T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe this sounds mean, but I guess I am going to have to question how well you and your friends do socially (and therefore your interview skills). You're all friends; you might not be the best judge of your collective social skills.

Either way, I think OP is a bigger anomaly than someone below median with a handful of callbacks at C or N. I still haven't talked to anyone with no callbacks, but maybe my friend group is a bit skewed as well. I'm also curious to know if this is NYU or CLS. I have an offer wayyy out of my grade range, and I know there's no way I would have gotten it if I weren't at CN, given my shit GPA. So I'll represent the other position, whose incredibly thankful I came to my school, otherwise I would have been shit up a creek.


Hahaha I wouldn't come on a website to anonymously brag to random people about how well I do socially. I know there isn't any way to prove this, but making many friends and finding attractive people to date has never been a problem for me. I promise I'm not a weirdo, and by the time you're in your mid 20s I'd imagine you at least have some vague idea that people don't generally respond well to you.

Maybe I don't get the aspects of my background out like I should in an interview or something, but again I got good feedback on it so I'm not sure. I feel like I'm just kind of in this cloudy, bullshitty world right now where it's hard to know why things have happened this way.


Fair enough. And I guess you run into the disconnect between being someone who is outwardly social and portraying yourself that way for 20 minutes. (I think a lot of our classmates can pretend to be normal for 20 minutes; either that, or they all have kickass grades, because there sure are a lot of train wrecks with quality callback numbers.) That's why I love the lunch part of the callback; I think they're the great equalizer, since a lot of law school students can't hide their freak flag for that long.

Since I'm sure your already mass-mailing, maybe go talk to Career Services and see what they think. Apparently they work hard for students with no call-backs, since every 2L without a job makes them look bad. Good luck, have fun, and swallow.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby bwv812 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:59 pm

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dude, I have about the same grades (top quarter/thirdish) at a worse school (lower T14) and managed to get nearly 20 callbacks. Not URM, not Law Review. And I expressed interest in litigation and targeted litigation firms, FWIW.

I'm willing to be the barn that your lack of success has more to do with your interviewing ability than with anything else. Columbia and NYU are still great bets for over 50% of the people attending them. And people in the bottom half are still probably getting BigLaw offers if they aren't as dorky/aspie as the average T14 law student.


Thanks, ass. My interviewing ability hasn't held me back before, and I do very well socially. Don't go randomly speculating without knowing me. A good number of my friends are in the same position as I am. I targeted firms I thought fit my goals well and the interviews usually went well with a lot of joking around and good conversation. Don't know what happened. Congratulations on your callbacks.


This could have been a potential issue. It's not all about you and your goals. Where is the firm trying to expand and why would you better fit for that than your peers, as demonstrated by your resume and rapport-building skills (which you insist weren't the problem.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:14 pm

I'm at a T30, top 5-10%, LR applying to NYC. Only a handful of firms with NY offices came to OCI, but managed 10 CB's (7 V50 including two V5) through a combo of OCI, job fairs, and email applications. One V5 CB came without a screening interview and one firm i got a CB at after reapplying when i didn't get preselected for an interview (did do a screener for that one)

The point is to try every avenue and you have nothing to lose. You don't know what may come from your efforts. Trying harder, or again, may show initiative, and if it doesn't you are no worse off. It's also not too late to email firms you didn't interview at, especially since you are in NY and won't cost the firm anything more than their time. Chances are many students are canceling callbacks right now, so firms may be more open to bringing you in. Try to think of at least a few firms where you thought you had an especially good rapport with the interviewer and maybe only got cut because of a sheer numbers game. Write the interviewer with something like:

Dear Mr. BigLaw,

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me.. yada yada. While I was naturally disappointed with the end result, I understand that there are lots of talented students competing for a few spots. However, I still believe that I would be a strong addition to your firm because of bla bla bla. I would like to let you know that I am still interested in your firm, and would welcome an opportunity to visit should your firm still have open spots for its Summer Associate program.

Obviously phrase things a little better than that, and remind them that you go to school in NY

The things i've noticed that have helped the most are significant and relevant employment prior to law school, definite interest in a practice area (lit or corporate), and strong ties to the region. lots of students have good grades and journals. ITE the above factors are distinguishing many of us, but its up to you to remind them of that. Just as i've had good success in NY, where i have ties and a corporate background, i completely struck out in DC as well as the local market for my school.

rcb5142
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby rcb5142 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:18 pm

OP, do not buy into the "i've struck out" mentality. If your personality and paper credentials are as described then you still have plenty of opportunities available. If you are not mass mailing then you need to start sending 10+ targeted applications per day right now. If all else fails, do what you can to set yourself up for a clerkship - grades, recs, etc. You would probably have a competitive application. Do 2 years of district court clerkships if you have to. The tls boards are poison for those having bad luck in this OCI shit-storm. Plan B =/= failure ITE.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:29 pm

fwiw, T6 median/below median here, attractive female. 7CBs (1 V30, 1 V60, 5 V100).

