Irell is the right choice, correct?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Irell is the right choice, correct?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:20 pm

I think I know the answer to this, but just looking for other opinions. I am planning on Patent Lit, tech background, PTO reg, etc.
I have a handful of offers, and I am looking to stay in Cali.
Offers in hand from:
Irell
Alston and Bird
WilmerHale
Expected from:
Gibson Dunn
Skadden Palo Alto (maybe)

I am basically ready to accept the Irell offer. Even if the Gibson and Skadden ones came through, I think I would still stake Irell. This is the right choice, no? As far as patent lit on the west coats goes, I don't think Irell can be beaten. What's the consensus?

Anonymous User

Re: Irell is the right choice, correct?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As far as patent lit on the west coats goes, I don't think Irell can be beaten. What's the consensus?

I'm pretty sure the consensus will be that you're absolutely right, even if you remove the phrase "on the west coast" from that sentence.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I know the answer to this, but just looking for other opinions. I am planning on Patent Lit, tech background, PTO reg, etc.
Offers in hand from:
Irell
Alston and Bird
WilmerHale
Expected from:
Gibson Dunn

I am basically ready to accept the Irell offer. Even if the Gibson and Skadden ones came through, I think I would still stake Irell. This is the right choice, no? As far as patent lit on the west coats goes, I don't think Irell can be beaten. What's the consensus?

I think that's probably right. If I recall correctly, neither Gibson or Skadden is especially known for IP.

The one factor I would take into consideration is the fact that Irell will be a very different work environment from all the other firms you mentioned, for reasons I'm sure you already know (smaller firm, only two offices, not particularly social, more intellectual bent, etc).

I would probably go with Irell if you are fine with that environment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think I know the answer to this, but just looking for other opinions. I am planning on Patent Lit, tech background, PTO reg, etc.
Offers in hand from:
Irell
Alston and Bird
WilmerHale
Expected from:
Gibson Dunn

What was your time between callback -> offer?
Did you tell them about your other offers to expedite this process?
Lastly, mind sharing stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:22 pm

Irell, and it's not even close. WilmerHale's main patent lit office is in Boston (where they are more focused on biotech stuff); their Palo Alto office is tiny. Skadden's PA office is similarly small, and Skadden as a firm doesn't attract top IP cases. Gibson Dunn's IP practice is virtually non-existent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As far as patent lit on the west coats goes, I don't think Irell can be beaten. What's the consensus?

I'm pretty sure the consensus will be that you're absolutely right, even if you remove the phrase "on the west coast" from that sentence.

Depending on what you're looking for, Irell can be matched or beaten, but certainly not by the other firms you've listed there (for reasons indicated by the previous poster).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Depending on what you're looking for, Irell can be matched or beaten, but certainly not by the other firms you've listed there (for reasons indicated by the previous poster).

What firms beat Irell for IP lit? I know a handful that match it

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:55 pm

op here, stats as requested:

T2 - 50-100 range
top 2%, law review
significant work experience in engineering before school, hard science undergrad
it was about 3 work days between call-back and offer

a question to other posters in this thread. what firms in your opinion beat Irell for patent lit on the west coast? just curious, my mind is basically made up in favor of Irell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what firms in your opinion beat Irell for patent lit on the west coast? just curious, my mind is basically made up in favor of Irell.

There really aren't any. I can see an argument for MoFo SF being a peer patent lit firm, but it certainly doesn't "beat" Irell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:43 pm

or Weil redwood shores

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:22 pm

OP here again...

Dinged by Gibson via snail-mail shortly after posting this, but just got the offer from Skadden Palo Alto.

Accepted the Irell offer the other day. Do you guys think it makes sense to try to split the summer with Skadden up in Palo Alto, or should I just stick with Irell the whole summer. I think I know that I want to stay with Irell, but should I give Skadden a chance just because they are Skadden? Also, Skadden does some transactional work, Irell does not do much, and maybe I should give that a chance? Does splitting summers hurt you in any way?

Return to “Legal Employment”