any silicon valley IP offers from THESE places?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

any silicon valley IP offers from THESE places?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Orrick SV
Weil Redwood Shores
MoFo SF
Morgan Lewis Palo Alto
Goodwin Procter Palo Alto

Please resist the temptation to tell me about your offers from places that are not those....

Anonymous User

Re: any silicon valley IP offers from THESE places?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:20 pm

bump; morgan lewis said they would tell me at end of this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:15 pm

final bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:53 pm

When did you interview with morgan lewis? Just trying to know the turn around time.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:45 pm

Interviewed with Morgan Lewis for CB early last week. Have not heard anything yet. I am not holding my breath but I will probably bother them if I don't hear from them by next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you interview with morgan lewis? Just trying to know the turn around time.

Thanks!

hi friend, 2 week+ time-lag between callback and offer, they seem slow, I wouldn't worry.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Can confirm Orrick SV (~2 weeks post-CB)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Can confirm Weil.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Did anyone interview with MLB PA's IP lit dept. a few weeks ago?
I was one of the few candidates that they interviewed... trying to see if they made offers yet or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:12 pm

I asked this in the other thread but maybe someone here can give me a more certain or specific answer:
Do you guys know how the IP boutique payscale matches up with the biglaw payscale at both associate and partner level?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:I asked this in the other thread but maybe someone here can give me a more certain or specific answer:
Do you guys know how the IP boutique payscale matches up with the biglaw payscale at both associate and partner level?

Excellent question. For prosecution (at least in DC), I think you're looking at 145k. No clue for litigation boutiques.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I asked this in the other thread but maybe someone here can give me a more certain or specific answer:

I know some pay the same lockstep associate pay scale as the big GP firms. Partner compensation, however, can differ due to a variety of factors such as revenue that year, the size of the firm, the number of partners, what percentage of the business a partner brings in goes directly to that partner, whether the firm aggregates money into a "partnership compensation" pool to be distributed at a certain time, whether there are tiers of partners, etc.

Here's a solid graphic that should help to answer some of your questions:

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 2494456077

Look to see how your favorite IP boutique stacks up against the GP firms. You'll find that some do surprisingly well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:

I know some pay the same lockstep associate pay scale as the big GP firms. Partner compensation, however, can differ due to a variety of factors such as revenue that year, the size of the firm, the number of partners, what percentage of the business a partner brings in goes directly to that partner, whether the firm aggregates money into a "partnership compensation" pool to be distributed at a certain time, whether there are tiers of partners, etc.

Here's a solid graphic that should help to answer some of your questions:

http://www.law.com/jsp/tal/PubArticleTA ... 2494456077

Look to see how your favorite IP boutique stacks up against the GP firms. You'll find that some do surprisingly well.

That's pretty useful. But not a ton of boutiques make the AMLaw200. I've been trying to figure out PPP for non-AMLaw200 IP Boutiques in the DC area for quite a while. Do you happen to know of any resources that would help?

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Hm, then not really.

Unfortunately, compensation questions are tricky and often cannot really be addressed until after you've got an offer in hand. Until that point, the best strategy is to cast a wide net, grab all the screeners/CBs as you can, then sort out your decisionmaking process after you've got offers in hand. With an offer, you hold the cards. I'd suggest then contacting the recruiting coordinator and requesting to be set up with associates for informal chats. At that point, the firm wants you, and will often connect you with associates more willing to give you candid advice, re anything salary-related. Again, re partner compensation, often associates don't even know how that's broken-out. Moreover, I don't think it's an incredibly useful metric for a prospective associate, since it's nearly impossible to plan your career trajectory 10 years out with any substantial degree of certainty.

tl;dr:

(1) focus on aggregating offers
(2) with offers in hand, inquire about associate compensation (if you're not cool with doing so earlier...I didn't, some do, it's a judgment call, etc.)
(3) you probably won't be able to divine much re partnership compensation, nor should you really be that worried about it at this point

GL!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:51 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:Hm, then not really.

Unfortunately, compensation questions are tricky and often cannot really be addressed until after you've got an offer in hand. Until that point, the best strategy is to cast a wide net, grab all the screeners/CBs as you can, then sort out your decisionmaking process after you've got offers in hand. With an offer, you hold the cards. I'd suggest then contacting the recruiting coordinator and requesting to be set up with associates for informal chats. At that point, the firm wants you, and will often connect you with associates more willing to give you candid advice, re anything salary-related. Again, re partner compensation, often associates don't even know how that's broken-out. Moreover, I don't think it's an incredibly useful metric for a prospective associate, since it's nearly impossible to plan your career trajectory 10 years out with any substantial degree of certainty.

tl;dr:

(1) focus on aggregating offers
(2) with offers in hand, inquire about associate compensation (if you're not cool with doing so earlier...I didn't, some do, it's a judgment call, etc.)
(3) you probably won't be able to divine much re partnership compensation, nor should you really be that worried about it at this point

GL!

Dude - great strategy. I think you completely nailed it. Sorry for the thread derail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Any word on Morgan Lewis Palo Alto?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on Morgan Lewis Palo Alto?

I've noticed that their Palo Alto office has been recruiting into the spring over the last 2 or 3 years. They seem to have some difficulty recruiting. I've heard that it's not a very pleasant office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I've noticed that their Palo Alto office has been recruiting into the spring over the last 2 or 3 years. They seem to have some difficulty recruiting. I've heard that it's not a very pleasant office.

Oh no way? That's really interesting to hear. Which department are you referring to? IP or L&E?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Oh no way? That's really interesting to hear. Which department are you referring to? IP or L&E?

IP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

IP

I see. I actually got a pretty good vibe from all my interviewers. However, they were very concerned with my lack of sci/tech background for the office's IP litigation group. We'll see what happens.

Does anyone know if the office has extended offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:56 pm

Does anyone when that Office's Hiring Committee meets...?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Speaking of MLB does anyone know if they're paying $160K for first years in the PA office now? Why did people find it unpleasant in the PA office? I thought everyone was friendly when I interviewed (as a 3L), but still waiting to hear back too so I'm interested in knowing what the vibe there is really like. Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Speaking of MLB does anyone know if they're paying $160K for first years in the PA office now? Why did people find it unpleasant in the PA office? I thought everyone was friendly when I interviewed (as a 3L), but still waiting to hear back too so I'm interested in knowing what the vibe there is really like. Thanks

Yes, MLB PA pays first year associates $160K.

I talked to someone who works at MLB SF, and she told me the PA office is much more serious and stern, possibly because of its intense focus on patent litigation. I mean, I was surprised to hear MLB PA didn't get the acceptances it needed for next year's SA class, so it has to be something that is turning people away...?

When was your interview? Do you know if the Hiring Committee met yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Speaking of MLB does anyone know if they're paying $160K for first years in the PA office now? Why did people find it unpleasant in the PA office? I thought everyone was friendly when I interviewed (as a 3L), but still waiting to hear back too so I'm interested in knowing what the vibe there is really like. Thanks

I talked to someone who works at MLB SF, and she told me the PA office is much more serious and stern, possibly because of its intense focus on patent litigation. I mean, I was surprised to hear MLB PA didn't get the acceptances it needed for next year's SA class, so it has to be something that is turning people away...?

*bump*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Last week but that was for full time not a SA position. Not sure when the HC meets but it could be less frequently after the big OCI rush in the late summer...

Return to “Legal Employment”