Milbank vs Paul Weiss for corporate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Milbank vs Paul Weiss for corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:58 pm

Not into project finance -- more interested in private equity and M&A deals. Which would you take if these were your only two options?

Anonymous User

Re: Milbank vs Paul Weiss for corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:56 pm

I think the answer to your question depends in part on what kind of work experience you're looking to have. In the specific areas of private equity and corporate M & A, Paul Weiss will generally take on more big-ticket deals than Milbank (in terms of absolute volume) but you may get less early responsibility and less job satisfaction in working on those deals than you would at Milbank. The Chambers USA rankings in both M&A and private equity areas reflect the fact that Paul Weiss works on bigger-ticket deals. On the other hand, both firms share very similar corporate clients and are strong internationally, particularly in east Asia (with Milbank also having a very fine Latin American practice). You may be staffed more leanly at Milbank because I believe the practice groups that handle private equity and corporate M & A at the firm are smaller. So, while you'd work on generally bigger-ticket deals at Paul Weiss, you may have a more substantive working experience as a junior associate at Milbank. While I cannot speak personally to the working environment at Paul Weiss, I have heard its general reputation for being a sweatshop (you might have heard that as well). Of course, you're going to work long hours and incredibly hard at any top firm, but there are gradations among firms and there are distinctions between firms that work you hard, but respect your put-in-for vacation time and are generally more humane. I have heard Milbank to be a generally humane place, in part because the practice groups are smaller there so there is more direct interaction between partners and associates on smaller teams. Perhaps you'll be able to suss out a bit more what kind of working environment there is at Paull Weiss, but I'd be cautious about it. I want to emphasize that I do not know what it is like personally to work at either firm in those areas so I'd inquire more from people who have greater personal knowledge.

Of course, Paul Weiss is known most for its stellar litigation work while Milbank is best known for its stellar corporate finance work. Milbank has expanded its M & A capabilities in recent years so it might be good to join a group that is on the rise and that won't be overshadowed. On the other hand, if you ended up doing M & A work and wanted to lateral or were considering other exit options after a few years, working for Paul Weiss would probably give you a little bit more of an advantage (without knowing anything else) than it would to work for Milbank (on the premise that things stayed the same between the two firms in this area). I say this because at this time Paul Weiss will beat out Milbank in general for the bigger corporate M & A deals.

Last but not least, I wouldn't be so quick to pigeonhole yourself into M&A and private equity unless you have some significant prior work experience in either area. The reason I say this is that many law students - particularly those who are delving into corporate practice - do not really have a good day idea of what corporate practice is like on a day-to-day basis. You may find yourself interested in areas of corporate work that you found previously uninteresting...and vice versa. So I'd keep an open mind wherever you end up this summer. Hope this was helpful!

Anonymous User

Re: Milbank vs Paul Weiss for corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think the answer to your question depends in part on what kind of work experience you're looking to have. In the specific areas of private equity and corporate M & A, Paul Weiss will generally take on more big-ticket deals than Milbank (in terms of absolute volume) but you may get less early responsibility and less job satisfaction in working on those deals than you would at Milbank. The Chambers USA rankings in both M&A and private equity areas reflect the fact that Paul Weiss works on bigger-ticket deals. On the other hand, both firms share very similar corporate clients and are strong internationally, particularly in east Asia (with Milbank also having a very fine Latin American practice). You may be staffed more leanly at Milbank because I believe the practice groups that handle private equity and corporate M & A at the firm are smaller. So, while you'd work on generally bigger-ticket deals at Paul Weiss, you may have a more substantive working experience as a junior associate at Milbank. While I cannot speak personally to the working environment at Paul Weiss, I have heard its general reputation for being a sweatshop (you might have heard that as well). Of course, you're going to work long hours and incredibly hard at any top firm, but there are gradations among firms and there are distinctions between firms that work you hard, but respect your put-in-for vacation time and are generally more humane. I have heard Milbank to be a generally humane place, in part because the practice groups are smaller there so there is more direct interaction between partners and associates on smaller teams. Perhaps you'll be able to suss out a bit more what kind of working environment there is at Paull Weiss, but I'd be cautious about it. I want to emphasize that I do not know what it is like personally to work at either firm in those areas so I'd inquire more from people who have greater personal knowledge.

Of course, Paul Weiss is known most for its stellar litigation work while Milbank is best known for its stellar corporate finance work. Milbank has expanded its M & A capabilities in recent years so it might be good to join a group that is on the rise and that won't be overshadowed. On the other hand, if you ended up doing M & A work and wanted to lateral or were considering other exit options after a few years, working for Paul Weiss would probably give you a little bit more of an advantage (without knowing anything else) than it would to work for Milbank (on the premise that things stayed the same between the two firms in this area). I say this because at this time Paul Weiss will beat out Milbank in general for the bigger corporate M & A deals.

Last but not least, I wouldn't be so quick to pigeonhole yourself into M&A and private equity unless you have some significant prior work experience in either area. The reason I say this is that many law students - particularly those who are delving into corporate practice - do not really have a good day idea of what corporate practice is like on a day-to-day basis. You may find yourself interested in areas of corporate work that you found previously uninteresting...and vice versa. So I'd keep an open mind wherever you end up this summer. Hope this was helpful!

very helpful. thanks

Return to “Legal Employment”