Good luck, OP

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:42 pm

OP--

I know that at my school (T10), when there is a situation like yours and you ask for it, Career Services will call up at least some of the firms and politely ask them why you didn't get a callback, offer, etc. It probably sucks to have them do that, but at least then you get real feedback and can hopefully identify any actual problem areas (if it's not just bad luck, which it certainly could be) rather than merely having to guess at what could have gone wrong.

Any chance your school would do this too? It seems worth a shot to me.

rcb5142
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:28 pm

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby rcb5142 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:fwiw, T6 median/below median here, attractive female. 7CBs (1 V30, 1 V60, 5 V100).

Good luck, OP


I would hire you too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:47 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe this sounds mean, but I guess I am going to have to question how well you and your friends do socially (and therefore your interview skills). You're all friends; you might not be the best judge of your collective social skills.

Either way, I think OP is a bigger anomaly than someone below median with a handful of callbacks at C or N. I still haven't talked to anyone with no callbacks, but maybe my friend group is a bit skewed as well. I'm also curious to know if this is NYU or CLS. I have an offer wayyy out of my grade range, and I know there's no way I would have gotten it if I weren't at CN, given my shit GPA. So I'll represent the other position, whose incredibly thankful I came to my school, otherwise I would have been shit up a creek.

A few people have made statements about not knowing anyone with 0 callbacks, but I'm going to guess that people with 0 callbacks aren't exactly running around telling the world about it; it's more likely that those who strike out try to avoid conversations about callbacks, etc., and when they are unable to do so it is quite possible they are somewhat liberal with the truth.

OP may be an outlier, but I believe him a lot more than the guy with top third at a lower T14 with 20 callbacks, or the person below median with 10.



As the below median CLSer with 7 CBs, I would not be surprised if someone got 10. Not completely shocking, dude.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:54 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe this sounds mean, but I guess I am going to have to question how well you and your friends do socially (and therefore your interview skills). You're all friends; you might not be the best judge of your collective social skills.

Either way, I think OP is a bigger anomaly than someone below median with a handful of callbacks at C or N. I still haven't talked to anyone with no callbacks, but maybe my friend group is a bit skewed as well. I'm also curious to know if this is NYU or CLS. I have an offer wayyy out of my grade range, and I know there's no way I would have gotten it if I weren't at CN, given my shit GPA. So I'll represent the other position, whose incredibly thankful I came to my school, otherwise I would have been shit up a creek.

A few people have made statements about not knowing anyone with 0 callbacks, but I'm going to guess that people with 0 callbacks aren't exactly running around telling the world about it; it's more likely that those who strike out try to avoid conversations about callbacks, etc., and when they are unable to do so it is quite possible they are somewhat liberal with the truth.

OP may be an outlier, but I believe him a lot more than the guy with top third at a lower T14 with 20 callbacks, or the person below median with 10.



As the below median CLSer with 7 CBs, I would not be surprised if someone got 10. Not completely shocking, dude.


I'm also a below median CLSer with, oddly enough, exactly 7 CBs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe this sounds mean, but I guess I am going to have to question how well you and your friends do socially (and therefore your interview skills). You're all friends; you might not be the best judge of your collective social skills.

Either way, I think OP is a bigger anomaly than someone below median with a handful of callbacks at C or N. I still haven't talked to anyone with no callbacks, but maybe my friend group is a bit skewed as well. I'm also curious to know if this is NYU or CLS. I have an offer wayyy out of my grade range, and I know there's no way I would have gotten it if I weren't at CN, given my shit GPA. So I'll represent the other position, whose incredibly thankful I came to my school, otherwise I would have been shit up a creek.

A few people have made statements about not knowing anyone with 0 callbacks, but I'm going to guess that people with 0 callbacks aren't exactly running around telling the world about it; it's more likely that those who strike out try to avoid conversations about callbacks, etc., and when they are unable to do so it is quite possible they are somewhat liberal with the truth.

OP may be an outlier, but I believe him a lot more than the guy with top third at a lower T14 with 20 callbacks, or the person below median with 10.



As the below median CLSer with 7 CBs, I would not be surprised if someone got 10. Not completely shocking, dude.


I'm also a below median CLSer with, oddly enough, exactly 7 CBs.


