherwise would have been vaporized. Yeah, you sometimes kill pension plans (see: American Airlines,) but it's still better than the pension having no money for payouts after the company explodes.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.