paul weiss/goodwin/cahil/jones day/kramer ??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

paul weiss/goodwin/cahil/jones day/kramer ??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:47 pm

please rank/help me decide between paul weiss, goodwin, cahil, jones day, kramer levin.

things that matter to me: corporate, exit options (and prestige to a lesser extent), and QOL/minimum face time (obviously have to sacrifice this for exit options/prestige but it still matters to me)

Anonymous User

Re: paul weiss/goodwin/cahil/jones day/kramer ??

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:48 pm

do you already have an offer from all those firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:52 pm

i have an offer from most of them. the other two i have cb's and am wondering if i should cancel. i am really exhausted and don't wast to go on more cb's but am not sure if i should cancel as it doesn't seem clear cut to me that one firm is clearly better than the others in corporate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Hmm here my two cents (I am considering some of these firms as well).
If you want to do corporate for sure, I would go to Jones Day. Paul Weiss and Cahill are litigation-driven and Kramer has varied practice areas, but corporate is definitely not what keeps the firm competitive.

As for exit options, Paul Weiss and Jones Day are probably your best bets both in terms of prestige and international/domestic presence.

As for quality of life, Jones Day ranks 7th on vault for best firms to work for. Kramer Levin has is known for lower billable hours, but bonuses are contingent upon 2000 hours.

Now, may I ask which two firms you have offers from?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:07 pm

I would say, given the things important to you:

Jones Day > Goodwin > Paul Weiss > Cahill > Kramer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would say, given the things important to you:

Jones Day > Goodwin > Paul Weiss > Cahill > Kramer

Maybe more of a toss-up between Cahill/Kramer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:13 pm

I'd fo Cahill and then Paul Weiss for corporate. Although Cahill is a lower ranked Vault firm. They have great exit options apparentely. Their big source of revenue is representing underwriters in ipos and bond offerings. That means you'll be working for the big banks everyday. Paul Weiss is a pretty underrated corporate team from what I've heard. Here's a good website that law students don't really go to but its a practice group ranking system thats better than chambers because it got way more detail:

Cahill has a bunch of layoffs though but it wont affect you because you won't be working there for 2 years.

http://www.legal500.com/firms/50179/offices/52125

Return to “Legal Employment”