I'm guessing all these below median folks with lots of callbacks targeted NYC? I targeted DC at a T10 school and have been decimated so far.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bwv812 wrote:A few people have made statements about not knowing anyone with 0 callbacks, but I'm going to guess that people with 0 callbacks aren't exactly running around telling the world about it; it's more likely that those who strike out try to avoid conversations about callbacks, etc., and when they are unable to do so it is quite possible they are somewhat liberal with the truth.

OP may be an outlier, but I believe him a lot more than the guy with top third at a lower T14 with 20 callbacks, or the person below median with 10.



As the below median CLSer with 7 CBs, I would not be surprised if someone got 10. Not completely shocking, dude.


I'm also a below median CLSer with, oddly enough, exactly 7 CBs.


I'm guessing all these below median folks with lots of callbacks targeted NYC? I targeted DC at a T10 school and have been decimated so far.


I was specifically told not to target DC. Luckily I only wanted to work in NYC, but...yeah. Not too surprising, unfortunately.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm guessing all these below median folks with lots of callbacks targeted NYC? I targeted DC at a T10 school and have been decimated so far.


Join the club -- I have one call back out of 20 DC screeners (admittedly, a few firms haven't gotten back to me yet, but I'm assuming after so long, I'm probably rejected and simply not important enough to notify). DC has been brutal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm guessing all these below median folks with lots of callbacks targeted NYC? I targeted DC at a T10 school and have been decimated so far.


One of those CLS 7 CB people: I had a few DC screeners, but I didn't get a CB down there. One of my 7 was a CB for a secondary market where I was raised. All the rest (6) were NYC, you're correct.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Maybe this sounds mean, but I guess I am going to have to question how well you and your friends do socially (and therefore your interview skills). You're all friends; you might not be the best judge of your collective social skills.

Either way, I think OP is a bigger anomaly than someone below median with a handful of callbacks at C or N. I still haven't talked to anyone with no callbacks, but maybe my friend group is a bit skewed as well. I'm also curious to know if this is NYU or CLS. I have an offer wayyy out of my grade range, and I know there's no way I would have gotten it if I weren't at CN, given my shit GPA. So I'll represent the other position, whose incredibly thankful I came to my school, otherwise I would have been shit up a creek.

A few people have made statements about not knowing anyone with 0 callbacks, but I'm going to guess that people with 0 callbacks aren't exactly running around telling the world about it; it's more likely that those who strike out try to avoid conversations about callbacks, etc., and when they are unable to do so it is quite possible they are somewhat liberal with the truth.

OP may be an outlier, but I believe him a lot more than the guy with top third at a lower T14 with 20 callbacks, or the person below median with 10.



As the below median CLSer with 7 CBs, I would not be surprised if someone got 10. Not completely shocking, dude.


I'm also a below median CLSer with, oddly enough, exactly 7 CBs.


GJ.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bwv812 wrote:A few people have made statements about not knowing anyone with 0 callbacks, but I'm going to guess that people with 0 callbacks aren't exactly running around telling the world about it; it's more likely that those who strike out try to avoid conversations about callbacks, etc., and when they are unable to do so it is quite possible they are somewhat liberal with the truth.

OP may be an outlier, but I believe him a lot more than the guy with top third at a lower T14 with 20 callbacks, or the person below median with 10.



As the below median CLSer with 7 CBs, I would not be surprised if someone got 10. Not completely shocking, dude.


I'm also a below median CLSer with, oddly enough, exactly 7 CBs.


GJ.


My point was that I've found it to be quite common. I haven't met anyone at CLS with 0 callbacks, and the below-median people (or as I like to call us, "Top 60%") seem to be doing just fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:25 pm

OP: How many screeners total, and what was the split between CA and NY?

While OPs story sounds like an outlier, I think that people 1) With median/below median grades, 2) no WE, 3) unremarkable looks or personality, 4) and who used a lot of bids on secondary markets were definitely the high-risk population for striking out at CLS/NYU this OCI cycle. Even for this group, some people did very well, which means it came down to luck a lot of the time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:GJ.


My point was that I've found it to be quite common. I haven't met anyone at CLS with 0 callbacks, and the below-median people (or as I like to call us, "Top 60%") seem to be doing just fine.[/quote]


Oh, no, dude, I was being sincere. Sometimes, it can't get through on the internet.

I know one person who has zero CBs here, by the way.

