first (and only) callback...any advice welcome

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

first (and only) callback...any advice welcome

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 pm

I have my first (and only) callback on Wednesday, so I'm obviously extremely nervous. While I don't have very high expectations for getting a biglaw job through oci ITE with my grades, I obviously want to do as well as I possibly can and give it my best shot.

For anyone who has gone through callbacks already, what is the experience like? I'm sure it probably differs by the firm, but I would appreciate any words of wisdom!

Mine starts at 10:30 and includes a lunch--but that's all the information I have so far.

Anonymous User

Re: first (and only) callback...any advice welcome

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:18 pm

Lunch matters -- in fact, every interaction with every person, recruiter, secretary, etc., all matter.

But, don't stress out -- just be yourself and be friendly. A lot of people try to put up a different kind of image because they think it's expected or they're insecure of how they project themselves. It just makes things worse. Also, in all your comments, be as close to 100% positive as possible. If you find yourself phrasing something in a negative way, pause, and try to rephrase it. Also, speak carefully and try to prevent yourself from saying "um" or "like" or other filler words.

Finally, be prepared to have an entire 20-30 minute block have to be filled by you asking questions. Think of everything you'd like to know about specifically re: the firm, as well as preparing some other questions you can fill time with (what is your day to day like). But you can be spontaneous too -- feel free to ask them about their work. They know that we learn very little of practical worth in law school... so if they discuss some practice you don't know much about, ask them questions (if you know something about it, try to connect what you've been learning, but there's no expectation about it). Lawyers love to talk and they especially love to talk about themselves. Treat it as a learning opportunity. And, good luck.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:26 pm

Is it local? If not, they obviously like you well enough to spend the money to fly you out there. You need to be confident. You got past the screening interview, so they are at least ok with your grades. Now you just need to be the most likable son-of-a-bitch they have ever seen.

If it is local, then you might be SOL. Sometimes the firms will extend some local callbacks (depending on the city) just to save face with their local ties. Although even if this is you, you still need to go in with confidence.

Also, mind if I ask where the callback is?

PS-Oh, and Lunch DEFINITELY matters. I would say it is possibly the most important of the interviews at some firms. Although don't let that spook you. The point is to see if you can relax and have fun professionally. If you stay in professional interview mode because you know it matters, that will end badly for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks for your replies! Yes, the interview is local.

In terms of asking questions---and I've come across this issue in other past interviews---is it generally normal practice to pose the same questions to multiple interviewers (such as general information about the firm)? While I would obviously try to have some specific questions for the particular interviewer based on his/her practice area and the way the conversation is going, there are also only so many questions one can come up with to fill multiple 20-30 minute slots of question-asking time

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Don't tell them how nervous you are. I made that mistake. Twice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for your replies! Yes, the interview is local.

In terms of asking questions---and I've come across this issue in other past interviews---is it generally normal practice to pose the same questions to multiple interviewers (such as general information about the firm)? While I would obviously try to have some specific questions for the particular interviewer based on his/her practice area and the way the conversation is going, there are also only so many questions one can come up with to fill multiple 20-30 minute slots of question-asking time

I think that's fine as long as it's a question that can be answered differently.

What I mean by that is it's possible the interviewers will compare notes. If you asked a question like "how big is the litigation department" four times, you look like an idiot. If you ask a question like "what do you feel are the downsides of X staffing system" four times, you may come across as legitimately just wanting to get different perspectives.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:48 pm

I'm in a similar boat to you, with only two callbacks thus far. In fact, my interview format for the CB I've been to was very similar as well, starting at ten and including lunch. I know it is easier said than done, but relax as much as possible, be confident, and just allow yourself to connect with your interviewers (which is not the same thing as forcing it). Lunch was my favorite part, our lunch ran more than two hours and I had a great time. There are certain things beyond your control, and I imagine you get that, so just let loose.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Definitely have a good, rehearsed answer ready for "Why firm X". Every single callback interviewer I have had at every firm has asked this, and they love when you have a thorough, detailed answer that really shows your interest.

And be sure to stay energized -- 4 or 5 thirty minute interviews can be draining, so be sure that you stay peppy and enthusiastic throughout.

Remember to stay relaxed, be yourself, be confident, and you should be fine. Good luck! Hope it works out for you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:14 am

1. Seem excited about the firm throughout every interview (its hard, be keep reminding yourself to sit up straight and be engaged)
2. Be confident
3. Don't be arrogant
4. Don't be negative
5. Show them what a nice guy you are

And as others have noted, be prepared to ask a lot of questions - about the firm, your practice area, what associate life is like, why they picked their firm, what buisness has been like, what fills their day to day, if they've been able to direct their career...They will mostly not ask you anything (at least, not much, maybe 25% of the interview is an actual "interview") - its all about asking them questions. I've found all my CBs to mostly be about showing a real interest in the firm and that you're a normal person they'd like to work with. And lunch is definitely important.

littlebit

Postby littlebit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Get a good nights sleep, be on time, make sure you are dressed/groomed appropriately and be positive. Good luck!

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr. tumnus

Postby mr. tumnus » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Advice: Don't get your hopes up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Advice: Don't get your hopes up.

why? most callback to offer rates aren't that low.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Get a lot of sleep the preceding week. The night before, stay up most of the night having sex. You'll be FRESH AND EASY

Return to “Legal Employment”