how many summer associate positions are there, nationwide?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IAFG

Re: how many summer associate positions are there, nationwide?

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:25 am

FlanAl wrote:https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/cornell.edu/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjvrvK3gHYfLdGIyWF9MUkFIc3BwSmYzZ180b0RXMHc&gid=1

5692 SA positions for 2011 in the major and majorish markets. not too shabby. if these spreadsheets are super whack and someone wants to fill me in that would be great.

Looks like you might possibly be double-counting? I see in NY you have a "multi-office form" and then a Skadden entry in Chicago, too.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:34 am

FlanAl wrote:https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/cornell.edu/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjvrvK3gHYfLdGIyWF9MUkFIc3BwSmYzZ180b0RXMHc&gid=1

5692 SA positions for 2011 in the major and majorish markets. not too shabby. if these spreadsheets are super whack and someone wants to fill me in that would be great.

FWIW. There are 4434 people graduating from T14 school this year. God I wish it was that easy.

headandshoulderos

Postby headandshoulderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 am

45k law school grads

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:43 am

PA & GA are good for another like 100 SAs each. I get the sense that smaller cities that had been pretty stagnant have resumed some hiring in places like WI, MI, OH... I think things were definitely better for our class.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:57 am

IAFG wrote:

Looks like you might possibly be double-counting? I see in NY you have a "multi-office form" and then a Skadden entry in Chicago, too.

i didn't make these spreadsheets I just found them from another thread, and was hoping to see how much cred they had. Double counting obviously doesn't help but looking at the numbers from the NY SA numbers thread the numbers here seem accurate. With no listings from places that obviously have some firms that pay market I think it is probably closer to 6k nationwide. Considering that 2012 will probably be better and that there are only 4434 people in the t14 I'm beginning to feel a lot less pessimistic. If we only include the markets listed but still include entire class sizes down to WUSTL there is almost a big law SA spot for each of these students. I recognize that this isn't exactly how the hiring works but this is a much rosier picture than I would have expected.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:19 am

I think someone counted up all the summer associate positions in Chicago once. Results were shocking. I think there were like over 1k spots in 07 and less than 300 spots in 10 or something.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:32 am

you've got IL SA's on the spreadsheet. 2010 was 309, 2011 is 459. Pretty solid increase but obviously not 1,000 spots

Return to “Legal Employment”