Allen & Overy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Allen & Overy

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:15 pm

NYC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed on a Thursday. Heard back the next Wednesday. New York Office. I go to a T20, on LR.

Congrats, are you accepting the offer? What time did you hear on wednesday?

Yes, I accepted. Think the class size is only gonna be about 14-15, according to HR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed on a Thursday. Heard back the next Wednesday. New York Office. I go to a T20, on LR.

Yes, I accepted. Think the class size is only gonna be about 14-15, according to HR.

Yeah, that's what HR told me. The scary part is they are doing callbacks with ~300 or so applicants. Assuming they offer double the class size, they are accepting only about 10% of callback interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, that's what HR told me. The scary part is they are doing callbacks with ~300 or so applicants. Assuming they offer double the class size, they are accepting only about 10% of callback interviewers.

How do you know they are doing callbacks with 300 or so applicants? That number can't be right.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:16 am

I think their yield is going to be way too high and we're going to get no-offered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote: How do you know they are doing callbacks with 300 or so applicants? That number can't be right.

HR. Call and see what they say. I was surprised to hear that, but I think a lot of New York offices are doing the same thing. (I know at least one other v50 interviewing 200 people for 15 spots.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How do you know they are doing callbacks with 300 or so applicants? That number can't be right.

One of the interviewers threw that number out in my interview too. I think he was saying that they look at 300 candidates (including on-campus interviews, screening interviews, etc.).

I go to CCN and they interviewed three schedules (60 people). I know they interviewed far fewer at lower ranked schools.

I think it would be crazy to interview 300 people for callbacks. For an office of ~150 people, it would be debilitating to host 300 people for 3.5 hours each.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote: One of the interviewers threw that number out in my interview too. I think he was saying that they look at 300 candidates (including on-campus interviews, screening interviews, etc.).

I go to CCN and they interviewed three schedules (60 people). I know they interviewed far fewer at lower ranked schools.

I think it would be crazy to interview 300 people for callbacks. For an office of ~150 people, it would be debilitating to host 300 people for 3.5 hours each.

That doesn't make any sense...I go to another, lower ranked, t-14 and they interviewed 60 here too. (Multiple interviewers.) Unless they only went to 5 t-14s for OCI, it's probably 300 callback interviews. But who knows, maybe I am wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: One of the interviewers threw that number out in my interview too. I think he was saying that they look at 300 candidates (including on-campus interviews, screening interviews, etc.).

That doesn't make any sense...I go to another, lower ranked, t-14 and they interviewed 60 here too. (Multiple interviewers.) Unless they only went to 5 t-14s for OCI, it's probably 300 callback interviews. But who knows, maybe I am wrong.

Maybe you're right... It seems crazy though!

http://www.allenovery.com/AOWEB/GraduateCareers/AdditionalPage.aspx?pageID=10269&countryID=18658&prefLangID=410

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Maybe you're right... It seems crazy though!

http://www.allenovery.com/AOWEB/GraduateCareers/AdditionalPage.aspx?pageID=10269&countryID=18658&prefLangID=410

Yeah, it does seem crazy, but this is probably the new standard. Firms have money, can afford to pay travel, and realize they can get away with small summer classes so they end up being hyper-selective. Other firms in New York are interviewing a similar amount for callbacks. Maybe not 300 for 15 spots, but say 100-200 for 20 spots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:47 pm

HYS, secondary journal, foreign language skills, no working experience
interviewed last Tuesday and got the offer this Monday. Probably will accept the offer because I think this is a good place to do international work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:39 pm

I've looked at their offer rates in the past; it's been like 99 to 100% and they told me they managed to 100% this summer as well; I think we'll be ok. Assuming Europe doesn't dry up, lol.

Return to “Legal Employment”