Keeping up morale

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Keeping up morale

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:20 pm

I was wondering how you all kept morale up during the OCI/recruiting process. I've been on six callbacks in the last three weeks -- three of those callbacks are over the two-week mark (I've already been dinged by one firm). I have a few more callbacks spread out over the next couple of weeks, but after reading about people on TLS/xoxo getting offers, etc., I'm finding it hard to keep up morale during all this radio silence. FWIW, my callbacks were/are mostly with DC firms (I don't know if this makes a difference).

Anyone else feel like this?

pehaigllleises

Re: Keeping up morale

Postby pehaigllleises » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:24 pm

My morale is in the dumps too. When I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from the only firms that are a good fit for me, it's hard to muster a smile in my subsequent interviews. And I know there are people in even worse positions. You're not alone.

lawnerd

Postby lawnerd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:30 pm

How did you all get so many callbacks in DC????

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:41 pm

I didn't. Mine are in Chicago and then New York. I feel for anyone who really *had* to be in DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How did you all get so many callbacks in DC????

I'm the OP. To answer your question, I'm local. This, of course, adds to the anxiety, since it's easier to call back someone in D.C., rather than going through the expense of flying someone cross-country.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How did you all get so many callbacks in DC????

I'm the OP. To answer your question, I'm local. This, of course, adds to the anxiety, since it's easier to call back someone in D.C., rather than going through the expense of flying someone cross-country.

I'm local to DC and only had a couple of callbacks :x

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:01 pm

15 interviews and 25 mailings and 1 callback- top of class at T14. I know many people with 0 callbacks. I'd say OP's morale should be just fine.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:05 pm

.....define "top of class"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Top 10% at T2 here. 9 screenings, 6 cbs (3 done so far), no offers (but also no dings). The waiting is the worst, and it is hard to keep one's ego/morale intact. We just gotta keep plugging...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% at T2 here. 9 screenings, 6 cbs (3 done so far), no offers (but also no dings). The waiting is the worst, and it is hard to keep one's ego/morale intact. We just gotta keep plugging...

Are you talking about the DC market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm having trouble keeping focused on classwork. It just feels like so much of my time over the last 2 years has been spent in phases where I work towards one future event (LSAT, law school apps, first and second semester exams, now EIP/job search) and the downtime in between say, applying to law school and waiting to hear back I usually can't concentrate on anything else. And it will be even if I don't get an offer and the job search process continues closer to finals.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:21 pm

Things are bad of course and good luck to everyone but at least you are not like the kid I work with who takes out 24k a year for 4 years to go to Devry.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:23 pm

low morale with 6+ callbacks?

omg

Postby omg » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Don't lose hope!

I'm no authority, but I imagine that lots of people who got fast offers are going to be making final decisions within the next two weeks--I know that's what several people at my school are planning. All of the offers they decline are going to go to people who are currently on hold, so even if you are on hold at several firms, there's definitely still a great chance that you'll get some offers.

iceman12354

Postby iceman12354 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:52 pm

I didn't receive my V100 offer last year until the last week in October. Many in my class had the same experience. It ain't over till it's over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm having trouble keeping focused on classwork. It just feels like so much of my time over the last 2 years has been spent in phases where I work towards one future event (LSAT, law school apps, first and second semester exams, now EIP/job search) and the downtime in between say, applying to law school and waiting to hear back I usually can't concentrate on anything else. And it will be even if I don't get an offer and the job search process continues closer to finals.

+1, except this is a lot worse for me than applying to law school, because there are no second chances here.

So. much. stress.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:57 pm

iceman12354 wrote:I didn't receive my V100 offer last year until the last week in October. Many in my class had the same experience. It ain't over till it's over.

thanks for this. how long after the cb was that? did you check in with the firm/get updates from them in between?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:07 pm

No rejection letters but also, no CBs either. I know some people have gotten letters and I'm sure people have gotten CBs at my school. Any hope for me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No rejection letters but also, no CBs either. I know some people have gotten letters and I'm sure people have gotten CBs at my school. Any hope for me?

I haven't heard either way from over 1/3rd of my screening interviews. Other people have gotten rejections/CBs and I've gotten news from the other 2/3rds both ways. I remember reading that some firms last year had bad estimates for yield as they all chased top candidates and I've also seen some discussion of the new NALP rule. Anyone else think there might actually be a hold category this year, and more importantly whether this could result in CBs?

Gotta keep up morale somehow...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm having trouble keeping focused on classwork. It just feels like so much of my time over the last 2 years has been spent in phases where I work towards one future event (LSAT, law school apps, first and second semester exams, now EIP/job search) and the downtime in between say, applying to law school and waiting to hear back I usually can't concentrate on anything else. And it will be even if I don't get an offer and the job search process continues closer to finals.

+1, except this is a lot worse for me than applying to law school, because there are no second chances here.

So. much. stress.

+1 to that, and i'll also second that the mental paralysis may be the worst part. I have SO MUCH WORK TO DO (journal, note, class work, RA work for professor...) and i simply cannot make myself do it. it's becoming a real GD liability. F this process. F it right in its ear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No rejection letters but also, no CBs either. I know some people have gotten letters and I'm sure people have gotten CBs at my school. Any hope for me?

I haven't heard either way from over 1/3rd of my screening interviews. Other people have gotten rejections/CBs and I've gotten news from the other 2/3rds both ways. I remember reading that some firms last year had bad estimates for yield as they all chased top candidates and I've also seen some discussion of the new NALP rule. Anyone else think there might actually be a hold category this year, and more importantly whether this could result in CBs?

Gotta keep up morale somehow...

Is there any way to determine if in fact you are on hold or is it merely speculative based on the fact that others have received some form of notification?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So. much. stress.

+1 to that, and i'll also second that the mental paralysis may be the worst part. I have SO MUCH WORK TO DO (journal, note, class work, RA work for professor...) and i simply cannot make myself do it. it's becoming a real GD liability. F this process. F it right in its ear.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So. much. stress.

TMFCR. FML.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:41 pm

I completely identify with this description of our recent lives, and my inability to cope with the downtime. I guess its a personality flaw more than anything else, and is an unhealthy way to live life.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:45 pm

General Tso wrote:low morale with 6+ callbacks?

Return to “Legal Employment”