am I just not cut out for private practice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: am I just not cut out for private practice?

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:40 am

You're not cut-out for life.

Go get your PhD in Philosophy and enjoy BIGACADEMIA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:08 am

Lawyer =/= Judge.

If all lawyers thought like you, we wouldn't need a judge, jury, or courtroom. We could just convict in a court of public opinion.

Postby Bumi » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:so ur saying this "basic principle" necessarily requires an unethical way of thinking/working?

I mean, how the hell is "persuasive writing" not "bullshit writing"? When I learned "persuasive writing" in law school, I thought that was the most dishonest thing any school had ever taught me.

Emphasis mine.

Most of the responses to this guy focus on the adversarial nature of litigation, but this guy is more of a head-case than you guys are allowing for. The problem isn't just that he has to work against a position that he believes in. He thinks that the entire activity of being intentionally persuasive is intellectually dishonest. Stating the strongest case for your position without also stating the strongest case AGAINST your position is, to him, "bullshit."

The OP is going to have a hard time working in a lot of fields, not just law. He couldn't work in marketing or sales, that's for sure. I work in business and regularly have to work on projects I don't believe in, because I am not the owner of the company. If I intentionally sabotaged those projects, I would be fired. Pretty much any job where the OP has any kind of boss is out of bounds for him - and even then, he'd still run afoul of trying to be persuasive to others without minimizing the facts against him.

Poor guy. I'd kind of like to know what happens to him.

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:23 am

Question for the op, what was your major in ug? Also, did you go straight through from ug to ls?

Return to “Legal Employment”