Help me decide

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What would you pick if you were me

Davis Polk
15%
Simpson Thacher
11%
Debevoise
30%
Paul Weiss
11%
Weil Gotshal
33%

Total votes: 27

Anonymous User

Help me decide

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Looking at NY firms only, and these are my front-runners. Offers at 3 of them so far, and callbacks at the other two just happened this past Friday so we'll see

Interested primarily in litigation, but will definitely try out transactional work this summer to make sure. So, I'd like a firm that is balanced in its practice areas, and not overly corp- or lit-slanted.
Con Davis, Simpson, Paul Weiss.
Pro Weil, Debevoise)

Interested in soft IP
Con Davis and Simpson.
Pro Debevoise, Paul Weiss, and Weil).

Interested in actually being friends with my co-workers, so I'm drawn to the fratty rep of Weil.
Con Davis and Simpson, which had particularly cold, formal atmospheres when I visited for callbacks.

All are lockstep, so no diff there.

All have pretty low "equity partner as a % of all lawyers" numbers: Davis is 25%, Weil is 15%, Simpson is 22%, Paul Weiss is 18%, and Debevoise is 21%, so no huge diff there.

Seems like all would have pretty decent exit options since they're in the V15.

Pretty lucky position to be in, but any words of advice or things that I should think about more would be appreciated. Thanks TLS

edited to fix stats
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

yellowjacket2012

Re: Help me decide

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:43 pm

From what you say, Weil sounds like a good fit for you, while I congratulate you on all this success - I'm sorry you had to do two callbacks in one day - that must have sucked. I'm presuming you already did this - but just browse through Vault associate reviews/rants, take that with a grain of salt, but that's a good way to kill some time, and maybe it'll give you a feel for the people.

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Debevoise seems like the right answer here.

Weil is probably a bad choice given their history of no-offering and the ton of deferred associates that they have in queue.

PW isn't as well balanced between lit and corporate practices. (Edit: I have no idea why you conned Davis here, as it has pretty strong lit and corporate practices.)

And you didn't like the people at DPW or Simpson.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 pm

edcrane wrote:Debevoise seems like the right answer here.

Weil is probably a bad choice given their history of no-offering and the ton of deferred associates that they have in queue.

PW isn't as well balanced between lit and corporate practices. (Edit: I have no idea why you conned Davis here, as it has pretty strong lit and corporate practices.)

OP here. Conned DPW on the balanced practice concept because there are around 300 people in corporate and 200 in litigation. I know that they are also strong in litigation, but the vibe I got while there was that their corporate work was their bedrock and their litigation practice was not so much in the spotlight. I just want a firm that is equally proud of each side without one feeling like mere support for the other. However, I'll edit my original thoughts to say slight con. :)

Additionally, can you point me to stats for Weil NYC beyond the 2010 summer class (20 SA's, 20 offers) and the 2009 summer class (95 SA's, only 86 offers)? Thanks so much for your input!

Postby 270910 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
edcrane wrote:Debevoise seems like the right answer here.

OP here. Conned DPW on the balanced practice concept because there are around 300 people in corporate and 200 in litigation. I know that they are also strong in litigation, but the vibe I got while there was that their corporate work was their bedrock and their litigation practice was not so much in the spotlight. I just want a firm that is equally proud of each side without one feeling like mere support for the other. However, I'll edit my original thoughts to say slight con. :)

Additionally, can you point me to stats for Weil NYC beyond the 2010 summer class (20 SA's, 20 offers) and the 2009 summer class (95 SA's, only 86 offers)? Thanks so much for your input!

Chambers & Partners Band 1: The Elite - General Commercial Litigation in NYC:
Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP

Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP

Debevoise, Simpson, and Weil are "band 2"

Obviously these rankings say little about what you do on the ground, but looking at NALP headcount is a bad metric to use for making this judgment. DPW is a "good at everything" firm. And most practitioners I have spoken to take Chambers pretty seriously, or at least agree it reflects widely held industry perceptions.

That being said, clicking with people is really important, and all of the firms on your list are incredible and in many respects interchangeable. I'd follow your gut. Possibly do a second visit?

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Additionally, can you point me to stats for Weil NYC beyond the 2010 summer class (20 SA's, 20 offers) and the 2009 summer class (95 SA's, only 86 offers)? Thanks so much for your input!

There used to be a way to get the numbers from prior years by manually editing the URL used for the direct link to a given firm's NALP profile, but I can't seem to get it to work now. No matter. I suspect that in the boom years Weil had close to a 100% offer rate. I would, however, be deeply concerned about Weil's firm-wide offer rate for 2009 (< 80%). For the same year, all of the other firms you're looking at had offer rates that were well above 90%. Given the often catastrophic consequences of getting no-offered, I'd say this factor weighs heavily against Weil.

I also don't see much upside to choosing Weil. If you hated everyone at all the other firms and were dead set on bankruptcy, Weil might make sense. But it doesn't seem like a great choice for your stated interests.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:53 am

OP here, just wanted to say thanks to all. After NYAssociate's comment, I realized that I have been looking at partner-to-associate ratios, not equity partner-to-assoc ratios. Original post corrected using AmLaw 200's 2010 stats

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:55 am

Beware Weil. They are bloated right now, for a number of reasons (for ex: what is going to happen to 50% of the restructuring group when Lehman is done? Yeah.)

I looked at applying there when I was fishing around during 3L OCI, and decided against it. It's a good firm, but not as good as some of your other options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:37 am

1. Wait until you actually have all of the offers.

2. Go back for seconds.

3. Talk to 3Ls who summered there last year.

4. Don't do this: --LinkRemoved--

Return to “Legal Employment”