Keeping up morale

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LurkerNoMore

Re: Keeping up morale

Postby LurkerNoMore » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:06 am

notmyname wrote:Why is it that firms often take so long to respond after a callback? One of my callbacks was 4 weeks ago and the other 2 callbacks were 2 weeks ago, but I have no responses yet. The partners must have regular meetings. How long does it take to make a decision?

Yield.

Firms only want to have a certain number of SAs. Not everyone they offer a job to will take it. NALP says that people have 4 weeks to decide. Interviews don't all take place at the same time. Firms with large summer classes will usually make offers pretty quickly to their top choices. As they get acceptances and rejections they will get a sense of their yield and start making additional offers if they aren't hitting their numbers. Firms with small classes often want to get a sense of the entire applicant pool before they make offers. There can be a month or more between the time they interview their first and last candidate.

Finally, many firms don't send rejections at all until their class is filled, and definitely won't send rejections to their "maybes" until they are sure they won't need them.

Person

Postby Person » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:16 am

notmyname wrote:Why is it that firms often take so long to respond after a callback? One of my callbacks was 4 weeks ago and the other 2 callbacks were 2 weeks ago, but I have no responses yet. The partners must have regular meetings. How long does it take to make a decision?

Don't give up hope. I got an offer over two weeks after a callback. I only got four callbacks, and it is my only offer. I was starting to get pretty worried, particularly because I thought the firm was a reach for me. I had started plan B, though, and so should everyone until they have an offer.

As far as big law leaving the station is concerned, don't let this be your source of anxiety. (1) While the most straightforward and the easiest way to get into big law is through 2L OCI, it is not the only way. I interviewed with loads of attorneys who came from all sorts of places (including stuff like being public defenders) and ended up in what I consider to be the best big law jobs in the city. Harder? Yes. But don't get into the mindset of thinking this is your one and only shot or you will come off as desperate. (2) There are loads of great legal jobs, and money isn't everything. Most people leave big law, and while it is nice to pay off loans, it is probably not your long-term either way.

GOOD LUCK!
Last edited by Person on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:18 am

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:37 am

Does anyone else have the feeling of "What's the f***ing point of studying for classes until I get an offer and have something to work for?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else have the feeling of "What's the f***ing point of studying for classes until I get an offer and have something to work for?"

Yup, exactly right.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:32 pm

I've also noticed that people are much more vocal about talking about offers/cbs than they were about grades.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm considering taking October off to go drive around New England with my GF. She's finished her PhD and I don't give a shit about law school anymore. My mom doesn't think that's a good idea.

Discuss.

Return to “Legal Employment”