Jones Day v. V & E (TX)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which offer would you accept?

Jones Day
54%
Vinson & Elkins
46%

Total votes: 13

Anonymous User

Jones Day v. V & E (TX)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Really liked everyone I met during my interviews. Assuming offers at both, which would you accept an offer with?

Anonymous User

Re: Jones Day v. V & E (TX)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:01 pm

If Houston, then V&E for sure.
If Dallas, then it's closer, but still probably V&E.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Not that vault rankings mean a whole lot, but they're another data point: http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/ran ... regionId=0

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:15 pm

Do your ever want to leave Texas or do you want the international-interoffice attributes of Jones Day?
If you just want Texas then V&E is best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:17 pm

JD gives you a lot of future options if you think you'll stay in biglaw for awhile. I will add, though, that according to some friends, not every office deserves the high rating for quality of life they get. Check that out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:33 pm

V&E is a better firm in Texas, JD is a better firm nationally and worldwide. Also, you generally won't be expected to work as many hours at V&E as you will at JD. Take from that what you will.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:04 pm

has V&E Dallas done any offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has V&E Dallas done any offers?

I called and indicated that I had a couple of offers that were set to expire at the end of the week. I gave them the names of the outstanding offers and they said that the committee was scheduled to meet again sometime this week and that they would try to have an answer by the end of the week. I interviewed two weeks ago. Otherwise, I have not heard of any offers going out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:15 pm

Based on my experiences, I would take JD Dallas over V&E Dallas. I was very unimpressed with the V&E attorneys that I met.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I called and indicated that I had a couple of offers that were set to expire at the end of the week. I gave them the names of the outstanding offers and they said that the committee was scheduled to meet again sometime this week and that they would try to have an answer by the end of the week. I interviewed two weeks ago. Otherwise, I have not heard of any offers going out.

That's reassuring. I also had mine two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you end up hearing by the end of the week, or did you take your other offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Based on my experiences, I would take JD Dallas over V&E Dallas. I was very unimpressed with the V&E attorneys that I met.

That has consistently been my experience as well. It's strange, because I feel like it should be my first choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:27 pm

I very much liked the JD Dallas people I met with. There seems to be some kind of hushed internet whispering about unpleasantness there that I can't figure out. Yeah it might be a lot of hours. For the money I suppose that's to be expected. Culturally speaking, though, the people I met with seemed to jive with the general hype about Jones Day (polite, pleasant working environment, low level of cutthroat/competitive bs).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I very much liked the JD Dallas people I met with. There seems to be some kind of hushed internet whispering about unpleasantness there that I can't figure out. Yeah it might be a lot of hours. For the money I suppose that's to be expected. Culturally speaking, though, the people I met with seemed to jive with the general hype about Jones Day (polite, pleasant working environment, low level of cutthroat/competitive bs).

I've heard that the whole "black box compensation" that JD is known for is even more pronounced in Dallas. Specifically, I heard that the partners that an associate works directly with my have little/nothing to do with that associate's bonus, so it makes it really hard to gauge your performance/potential for advancement.

I really liked everyone there, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you end up hearing by the end of the week, or did you take your other offer?

I called on Friday. My apologies, I meant by the end of next Friday. Initially, V&E would have been the obvious choice over some of my other offers, but I am no longer so sure of that. I have also heard that they can be very unwilling to work with other firms where a week may overlap in trying to split a summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”