Cancelling Callbacks Protocol/Etiquette

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cancelling Callbacks Protocol/Etiquette

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:38 am

Is there any consensus about the proper way to cancel callbacks or etiquette guidelines? I have three scheduled next week but because of offers already in, I only want to go to one of the callbacks (V5) and I haven't booked travel/lodging yet. The offer that made me sure I didn't want the other two callbacks came yesterday late afternoon after normal work hours. Is Monday too late to cancel Wednesday and Thursday callbacks?

Anonymous User

Re: Cancelling Callbacks Protocol/Etiquette

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:40 am

It's never too late to cancel. If you aren't going to work at a firm, the firm will be better off if you don't waste their attorneys' time interviewing.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:43 am

Our career services said that 24 hours is ok, but 48 is preferable. So cancelling on Monday for a Wednesday or Thursday callback is totally fine.

As far as etiquette, I have been calling recruiting to let them know, then emailing my screening interviewer to let them know and thank them for taking the time to interview me. I think the latter part is optional, but I do it (1) so there's a written record of me cancelling, and (2) because most people appreciate the personal note.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:46 am

what is the protocol if the firm has already booked your travel?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:49 am

Just be clear you are canceling and not rescheduling. I was asked when I wanted to reschedule on two separate cancellations. I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what is the protocol if the firm has already booked your travel?

You have to be careful with this. One firm I interviewed with said that too late of a cancellation could make me responsible for some costs. This was in writing and not any more specific, so, obviously I just did the CB - I wasn't going to ask for specifics. FWIW, I knew I wanted to cancel only about 36 hours before the interview and travel was already booked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:40 pm

Anyone else have other tips on this? I got an offer post business hours on Friday that is resulting in me cancelling a callback Thursday with Wednesday travel. Nothing they sent me that I've noticed said I could be responsible for the travel, and I'm planning on cancelling first thing Monday, but I noticed my hotel reservation said there was a 3 day cancellation policy. I definitely don't want to waste the time of the attorneys at the firm (or my own), but I want to make sure I handle this properly.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:32 pm

I also read the fine print on NALP guidelines re: your responsibility incurred due to costs from the callback. Since it's kind of hard to ask them this question, my advice would be to just do the callback. I'm only canceling the ones I haven't actually scheduled yet -- otherwise, it's not a bad experience to visit other firms, see if you like them for whatever reason, and also meet and talk to other attorneys. You never know what will happen down the line -- and if you hate your summer and need to do a 3L job search for whatever reason, I'm sure it would help to have visited them and made a good impression.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but this is the exact question I have now. If I have already scheduled a callback with a nonrefundable airfare...should I just go on the cb? FWIW it's about a week from today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:52 pm

To the poster immediately above - I did the same thing. My career development office said a week is plenty of time for them to readjust & give out new CBs for your space. I would go ahead and respectfully cancel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:36 pm

This morning I emailed about rescheduling a CB that is scheduled for this Thursday, and travel hadn't been booked yet, which is why I emailed to reschedule. Three hours after my email requesting reschedule, I received travel confirmation. 30 minutes after that I received an email from the recruiter asking that I stick with Thursday.

Now I just want to cancel, haha.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Travel agencies can sometimes void the travel within 24 hours of booking.

Return to “Legal Employment”