Email Thank You's to call back interviewers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dougroberts

Bronze

Re: Email Thank You's to call back interviewers?

Post by dougroberts » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Thank you notes are generally appropriate sans typos, at least in my geographic area.

I think some people don't send thank you notes because either their credentials are top-notch and so they don't really need any additional boost that a thank you might provide. Or, they are trying to mislead you so that you don't send a thank you note.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:14 pm

I was under the impression they were expected everywhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:18 pm

dresden doll wrote:I was under the impression they were expected everywhere.

Definitely not NYC.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Definitely not NYC.
Is there a downside to sending them after interviewing with NYC anyway? Not that it matters much, since I already sent mine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:21 pm

I posted this in an earlier thread:

"Send thank you e-mails. I cannot stress this enough. I used to work at a V50 as a paralegal, and was close friends with a couple of people in recruiting. When they're getting thank you's from every other candidate but you, you stick out like a sore thumb."

I've sent thank-yous to all of my callback interviewers, and have received responses from at least one attorney per firm. This is all in the New York market. I have poor-ish grades and no law review, but am sitting on several offers right now, including in the V-20. I definitely credit part of that to establishing and continuing a rapport with my interviewers.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:22 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Definitely not NYC.
Is there a downside to sending them after interviewing with NYC anyway? Not that it matters much, since I already sent mine.

I doubt it. I just know that some people find them annoying. I always sent mine because I thought them polite to do (despite the fact that many NYC attorneys don't ever want to see them).

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 pm

If they don't want to see them they can glean from the subject line it's a thank you and delete.

The people telling you not to send them might be right though. Typos do hurt you and the email might not help much. But other than typos I doubt it hurts to be polite and gracious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:57 pm

If the only downside is potential typos or grammar issues, then exercise the same level of care you've used throughout the OCI process and do a spell/grammar check. It's only three lines. This shouldn't hold you back from thanking a potential member of the hiring committee for their time.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:46 pm

It's their job to meet with us, so not sure why thanks are considered "polite," but to each their own. Personally, I think that if you have the gut feeling that someone would like a follow-up email (you know that kind of "networking" type person who loves all that Guerilla Guide type stuff) or you genuinely want to follow up with someone because you like them as a potential contact, then do it. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we have enough data now to determine that it doesn't make a difference.

Also, one of my thank you emails (to someone I really liked) had a glaring typo. Apparently wasn't disqualifying. Again, it probably helps to be selective and targeted in email so that sort of thing is overlooked (versus treating it as some kind of formal document, if that makes any sense).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think the best advice is go with what you feel. If it's a huge chore to write 3 or 4 sentences and you don't see the point (I'm this way) don't bother. If it's not a big deal, than make sure everything is proofread before you send it out. Middle ground might be to just send ones to attorneys who you had a great conversation with.
Our CSO told us that if we're going to send them to a firm, we have to send them to every person we met with, including the people at lunch and the recruiting coordinator. I think this is for a pretty obvious reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:57 am

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think the best advice is go with what you feel. If it's a huge chore to write 3 or 4 sentences and you don't see the point (I'm this way) don't bother. If it's not a big deal, than make sure everything is proofread before you send it out. Middle ground might be to just send ones to attorneys who you had a great conversation with.
Our CSO told us that if we're going to send them to a firm, we have to send them to every person we met with, including the people at lunch and the recruiting coordinator. I think this is for a pretty obvious reason.
Just for the sake of presenting all sides to people seeking advice -- I didn't send them to everyone, and it was fine. If they're targeted notes that are following up on conversations, then it's fine. I suppose if you send generic thank you notes to only certain people, that would be problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:45 am

My CDO, BU, advises sending one targeted thank you to an interviewer, but asking him to thank each of your other interviewers in the first line. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:My CDO, BU, advises sending one targeted thank you to an interviewer, but asking him to thank each of your other interviewers in the first line. Any thoughts?
Hiring partners at UVA explicitly called that a bad idea, since it comes across as (at least a request of) imposing a burdening the person you send the thank you to.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:20 am

the career services office at my school stopped short of explicitly telling me not to send them, but they definitely discouraged me from doing so. fwiw, i'm at a big ny school (c/n) and applying to all local firms, so while it might be discouraged here, my experience living and working in other parts of the country (midwest & especially the south) makes me think it's advisable to send a thank you note if interviewing with firms in those regions. for ny firms it's probably a bit annoying or smarmy though, and i don't know anyone who's actually sending them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 am

what i find amazing is that the last 3 posts citing their CDOs as their sources, completely diverge on the issue. even those who are supposed to know this stuff cant seem to agree.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”