Kirkland v. Cravath v. Paul Weiss for litigation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Kirkland v. Cravath v. Paul Weiss for litigation

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Where would you go if you have offers from all three, if you were interested in litigation?

Anonymous User

Re: Kirkland v. Cravath v. Paul Weiss for litigation

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:30 pm

My preference:
1) Cravath
2) Kirkland
3) Paul Weiss

chuckwagon

Postby chuckwagon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Paul Weiss' litigation department is the best of the three (corporate, not so much). Cravath is radioactive right now - got hit much harder by the economy than either of the others. Your job isn't as safe there. Kirkland's the best all-around bet right now, but if you know you're going to do lit, probably a shade behind Paul Weiss.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:38 pm

The difference between Kirkland's free market system, and Cravath's forced rotation system, is huge. Don't underestimate that importance. Kirkland's system REALLY isn't for everyone.

DeweyWins

Postby DeweyWins » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:57 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:The difference between Kirkland's free market system, and Cravath's forced rotation system, is huge. Don't underestimate that importance. Kirkland's system REALLY isn't for everyone.

Would you mind elaborating?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:01 pm

The difference between Kirkland's free market system, and Cravath's forced rotation system, is huge. Don't underestimate that importance. Kirkland's system REALLY isn't for everyone.

Neither is Cravath's. Hence, the emphasis on fit.

jaen78

Postby jaen78 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:36 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:The difference between Kirkland's free market system, and Cravath's forced rotation system, is huge. Don't underestimate that importance. Kirkland's system REALLY isn't for everyone.

Actually, Kirkland's free market system is pretty common. Cravath's rigid and mandatory rotation system, on the other hand, is one-of-a-kind as far as I know.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:27 am

jaen78 wrote:

Actually, Kirkland's free market system is pretty common. Cravath's rigid and mandatory rotation system, on the other hand, is one-of-a-kind as far as I know.

Most firms that have the Kirkland system don't do it to the extent Kirkland does, though. If you have anything resembling a timid personality in re: hunting down the people you want to work with, and getting work from them, you're going to sink at Kirkland.

Similarly, Cravath's system is fairly unique, but many firms have a fairly structured partner rotation system that is, at least in large part, modeled on Cravath.

You basically have the two firms that are on the extreme end of the spectrum, so you need to make sure you're comfortable with that. TBF, I'm amazed that OP is having to make a choice without being fully educated on just how extreme Kirkland and Cravath take their systems.

Full disclosure: I'm going to be at K&E. I happen to like their system - and the extreme Free Market thing appealed to me. I would have been incredibly unhappy with a Cravath-style setup.

Return to “Legal Employment”