I will accept your offer on the spot Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

I will accept your offer on the spot

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Is there any downside to stating the above during my callback at a firm that I will absolutely be willing to work for next summer?

Is there an upside?

My gut tells me all upside, no downside, but I'd love to get you guys' take on this. There is literally not a single firm I'd work for among my callbacks than this one.

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: I will accept your offer on the spot

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:02 pm

Who doesn't love overt desperation?

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:04 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Who doesn't love overt desperation?
yeah, i think this could come off as weakness. think of it as being on a first date with someone who says "If you propose right now, I'll accept."

tingles

New

Post by tingles » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:07 pm

I think it makes you sound desperate, and they might think that they're your only callback. If it's a smooth transition, and you're able to bring it up, maybe mention that they're your first choice, but I certainly wouldn't say "I'll accept your offer on the spot."

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:08 pm

+1

Sounds so desperate. Not attractive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:10 pm

what if in your cbs they ask if you'll accept if given an offer and you say you're not sure. I can't help but feel that if i don't get offers it will be because i wasn't super excited and said "YES! RIGHT NOW"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Tsispilos wrote:
yeah, i think this could come off as weakness. think of it as being on a first date with someone who says "If you propose right now, I'll accept."
I don't think there is anything wrong with telling a firm that they are your first choice. This is especially true if you've built a raport with members of the firm prior to the whole oci process. In some instances, you may actually be proded by a firm to reveal where on the list you rank them.

I had a callback where the firm made obvious signs that they really liked me and wanted to know whether or not I would accept their offer. After sensing this, I told a member of the hiring committe that they were my first choice. Two minutes later I accepted their offer.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:20 pm

I think this is potentially OK if you have an offer about to expire from another firm that you don't like as much.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:47 pm

It's risky. You want to come across as being very enthusiastic about the firm, but you might just sound desperate for anything. If you already have an offer from another firm, and your number one firm knows about the offer, then you won't sound as desperate, but if that scenario doesn't apply then you should be careful.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:50 pm

this raises issues about people possibly LYING to candidates about having other offers on-hand to appear less desperate, which is not ethical/recommended, especially given that "firms talk"

Tsispilos

Bronze

Post by Tsispilos » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this raises issues about people possibly LYING to candidates about having other offers on-hand to appear less desperate, which is not ethical/recommended, especially given that "firms talk"
1. huh?
2. why anonymous?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Cavalier wrote:It's risky. You want to come across as being very enthusiastic about the firm, but you might just sound desperate for anything. If you already have an offer from another firm, and your number one firm knows about the offer, then you won't sound as desperate, but if that scenario doesn't apply then you should be careful.

I'm in the situation where my first CB (of two... so far... please OCI Gods, make it rain callbacks) is my #1 choice, and the second one really isn't in the same ballpark. I want to emphasize as much as possible that I love firm 1, but I don't want it to be so obvious that firm 1 is so much better than firm 2. It's quite the sticky wicket.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:this raises issues about people possibly LYING to candidates about having other offers on-hand to appear less desperate, which is not ethical/recommended, especially given that "firms talk"
Lying would just be stupid. All three times on callbacks that I mentioned I had an offer, the response I got was "congratulations. Where at?" The interviewer wrote down my response. I imagine there's a small but significant risk of getting caught lying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:51 am

so... I have one callback. If asked about other cbs, be bluntly honest or skirt the issue a bit "obviously I still haven't heard from some screening firms/I haven't scheduled others yet?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:55 am

NEVER tell a firm they are your only CB. lie and tell them you have a handfull, but don't mention anywhere specifically. firms want to think you are in demand.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:so... I have one callback. If asked about other cbs, be bluntly honest or skirt the issue a bit "obviously I still haven't heard from some screening firms/I haven't scheduled others yet?"
definitely don't be honest.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is there any downside to stating the above during my callback at a firm that I will absolutely be willing to work for next summer?

Is there an upside?

My gut tells me all upside, no downside, but I'd love to get you guys' take on this. There is literally not a single firm I'd work for among my callbacks than this one.
it's tacky and you look like a desperate fool.

if you really wouldn't work for your other CBs, wouldn't you have canceled them?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:57 am

Have a T-Shirt made that says I <3 (Insert Firm Name), and wear it over your shirt and tie (but under your suit jacket. That should do the trick and its much more subtle.

smizmar

New

Post by smizmar » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:02 am

Isn't the most logical thing to do to tell them they are your first choice either in a thank you note or during the initial interview and tell them why so they know you are serious? Saying "I will accept your offer on the spot" makes it look like a shady deal... For example, if I said, I will sell you this car RIGHT NOW for $400, wouldn't you think it odd?

Just sounds unprofessional. The marriage proposal example was much better than mine. :oops:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:NEVER tell a firm they are your only CB. lie and tell them you have a handfull, but don't mention anywhere specifically. firms want to think you are in demand.
booyakasha wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so... I have one callback. If asked about other cbs, be bluntly honest or skirt the issue a bit "obviously I still haven't heard from some screening firms/I haven't scheduled others yet?"

Haha, ok. I don't know if I was expecting that, or if these responses are sarcastic. I definitely don't want to lie though. What if the follow up is, what firms? And I mention a firm that they know someone at etc...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:42 am

LOL if you think individual callback interviewers are following up with people at other firms' recruiting offices to see if you've received callbacks from them, too.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:58 am

I have one callback too, but OCI isn't over. So I'll just say that I'm still waiting for other firms to get back, and that this is the first callback I've gone on "so far."

Alternatively, you can also emphasize that you have other options, like working for your dad's hedge fund or something.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NEVER tell a firm they are your only CB. lie and tell them you have a handfull, but don't mention anywhere specifically. firms want to think you are in demand.
booyakasha wrote:

Haha, ok. I don't know if I was expecting that, or if these responses are sarcastic. I definitely don't want to lie though. What if the follow up is, what firms? And I mention a firm that they know someone at etc...
no, I'm serious... avoid conveying that other firms unanimously find you undesirable.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I have one callback too, but OCI isn't over. So I'll just say that I'm still waiting for other firms to get back, and that this is the first callback I've gone on "so far."

Alternatively, you can also emphasize that you have other options, like working for your dad's hedge fund or something.
If only all of us had parents who were hedge fund managers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 pm

booyakasha wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

no, I'm serious... avoid conveying that other firms unanimously find you undesirable.
Thanks, I'll take the advice. I'm sure they have a good idea of how desirable I am anyway, but you are probably right that they don't want it spelled out so clearly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”