Debevoise vs. Gibson Dunn

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which Firm

Debevoise
61%
Gibson Dunn
39%

Total votes: 28

Anonymous User

Debevoise vs. Gibson Dunn

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Both New York offices.

Which would you choose and why?

I'm leaning transactional, but have not completely ruled out litigation. I know Debevoise is traditionally thought to have a better transactional practice, but I liked the people/culture/atmosphere at Gibson (liked it at Debevoise too, just not quite as much).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Anonymous User

Re: Debevoise vs. Gibson Dunn

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:53 am

Bump for the daytime crowd.

Thanks for the votes so far, but would love explanations if anyone cares to give them.

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:12 am

Debevoise. Gibson's NY office is substantially weaker than Debevoise's in pretty much every respect.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:19 am

gibson. go where you felt the best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:gibson. go where you felt the best.

+1. People on here will only give you advice based on what's ranked higher. Rankings do not equal happiness, especially when you already feel that one is a better fit. Go with what's right for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:25 am

edcrane wrote:Debevoise. Gibson's NY office is substantially weaker than Debevoise's in pretty much every respect.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:gibson. go where you felt the best.

+1. People on here will only give you advice based on what's ranked higher. Rankings do not equal happiness, especially when you already feel that one is a better fit. Go with what's right for you.

This is essentially my dilemma. I'm not a pure rankings whore, but at some point, differences in prestige, clients, visibility of deals, etc. affect exit opportunities, which I care about.

Basically, I'm wondering whether any difference in exit options (which I realize is minor) outweighs preference in terms of fit (which is also probably minor).

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 am

Have done second visits and/or attended firm dinners?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:50 am

edcrane wrote:Have done second visits and/or attended firm dinners?

Not yet - this week and next week.

Also have calls set up with a couple of friends who are 2nd/3rd years at other firms to see what they've heard from their friends working at these places.

Postby 270910 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:40 am

edcrane wrote:Debevoise. Gibson's NY office is substantially weaker than Debevoise's in pretty much every respect.

+1.

If you really liked Gibson that much more, go there. Yaaay. But if you're asking the internet, we can only tell you from the view of the firm's reputations and reported information, not what you personally felt like there, so I don't know what other answer you would expect. Unless you really like Gibson or have a very strong draw to some unique practice, Deb NY is a no brainer over Gibson NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:56 pm

disco_barred wrote:

+1.

If you really liked Gibson that much more, go there. Yaaay. But if you're asking the internet, we can only tell you from the view of the firm's reputations and reported information, not what you personally felt like there, so I don't know what other answer you would expect. Unless you really like Gibson or have a very strong draw to some unique practice, Deb NY is a no brainer over Gibson NY.

Fair enough. I guess what I'm trying to get at is how big a practical difference the difference in reputations make, but that's probably a very hard question to answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:22 am

Last bump, in case anyone has any more comments.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:25 am

Gibson in New York is not particularly good at anything. I don't quite understand why the office gets so much play.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson in New York is not particularly good at anything. I don't quite understand why the office gets so much play.

+1

Return to “Legal Employment”