what the hell are firms looking for in callbacks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

what the hell are firms looking for in callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:39 am

I've been on three of these now, and I have no idea what firms are really looking for with callbacks. Of the 15 or so 30 minute interviews I've done, the vast majority have started with "so what can I tell you about the firm?" They all seem eager to answer MY questions and tell me about the firm, rather then hear about my background or resume. Are callbacks just meant to determine if your a social retard and not worth hiring/if you are a regular person that they'd like to be around? I've tried to stay away from the "this is my job to lose" attitude, but the way that firms are approaching this with me, I can't help but think that that is the case. The majority of what I've done is ask questions about the firm and bantered about random shit as much as possible.

Fwiw, CCN transfer from top 10% at a t20.

Side note: waiting to hear back is fucking torture.

Kohinoor

Re: what the hell are firms looking for in callbacks?

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been on three of these now, and I have no idea what firms are really looking for with callbacks. Of the 15 or so 30 minute interviews I've done, the vast majority have started with "so what can I tell you about the firm?" They all seem eager to answer MY questions and tell me about the firm, rather then hear about my background or resume. Are callbacks just meant to determine if your a social retard and not worth hiring/if you are a regular person that they'd like to be around? I've tried to stay away from the "this is my job to lose" attitude, but the way that firms are approaching this with me, I can't help but think that that is the case. The majority of what I've done is ask questions about the firm and bantered about random shit as much as possible.

Fwiw, CCN transfer from top 10% at a t20.

Side note: waiting to hear back is fucking torture.

Consensus is that the ball is more in your court at the callback stage and that they, while gauging interest and fit, are more in the role of fielding questions than interrogating.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:07 am

My CB interviewers asked plenty of substantive questions. IDK, I didn't feel like the ball was particularly in my court, but perhaps I am too pessimistic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:23 am

dresden doll wrote:My CB interviewers asked plenty of substantive questions. IDK, I didn't feel like the ball was particularly in my court, but perhaps I am too pessimistic.

OP here...its not that they've asked me no substantive questions, just not many. And most of the questions they have asked were along the lines of "why do you want to work here?" and "what are you looking for in a firm?" - which mainly seemed like invitations for them to sing the firm's praises.

I've found that the only people who have asked me OCI style questions ("tell me about your summer job" etc) are older partners), and even then, they seem to be making only a token effort.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 am

I'd throw some input in, but it seems like im clueless about this too. I've been getting a lot of callbacks at V50s unexpectedly (almost top 1/3rd, BU) but then have gotten swift rejections. This whole process is odd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:40 am

I think what they are looking for is to see if you walk, talk, and act like you belong there. That you "fit" in means -- do you have similar mannerisms, background, and tastes as the majority culture in any one particular firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:40 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:00 pm

If you figure it out, let me know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Mine have been the same way! I am confused too . . .

Return to “Legal Employment”