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Arg, I'm amazed by the number of insulting and useless posts in this thread. I always forget how anonymous posting quickly turns a potentially useful thread into a forum for one-upmanship. Anonymous posters, this isn't a thread about how you've gotten a billion callbacks and why you think the OP failed - frankly, you've missed the point of this thread. Moreover, to briefly respond to your assumptions that OP is socially awkward: contrasting OP's posts to your own, I'd much rather hang out with OP.

Dear OP: I'm sorry. That really sucks. I hope you're mass mailing firms and, if you're a CLSer, doing Fall OCI. You've done many things right to get this far. I have every confidence you'll build a successful career, even if you take a non-traditional route. If you ever had any doubts about your interest in BigLaw, perhaps this is your opportunity to explore other options - whether you're at NYU or CLS, LRAP can be your friend. If you are committed to BigLaw, crank out the mass mailings and keep your chin up.

General lesson: nothing is guaranteed in this market. Are OP's results typical? No, but that doesn't make them any less real (I bet they feel pretty real to OP). Those of us who have been lucky should be grateful. Prospective law students should be aware of the inherent risks in the current market, so that they can make fully informed decisions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:56 pm

I feel your pain OP. I'm at a loss for an explanation here as well. T2 transfer to NYU/columbia, top 2% 1L year and top undergrad - 4 callbacks, 4 dings. Wouldn't be such a bad thing at my old school where nobody has jobs, but now I have to pay 30k more a year in tuition and be in an environment where 60% of people have big law jobs. Literally the worst feeling ever - I feel like i just ruined my life with the extra debt.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I'll second OP's viewpoint and back what he suggests as the alternative track to taking on a huge debt at a T14.

I am a TTT 2L who chose my school for the lifestyle, location, and a reasonably good specialty. Not that it's easy to do what OP is suggesting, but it is possible if you do well at a TTT. I'm top 1-2%, LR, well-involved, strong UG/graduate degrees, and I've had four BigLaw CBs so far in a tough secondary market. One has already extended an offer.

The thing is, your alumni network will advocate for you if they can. At least, mine has and it has paid off. My results so far demonstrate that the lower-ranked law school strategy can be more valuable than paying $70,000 for 20 OCIs (again - stressing that you do well). Don't get me wrong, I know the $70,000 T14 golden parachute is a good bargain if you are not confident you can be top 3% at a lower-ranked school with decently placed alumni.

Good luck everyone.


Not to quibble with the above but there is something to be said about educational quality at a top school vs ttt and also networking with your peers (as opposed to strictly alums), most of whom will land great private sector jobs as opposed to the 5 or so ppl at your school who might. OP, however, didn't make the 'full-fledged ttt w/ full ride>t14' argument that you seem to be implying. Glad things worked out for you; you made a risky bet and got a very, very high reward (at least relative to the majority of your peers). Grats!


You can say that you didn't mean to quibble, but I don't believe you. It's a natural consequence that you want to defend your decision based on educational quality. And certainly you can claim that your educational quality is better, but I disagree. Taking civpro as an example, I have studied the same rules that you did, and while perhaps you had Arthur Miller in person, I had him on tape and a student of his who was a clerk for 18 years in various federal courts. I'm also the type of person who is a lifelong learner and reasonably good observer for nuances given that I went to top undergrad/grad schools. What I didn't make my decision on was prestige. I don't believe I sacrificed educational quality, although perhaps I did sacrifice depth in particular areas (i.e. limited advance coursework in particular areas).

The main issue with which I will agree is that you have value-added from networking with your peers. Most of my peers want to engage in public interest law which will be of little value to me in trying to create a book of business. But I'm not dime-a-dozen like you will be in BigLaw, and therefore my relationships with alums who do choose non-public interest will likely be more meaningful than yours. Just saying.

I know OP didn't make the TTT argument; but I'm using an extreme to illustrate his more moderate proposal which I think anyone should consider more seriously than they really do. Of course, I think the path has limited applicability and a higher return if you have other characteristics going for you (like top UG/grad which you can use for networking, top grades, etc.).

Again, not to quibble, just felt a need to respond to your reasoning.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:41 am

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Arg, I'm amazed by the number of insulting and useless posts in this thread. I always forget how anonymous posting quickly turns a potentially useful thread into a forum for one-upmanship. Anonymous posters, this isn't a thread about how you've gotten a billion callbacks and why you think the OP failed - frankly, you've missed the point of this thread. Moreover, to briefly respond to your assumptions that OP is socially awkward: contrasting OP's posts to your own, I'd much rather hang out with OP.

Dear OP: I'm sorry. That really sucks. I hope you're mass mailing firms and, if you're a CLSer, doing Fall OCI. You've done many things right to get this far. I have every confidence you'll build a successful career, even if you take a non-traditional route. If you ever had any doubts about your interest in BigLaw, perhaps this is your opportunity to explore other options - whether you're at NYU or CLS, LRAP can be your friend. If you are committed to BigLaw, crank out the mass mailings and keep your chin up.

