Changing cities

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Changing cities

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:40 pm

So I have several NYC offers (mostly V5/V10) that I am very interested in. But I see my career eventually ending in the large secondary market where I'm from (think: LA, Chi, Houston, Atlanta). I'd be happy living in NYC for a couple of years, but do you guys think there's a major disadvantage to lateraling to a secondary market as opposed to starting right off the bat there?

Will the work be really that much less cutting edge or interesting in the secondary market V20ish v. NYC V10. And is what they say about NYC working people harder actually true?

Also, what is the deal w/ the bar exam? I know multi-state is fine. But do you generally have to re-take state-specific exam after you change offices? Or is there a way to take them all at once?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Changing cities

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Many states will let you "waive in"

DC lets you waive in right away by passing another bar and getting a hi passing score on the MBE and Prof Resp exams.

Other states (like California) require that you take an "out of state" attorneys bar no matter what. Check the website for the state bars you are interested in. Requirements differ depending how long you have been in practice and where you are going.

Return to “Legal Employment”