Keeping up morale

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bigben

Re: Keeping up morale

Postby bigben » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Keeping up morale

Give the men some whiskey.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:54 pm

I've got low morale and I have 13 callbacks. Having a bad personality sucks. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How did you all get so many callbacks in DC????

I'm the OP. To answer your question, I'm local. This, of course, adds to the anxiety, since it's easier to call back someone in D.C., rather than going through the expense of flying someone cross-country.

I'm local to DC and only had a couple of callbacks :x

DC doesn't give a rat's ass if you're local--they want top schools and top grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:09 pm

2 rejections out of 3 callbacks so far. last callback tomorrow. sad. scared.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:15 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
General Tso wrote:low morale with 6+ callbacks?

Callbacks aren't worth shit unless they result in offers. In fact, more callbacks = more rejctions = lower morale.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:36 am

I haven't even had a call back yet. First one is next week. My morale is so low right now that I wouldn't be surprised if I started begging for a job on my call back. This wait is killing me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:2 rejections out of 3 callbacks so far. last callback tomorrow. sad. scared.

3 CBS - 1 Rejection, 1 Pending, 1 Tomorrow. I feel ya. The pending one has already made a bunch of offers.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Callbacks aren't worth shit unless they result in offers. In fact, more callbacks = more rejctions = lower morale.

THIS.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:18 am

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

THIS.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 am

The worst part about the wait to hearing the news of other people getting offers.... from the firms you're waiting on.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:55 am

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

THIS.

aww...no callbacks for Double D? that's a shame...

chup

Postby chup » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:54 am

General Tso wrote:aww...no callbacks for Double D? that's a shame...

Mods, can we change Tso's username to Passive-Aggressive Prawns?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 pm

chup wrote:
General Tso wrote:aww...no callbacks for Double D? that's a shame...

I'd rather it addressed Tso's painfully obvious lack of a functional brain since he somehow deduced this from my general agreement with the idea that numerous CBs are worthless if they don't result in offers.

Word to the wise - or, I mean, moronic in this case - agreeing with a commentary doesn't imply that said commentary applies to you personally.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 pm

NYAssociate wrote:

Are those prawns or kung pao chicken? Hard to tell.

:lol: The credited question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:15 interviews and 25 mailings and 1 callback- top of class at T14. I know many people with 0 callbacks. I'd say OP's morale should be just fine.

You're doing something wrong. Unless top of class = above 50%

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was wondering how you all kept morale up during the OCI/recruiting process. I've been on six callbacks in the last three weeks -- three of those callbacks are over the two-week mark (I've already been dinged by one firm). I have a few more callbacks spread out over the next couple of weeks, but after reading about people on TLS/xoxo getting offers, etc., I'm finding it hard to keep up morale during all this radio silence. FWIW, my callbacks were/are mostly with DC firms (I don't know if this makes a difference).

Anyone else feel like this?

Think of the people with no callbacks and reflect on your good fortune.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

lolno.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

lolno.

I disagree. It hurts way worse to have been teased with a callback and still be shot down than to have just chalked it up to the randomness of a screener. Furthermore, not getting a CB doesn't necessarily close the door to working there in the future, since it was really only one person's decision. If you went on a CB and were rejected, it means multiple people did not like you and could not see you working there. In that case, the door is closed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Most demoralizing is getting some CBs and watching as the firms give out numerous offers before you even get to your CB. Every single one could potentially take a position away from you, and there's absolutely nothing you can do but wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Most demoralizing is getting some CBs and watching as the firms give out numerous offers before you even get to your CB. Every single one could potentially take a position away from you, and there's absolutely nothing you can do but wait.

You could have scheduled your CBs earlier (unless you're talking about ones from different schools). I had 9 CBs, and I did them all within a 2.5 weeks of getting the first one. Granted, this is easier when you're only focusing on 2 markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Most demoralizing is getting some CBs and watching as the firms give out numerous offers before you even get to your CB. Every single one could potentially take a position away from you, and there's absolutely nothing you can do but wait.

You could have scheduled your CBs earlier (unless you're talking about ones from different schools). I had 9 CBs, and I did them all within a 2.5 weeks of getting the first one. Granted, this is easier when you're only focusing on 2 markets.

I took the first slots available. I wasn't able to get a slot within 3 weeks for any of my CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:17 pm

5 callbacks down, 3 to go
0 offers, 0 dings, 5 still pending

The waiting is absolutely killing me. I have no fingernails left to bite.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:29 pm

wiseowl wrote:I disagree. It hurts way worse to have been teased with a callback and still be shot down than to have just chalked it up to the randomness of a screener. Furthermore, not getting a CB doesn't necessarily close the door to working there in the future, since it was really only one person's decision. If you went on a CB and were rejected, it means multiple people did not like you and could not see you working there. In that case, the door is closed.

The people who did screening interviews across the board and got shot down are hurting worse than you are. No callbacks from multiple screeners feels like you have a poisonous personality. No offers from callbacks just feels like not winning the playoffs. It sucks but at least you don't feel defective.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
wiseowl wrote:I disagree. It hurts way worse to have been teased with a callback and still be shot down than to have just chalked it up to the randomness of a screener. Furthermore, not getting a CB doesn't necessarily close the door to working there in the future, since it was really only one person's decision. If you went on a CB and were rejected, it means multiple people did not like you and could not see you working there. In that case, the door is closed.

The people who did screening interviews across the board and got shot down are hurting worse than you are. No callbacks from multiple screeners feels like you have a poisonous personality. No offers from callbacks just feels like not winning the playoffs. It sucks but at least you don't feel defective.

I guess another factor is preselect v. lottery. Screener rejections hurt more when they're preselects. There were definitely lottery-based interviews at my school that I had no business being in, on both sides of the scale. It's easier to shrug rejections/silence from those off.

Return to “Legal Employment”