General lesson: nothing is guaranteed in this market. Are OP's results typical? No, but that doesn't make them any less real (I bet they feel pretty real to OP). Those of us who have been lucky should be grateful. Prospective law students should be aware of the inherent risks in the current market, so that they can make fully informed decisions.


Thank you for injecting rationality back into this thread. I go to the school geographically situated between CLS and NYU, but I've been confidante to enough people at higher ranked schools to have some sense of what goes on where. I also will say that legal interviewing is not about showing off how socially adept you are. Establishing rapport with people and getting them to like you is necessary but not sufficient, even if you also have the grades. I can well believe that OP did everything right and deserves better than people's scorn for his or her efforts.

Please have some consideration for your fellow 2Ls, and if you can't provide constructive assistance, don't post.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273560
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:41 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Arg, I'm amazed by the number of insulting and useless posts in this thread. I always forget how anonymous posting quickly turns a potentially useful thread into a forum for one-upmanship. Anonymous posters, this isn't a thread about how you've gotten a billion callbacks and why you think the OP failed - frankly, you've missed the point of this thread. Moreover, to briefly respond to your assumptions that OP is socially awkward: contrasting OP's posts to your own, I'd much rather hang out with OP.

Dear OP: I'm sorry. That really sucks. I hope you're mass mailing firms and, if you're a CLSer, doing Fall OCI. You've done many things right to get this far. I have every confidence you'll build a successful career, even if you take a non-traditional route. If you ever had any doubts about your interest in BigLaw, perhaps this is your opportunity to explore other options - whether you're at NYU or CLS, LRAP can be your friend. If you are committed to BigLaw, crank out the mass mailings and keep your chin up.

General lesson: nothing is guaranteed in this market. Are OP's results typical? No, but that doesn't make them any less real (I bet they feel pretty real to OP). Those of us who have been lucky should be grateful. Prospective law students should be aware of the inherent risks in the current market, so that they can make fully informed decisions.


Thank you for injecting rationality back into this thread. I go to the school geographically situated between CLS and NYU, but I've been confidante to enough people at higher ranked schools to have some sense of what goes on where. I also will say that legal interviewing is not about showing off how socially adept you are. Establishing rapport with people and getting them to like you is necessary but not sufficient, even if you also have the grades. I can well believe that OP did everything right and deserves better than people's scorn for his or her efforts.

Please have some consideration for your fellow 2Ls, and if you can't provide constructive assistance, don't post.



People aren't SCORNING him, dood.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: T6 New York Law Student OCI Experience

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:Arg, I'm amazed by the number of insulting and useless posts in this thread. I always forget how anonymous posting quickly turns a potentially useful thread into a forum for one-upmanship. Anonymous posters, this isn't a thread about how you've gotten a billion callbacks and why you think the OP failed - frankly, you've missed the point of this thread. Moreover, to briefly respond to your assumptions that OP is socially awkward: contrasting OP's posts to your own, I'd much rather hang out with OP.

Dear OP: I'm sorry. That really sucks. I hope you're mass mailing firms and, if you're a CLSer, doing Fall OCI. You've done many things right to get this far. I have every confidence you'll build a successful career, even if you take a non-traditional route. If you ever had any doubts about your interest in BigLaw, perhaps this is your opportunity to explore other options - whether you're at NYU or CLS, LRAP can be your friend. If you are committed to BigLaw, crank out the mass mailings and keep your chin up.

General lesson: nothing is guaranteed in this market. Are OP's results typical? No, but that doesn't make them any less real (I bet they feel pretty real to OP). Those of us who have been lucky should be grateful. Prospective law students should be aware of the inherent risks in the current market, so that they can make fully informed decisions.


Thank you for injecting rationality back into this thread. I go to the school geographically situated between CLS and NYU, but I've been confidante to enough people at higher ranked schools to have some sense of what goes on where. I also will say that legal interviewing is not about showing off how socially adept you are. Establishing rapport with people and getting them to like you is necessary but not sufficient, even if you also have the grades. I can well believe that OP did everything right and deserves better than people's scorn for his or her efforts.

Please have some consideration for your fellow 2Ls, and if you can't provide constructive assistance, don't post.



People aren't SCORNING him, dood.


Well, hopefully not intentionally. When things don't go as planned, it's natural to look for a reason why, but it's erroneous just to assume that OP made some fundamental error in bidding or interviewing.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.