vault IP versus chambers IP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

vault IP versus chambers IP

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:55 pm

is there consensus on which one is more reliable, or are they equally useless?

Fish = #1 in Vault for IP; Fish = Band 2 in Chambers for IP.

What gives?

rcb5142

Re: vault IP versus chambers IP

Postby rcb5142 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:25 pm

US News just ranked Fish tier 1 nationally in IP for what it's worth. So I don't know if you were looking at fish specifically or just the whole thing more generally. I'd guess that the average of these three sources will tend to be more reliable than any one of them individually.
http://bestlawfirms.usnews.com/firmprof ... m_id=15877
Are you trying to decide between IP offers at this point?

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is there consensus on which one is more reliable, or are they equally useless?

Fish = #1 in Vault for IP; Fish = Band 2 in Chambers for IP.

What gives?

The vault rankings are associate prestige rankings. That means they are (1) from an associate's perspective, and (2) based only on prestige.

The chambers rankings are peer review bands based on interviews of senior practitioners and clients. That means they are (1) from a more senior practitioner/client perspective, and (2) based on multiple factors including but not limited to prestige.

The two often are similar, but not always. For instance, some firms have a very strong partnership but are not particularly selective regarding associates, and vice versa. For example you'll notice that skadden is on almost every vault practice area ranking because skadden is just a generally prestigious/selective place. But they're not ranked as highly across the board in chambers, because some practice areas aren't particularly notable.

In general, I would use vault as a proxy for junior/midlevel exit options, whereas I think chambers is more representative of the overall prestige of the practice group and the caliber of cases you will be getting. Again, often the same, but not always.

digitalcntrl

Postby digitalcntrl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:07 pm

rcb5142 wrote:US News just ranked Fish tier 1 nationally in IP for what it's worth. So I don't know if you were looking at fish specifically or just the whole thing more generally. I'd guess that the average of these three sources will tend to be more reliable than any one of them individually.

Except that only puts them in the top 25% along with Finnegan and 22 other ranked firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:12 pm

rcb5142 wrote:US News just ranked Fish tier 1 nationally in IP for what it's worth. So I don't know if you were looking at fish specifically or just the whole thing more generally. I'd guess that the average of these three sources will tend to be more reliable than any one of them individually.

OP here, no way - I wish - I have zero offers to date; tons of callbacks though, hopefully one of them will turn into ACCEPTANCE

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:24 pm

digitalcntrl wrote:

Except that only puts them in the top 25% along with Finnegan and 22 other ranked firms.

True, but I think that is kind of a virtue of the USN and Chambers rankings (although I admit I haven't read the USN methodology yet). Vault I think makes many meaningless distinctions among the top firms by creating a strict hierarchy rather than the "band" or "tier" structure. Generally, I tend to agree with chuckbass above. I'm sure you'll be fine OP with tons of CBs.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:39 pm

It doesn't matter. The rankings are only useful insofar as the other information they have about the firms or simply identifying firms that you might not know about in different areas... i.e. at the front end of the process, when you're choosing what firms to bid on and prepping for interviews. Once you're choosing between offers, you need much deeper information.

Return to “Legal Employment”