Firms Hiring non-citizens Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gh10

New

Firms Hiring non-citizens

Post by gh10 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:06 pm

I am trying to make the decision of attending law school in the US or Canada...

I prefer living in the United States as I attended undergrad here...

But I wonder if I will be at an advantage/disadvantage/indifferent being only a Canadian citizen and going to law school in the us...being hired by a us firm to work in the US?

Top law firms like Irell and Manella claim to embrace diversity by "creating an environment where attorneys of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, genders, religions, and sexual orientations can thrive based on merit and creativity."
Is this true?

bwv812

Silver

Re: Firms Hiring non-citizens

Post by bwv812 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:13 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm not a US citizen and my EIW went exactly as I imagine it would have if I was. Firms don't care as long as you can show that you're likely to stay in the US and work. They seemed far more concerned w making sure that I was committed to the US, at least for a while, than w any immigration stuff. As long as you can do that you're ok.

I also made a point of targeting firms with offices w a US practice in my home country, just in case. I think that helped.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not a US citizen and my EIW went exactly as I imagine it would have if I was. Firms don't care as long as you can show that you're likely to stay in the US and work. They seemed far more concerned w making sure that I was committed to the US, at least for a while, than w any immigration stuff. As long as you can do that you're ok.

I also made a point of targeting firms with offices w a US practice in my home country, just in case. I think that helped.
I asked a firm straight up if this is an issue to that firm. The interview was a foreign national as well and said that it's not an issue. If the firm wants you, then it will hire you (according to this guy at least).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not a US citizen and my EIW went exactly as I imagine it would have if I was. Firms don't care as long as you can show that you're likely to stay in the US and work. They seemed far more concerned w making sure that I was committed to the US, at least for a while, than w any immigration stuff. As long as you can do that you're ok.

I asked a firm straight up if this is an issue to that firm. The interview was a foreign national as well and said that it's not an issue. If the firm wants you, then it will hire you (according to this guy at least).
The same has been true for my international friends, in need of H1-B or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:12 am

I'm a Canadian at HYS. I think after a firm has decided it wants you, it will go all out to get you to join them. Plus if you prefer living in the US and plan to live here in the long run, the connections you'd make with professors (who in turn have connections that might be useful to you later), classmates, and colleagues (even if it's just from summer work) are invaluable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”